• 177(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-06-10, 16:59)solamnic Wrote: I m sorry but its NOT thats why i sold my Shield and bought an Apple Tv...
Have you checked Apple TV and NVidia Shield playing back 4K content in Kodi on the same TV side by side ? 
I do quantitative testing. I can test and find out what the output is at pixel level. That is why I said earlier that the Shield's native 4K HDR output is close to being perfect. This doesn't apply if you are playing BT.2020 HDR content and the output is BT.709 SDR.
(2018-06-10, 19:00)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-06-10, 16:59)solamnic Wrote: I m sorry but its NOT thats why i sold my Shield and bought an Apple Tv...
Have you checked Apple TV and NVidia Shield playing back 4K content in Kodi on the same TV side by side ? 
This doesn't apply if you are playing BT.2020 HDR content and the output is BT.709 SDR.
Getting away from all the Nerd speak, the core problem all along has been the Shield has had issues with colorspace conversion when switching from viewing BT.2020 (mostly used for 4K HDR) to BT.709 SDR
From my understanding SDR color output would be oversaturated unless you dug deep into settings all the time and manually set the correct SDR colorspace when viewing mixed HDR and then SDR content. Which ends up being a right royal PITA for long term usage for the average user.

It's also exactly why this thread was created:

Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware (click)

Basically users should trust their eyeballs and look out for oversaturation of color output with mixed HDR and SDR usage and color banding when watching 4K HDR content. Auto refresh switching on some platforms may add to the problems as well.

And we have not even started on the subject of 1080p > 4K picture upscaling quality yet. An issue that shows up the bigger and more expensive a display gets. Not just for Kodi but across the whole suite of Apps on 4K media players.

(2018-06-11, 05:44)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-06-10, 19:00)wesk05 Wrote:
This doesn't apply if you are playing BT.2020 HDR content and the output is BT.709 SDR.   
Getting away from all the Nerd speak, the core problem all along has been the Shield has had issues with colorspace conversion when switching from viewing BT.2020 (mostly used for 4K HDR) to BT.709 SDR  

You can't escape nerd speak...

What wesk05 (who knows more about HDR and SDR than most here) was saying - I think - is that the nVidia Shield TV when configured for UHD Rec 2020 output - will output very high quality UHD HDR Rec 2020 content correctly. There are question marks about how accurately the various aspects of HDR metadata are transferred on some platforms (with some outputting the same fixed metadata for all content - ignoring primaries, peak and average light levels etc.)

However if you configure the Shield TV for Rec 709 output and then play Rec 2020 HDR content - the output is not perfect. (And some people incorrectly configure their Shield for 709 output as its a user choice)
Quote:From my understanding SDR color output would be oversaturated unless you dug deep into settings all the time and manually set the correct SDR colorspace when viewing mixed HDR and then SDR content. Which ends up being a right royal PITA for long term usage for the average user.
The issue you are mentioning here is that the nVidia Shield TV outputs at a fixed colour gamut (aka colour space) - either Rec 709 or Rec 2020 (which are based on two different RGB colour primaries) - based on the configuration chosen in settings, and the Shield TV doesn't switch colour gamut/space on a case-by-case basis. It instead uses gamut conversion techniques to convert Rec 709 sources for display in a Rec 2020 colour space. In Nougat this was not perfect (but better than some other colour gamut/space conversions) - and there are suggestions that this will improve again in Oreo. The colour gamut/space conversion has to happen somewhere - the TV's primaries don't change when the HDMI format changes (the TV has to do a gamut conversion)

Ultimately I suspect conversion will become an accepted approach. It certainly may make GUIs easier to handle - and stuff like photos.
(2018-06-14, 00:20)noggin Wrote: I think - is that the nVidia Shield TV when configured for UHD Rec 2020 output - will output very high quality UHD HDR Rec 2020 content correctly. There are question marks about how accurately the various aspects of HDR metadata are transferred on some platforms (with some outputting the same fixed metadata for all content - ignoring primaries, peak and average light levels etc.)
However if you configure the Shield TV for Rec 709 output and then play Rec 2020 HDR content - the output is not perfect. (And some people incorrectly configure their Shield for 709 output as its a user choice)
This is exactly what I was trying to say. Shield's native HDR10 bit output is very accurate except for the missing MaxFALL/MaxCLL in the HDR InfoFrame. Apple TV 4K transmits a complete HDR InfoFrame, but it is not one that matches the source values. It is a generic one (I have mentioned the exact numbers in one of my posts). Some newer displays seem to be adjusting the tonemapping curve based on MaxFALL/MaxCLL.
Hello, any news about colorspace issues with the new Shield Oreo Update?
I have a very specific question, hopefully someone will be able to help me figure out what's best in my case:

Which would have the better Kodi responsiveness: A Xiaomi Mi Box 3 remote or a Logitech Harmony Elite remote for an Intel NUC (NUC5CPYH) with, I am assuming, LibreELEC (I just want the best Kodi performance)? The price difference is irrelevant, I'm only interested in which has the best performance.

Thank you!
Responsiveness is same.  The difference is that the Harmony Elite has a lot more buttons, as well as easily customizable buttons.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
Looking for suggestions for an upgrade to my RaspberryPi 3 B running Kodi on OpenElec. Entirely used for playing .ISO format movies stored on a networked drive over ethernet. Screen is a 75" UHD TV. Content is mixed, some of it 1080p but some of it SD/480P (which doesn't always look so great).

It's functional but erratic and at times will stall or freeze, especially on 1080p files. Not intending to use the system for anything other than Kodi at this point.

My budget could go $250 or even higher if it's worth it to get a stable, high performing, functional system. I have looked at some options including Windows 10, Linux and Android but just get confused about the choices. I do have a home Windows network and there might be an advantage to a Windows system box.

Boxes I have looked at:

Beelink AP34 Mini PC 4GB/64GB Intel Celeron Apollo Lake N3450 HD Graphics 500 Gigabit/BT 4.0/Dual-Band WiFi

Beelink AP34 Pro Mini PC 6GB/64GB Dual HDMI Intel Celeron Apollo Lake N3450 HD Graphics 500 Gigabit/BT 4.0/Dual-Band WiFi USB 3.0

Higher end:

ASUS UN65U-M023M VivoMini Barebones PC with Intel Core i3-7100U and integrated 4K UHD Graphics

Any knowledgeable opinions are welcome.
hi,

i have a shield tv and very happy with it.
Now i need a second unit for the bedroom, but these things are 200€ over here so a bit expensive and the TV is only 1080p.
Can aynone recommend something like the shield but < 100€ ?

need: kodi, netflix, chromecast build in (so android tv box is the only option i guess)
Although the tv is 1080p, it must be able to play 4k mkv's and downscale it to 1080p.

The xiaomi box looks interessting, but i've heard its buggy....
@sharkzor
I use a couple of Xiaomi Mi Boxes in the bedrooms and they are buggy, but they're cheap and do the job. Other Android boxes I'm using are two MINIX NEO U9-H boxes with the A3 remote. A little over your
set price, but definitely a better box than the Xiaomi.
i am quite hopeless, got rpi3 with Libreelec instaled (8.2.5)
+ hifiberry for digital out output to my reciever.
But i cannot find a way how to play 3D full HD ISO (FP format) 
i read dozens of posts but nothing works for me.

I am connecting to Epson tw6100 projector, trying with this demo file https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples (first 3D clip) 
(Full HD HDMI modes for stereoscopic 3D is enabled)

Some advices?
Can you tell me in what ways the Minix is(much?) better(also regarding the price diference?)
I have the Xiami Mi Box 3, almost from beginning of introduction and it works great. Imo by far the best box for the price. It's only a third of the Shield price!
(2018-06-26, 22:54)gerardo Wrote: I have the Xiami Mi Box 3, almost from beginning of introduction and it works great. Imo by far the best box for the price. It's only a third of the Shield price!
 Doesn't the Mi Box output at a fixed refresh rate? That makes it a non-starter for many of us who need 23.976/24.000/50/59.94Hz dynamic output switching.
(2018-06-28, 16:01)noggin Wrote:
(2018-06-26, 22:54)gerardo Wrote: I have the Xiami Mi Box 3, almost from beginning of introduction and it works great. Imo by far the best box for the price. It's only a third of the Shield price!
 Doesn't the Mi Box output at a fixed refresh rate? That makes it a non-starter for many of us who need 23.976/24.000/50/59.94Hz dynamic output switching. 
Yup, there's no refresh rate switching.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
  • 177(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28