• 174(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Thanks once again wrxtasy
LG OLED C7, Marantz SR7010, Panasonic BD35, Logitech Elite, Virgin V6, Mission 752, Mission 75C, Wharfedall 9.0, BK XLS200 Mk 2, iPhone 6S, Synology 214Play, Wetek Play2 with LibreELEC 8.2.3, Mede8er MED600X3D, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV 4K, NowTV, Airport Extremes
Would it be possible to play a 4K video automatically after boot up?
(2018-05-23, 10:31)wrxtasy Wrote: The AMLogic S905 in the Play2 has no HDR support. 4K Netflix will not work either.

Plug N Play for what you want the Apple TV 4K with the MrMC App (highly modded Kodi Jarvis) is a great 4K HDR combo.
I can play 4K HDR HEVC movies using the Play2 going to my old 1080p TV, I guess the signal going to the old TV has been processed by the Play2 so the TV can play it.

Do you know what type of signal the Play2 would send to a 4K TV when playing 4K HDR HEVC movies
LG OLED C7, Marantz SR7010, Panasonic BD35, Logitech Elite, Virgin V6, Mission 752, Mission 75C, Wharfedall 9.0, BK XLS200 Mk 2, iPhone 6S, Synology 214Play, Wetek Play2 with LibreELEC 8.2.3, Mede8er MED600X3D, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV 4K, NowTV, Airport Extremes
The Play2 can playback 4K HDR but its color output will look washed out simply because the Video Engine in it's S905 chipset does not support HDR at all even if you use a 4K HDR TV. The AML S905X / S905D / S912 chipsets do support HDR.

Thumbs Up 
(2018-05-23, 14:51)wrxtasy Wrote: The Play2 can playback 4K HDR but its color output will look washed out simply because the Video Engine in it's S905 chipset does not support HDR at all even if you use a 4K HDR TV. The AML S905X / S905D / S912 chipsets do support HDR.
 Thats exactly how it looks, thanks for the clarification
Now I have to decide what to get to replace the Play2 with something that will play 4K HDR. My all time favourite media player is the Mede8er as it has such a simple and easy to use interface. I find KODI very good but you cannot just show favourites so it's to easy for my wife to get a bit lost if she presses the wrong button so I would like something that has a similar interface to the Mede8er.

I have been looking at the DUNE HD PRO 4K but no one has uploaded video showing the built in media player working.

There are plent of videos showing how to set it up or to connect to a NAS etc

I also have been looking at the Apple TV 4K but again unfortunatly no one has uploaded a video showing Infuse working.

If anyone to point me to where such videos are I would be very greatfull
Your Google fu needs work...
Around the 11 minute mark you see Infuse

Infuse has a simple, elegant, most would say, really beautiful interface.
Also be aware MrMC is coming out with nice Skin improvements on the Apple TV too:

Click HERE for a look.

For info the Apple TV has No Atmos or DTS:X audio passthrough. All HD audio is loslessly (bit perfect) decoded into 24bit 48kHz multichannel LPCM or downmixed into 5.1 Dolby Digital.

With Infuse you have to pay extra for the "Pro" version to get 4K video playback and such HD audio losless decoding.
It's why MrMC is better value, you pay once for the App and that is it.

Thanks for that wrxtasyt i really appreciate your help.

Infuse does look very good, but so does the latest MrMC.

i will have to try them both and see which I prefer
NVidia Shield update Oreo NOW Smile ........

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/24...ing-today/

PLease post your findings after the update
Hi, returning back after a while away, and have not yet purchased the Odroid C2, and as time has gone by want to review my options before making my purchase...
I currently have UE58MU6120 (Samsung S6 TV), Onkyo surround sound Dolby at 5.1, will be upgrading to Dolby atmos... stream via tv and old raspberry pi for netflix (4k) kodi plex at 4k 1080 etc, with DLink NAS storage with 4k, 1080, STD videos from our bluray etc collection, home pics and video, music etc.. xbox one & xbox360  - would like to add a tv head end in for our digital aerial 

I looked at the odroid c2, but as time has gone on, wondering if this is still the best option....to meet my needs, would Intel NUC, or Nvidia Shield be a better option... would prefer to stay away from Android OS, and keep to Openelec etc.. but open to suggestions to be as future proof as possible, knowing that can change over the years etc 

look forward to messages
option does not need to be for gaming
(2018-05-24, 16:50)solamnic Wrote: NVidia Shield update Oreo NOW
Let's see if the update is indeed available here already Smile

EDIT: Hmpf, not yet.
Hello, I have already read all that info on 1st page, about recommended boxes...but I have recently ran into Xiaomi Mi Box 3 and wanna to ask, if it is also suitable. It is not mentioned in 1st page.

What I need:
- divx, xvid, mp4, vp9, h264, h265 hardware accelerated playback without issues
- 1080p maximum, no 4k...dont have TV for that...but HDR support may come in handy?
- sub or srt subtitles , or integrated in mp4 or mkv files, central or eastern european alphabet support
- DD 5.1 and DTS output to my receiver (old Kenwood KRF-5070 with optical in and CINCH in for DD 5.1 and DTS, no HDMI)
(Xiaomi Mi Box 3 has 3.5mm jack SPDIF output, so maybe some converter to optical Toslink connector or to CINCH connector will be needed?)
- it will be capable to play audio on output I select? So far, I am using KODI with two user accounts - in one, is audio out set to HDMI, so it is played on my TV. And when I want 5.1, I will switch into another account. It is a copy of first one, but there is audio out in KODI set to SPDIF out. So I have audio in movies outputted to AV Receiver. So far, this is only one solution I found, as KODI does not have / does not support direct change of audio output device on remote controller.
- fluent KODI GUI, no lags
- Internet radio plugins for KODI - will stream through wifi
- mp3 playback
- picture viewing
- movies will be on external SSD, connected trough USB. When I will to copy new movie there, I will unplug that SSD, and through usb3.0 on another PC get the movie in it. Then plug it back to Xiaomi for playback. As that will be SSD, i dont expect any problems with USB power requirements. Xiaomi have only wifi and no wired LAN port, so this will be the best way of moving videos in and out.
- decent remote control...for what I read, Xiaomi have good one.

Xiaomi Mi Box 3 itself have Android TV 6.0 OS - is KODI available in play store for this OS? I read that it is somehow limited, compared to classic android system.
It may have AMLogic CPU, but its not sure...can someone confirm?
Even if I need to installl and run KODI from its Android TV OS, its no problem for me. I just need everything to work fine. Or it is needed to flash Libreelec / Openelec distro, because that android TV OS is not suitable?

Thanks
(2018-05-25, 10:16)shiro Wrote: It may have AMLogic CPU, but its not sure...can someone confirm?
The Mi Box cannot run LibreELEC.
In fact if you do not need Android at all for Apps like 1080p Netflix or Youtube etc you would be far better with a SPDIF equipped AMLogic S9xx box running LibreELEC Kodi or OSMC Kodi (Vero 4K). That will give you 5.1 DD / DTS audio over Optical.
Kodi runs much better with LibreELEC.

LibreELEC includes a SAMBA server. You will not even have to disconnected the connected SSD drive to transfer files. Plug it in and transfer over your home Network.

Easiest to setup for 1080p non HDR is the MINIX U1 that comes with SPDIF, an excellent Wireless A2 lite mini keyboard remote in a quality hardware package.
Pretty easy to get LE up and going as well. Read the following section (d) to get an idea:

AMLogic S905(x) - LibreELEC / OSMC - Kodi Krypton - 4K Options (click)

And then we have a wealth of info over on the AMLogic LibreELEC subforums:

Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide (click)

I highly recommend boxes with Wireless remotes, like one of my favourites the MINIX A2 lite. LE Kodi is nice and responsive then.
Plus you can use Kodi's Keymap editor Addon to remap any Keyboard button on the remote to do what you want OR just use Kodi Keyboard shortcuts:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls

So my options could be Minix Neo U9-H or the HiMedia Q10 (is is Q10 over kill)
  • 174(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28