• 178(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Hi thanks for the info I am currently looking at these boxes:

MINIX NEO U1

HiMedia A5

or 
HiMedia Q5 Pro

mainly for Kodi and playing games I have a 4K tv, 100Mb cable and 5G wifi, I tried the MXQ 4K but kodi kept crashing, I was going to order the Beelink GT1 Ultimate but found this thread, any recommendations 

thanks
If you are buying an Android device these days for Kodi and for playing games, it's no contest IMHO the NVIDIA Shield is the best out there simply because it's running up to date Android Oreo and has the most powerful GPU plus comes packaged with an integrated games controller.

Be aware the HiMedia Q5Pro does not even run Kodi properly, it uses Kodi as a front end interface to the run external media player software and I believe it still has 24p playback issues.

In the AMLogic family the S912 series has the best GPU for playing games and the most sorted out one of those is the MINIX U9.

Thanks for the reply I thought I read stay away from AMLogic S9xx hardware ? as they are cheap rubbish? I looked at the Shield but will not be playing games that often more to keep the missus entertained I have a gaming PC 

So fo a solid 4K Kodi box you recommend the MINIX U9-H I am looking for a smooth interface which will play streams well at 1080 - 4k the TV has WebOS but if everything could run from the box instead that would be great, Netflix UHD, PLEX as the one in WebOX is old.

What about the Tx9 Pro or  T95Z plus

thanks again
(2018-06-29, 07:52)NomadMike Wrote: Thanks for the reply I thought I read stay away from AMLogic S9xx hardware ? as they are cheap rubbish?
AMLogic anything with poor cheap Android (buggy) Marshmallow Firmware = rubbish. Included Infra Red remotes are usually poor as well.

Most people ditch Android on cheap 4K AMLogic devices anyway and simply run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton with a USB dongle type Wireless remote.
Read Post #1 again there is lots of info about doing this. Great bang for the buck if all you want if 4K Kodi.

Recent versions of AMLogic Android Nougat are much better and the MECOOL M8S Pro L with Voice remote rules this space. 1080p Netflix only however and it needs a USB3 > Gigabit adapter for high bitrate 4K HDR video playback.

Quote:So for a solid 4K Kodi box you recommend the MINIX U9-H I am looking for a smooth interface which will play streams well at 1080 - 4k the TV has WebOS but if everything could run from the box instead that would be great, Netflix UHD, PLEX as the one in WebOX is old.
The MINIX U9 will not give you 4K Netflix. It's a DIY type Android box. Excellent for 4K HDR LibreELEC Kodi tho.

By "Solid", you mean stable with excellent picture quality and smooth video playback including the 24p 4K Netflix - I highly recommend the powerful Apple TV 4K.
Simply because of it's Apple tvOS Frame Rate & Dynamic Range(for SDR and 4K HDR) Matching support. Pretty much Plug N Play - it just "works"
Then simply use the MrMC App (highly modded Kodi Jarvis) on it. Plex support is built into MrMC.
Excellent Firmware support from Apple.
If you are in the USA these are bargain - $105 with a DirecTV deal. (do a Google search)

If you do not care about Frame Rate Matching and smooth Netflix 24p Video playback then the just updated Oreo OS - Xiaomi Mi Box is great value for money for a 4K Android TV device.
It's got one of the best Wireless remote's in the business and it's pretty snappy with Android TV Oreo.
However you cannot use NTFS formatted HDD's on it currently and need to use a Ugreen USB3 > Gigabit adapter for high bitrate Bluray 4K (networked) video playback. No idea how Plex runs with the new Oreo OS.

Thanks for the reply - I am based in Thailand, Lazada have the Apple TV for 7,100 Baht or I could get the Shield for 10,000 baht which is starting to push my budget I could get an XBox One and load Kodi on that for 20,000 baht - the MI box seems more affordable but with no Ethernet port I would need to add a 5G wifi dongle or use a decent USB 3 stick, also there seems to be a few variations on https://www.lazada.co.th : 3c 4c 3s 

and this which is the international version? https://www.lazada.co.th/products/xiaomi...O&search=1 

I do like the look of the UI for the MI never been a fan of Apple products, I would have to buy an apple drive, apple keyboard etc I imagine 

So it looks like the Mi Box should do the job if I buy some extras
(2018-06-29, 11:00)NomadMike Wrote: I do like the look of the UI for the MI never been a fan of Apple products, I would have to buy an apple drive, apple keyboard etc I imagine 

So it looks like the Mi Box should do the job if I buy some extras
The Apple TV 4K is Plug N Play which means no need for Keyboards or anything. Only thing it does not come with is a HDMI 2.0a cable.
You have to use home Networked file storage to play your own content with it, you cannot plug in a hard drive.

Be VERY careful about plugging anything into the Mi Box and thinking it will just work. Only buy know working adapters.
And the known working USB3 > Gigabit (Hub) Ethernet adapter is the Ugreen one with the compatible ASIX chipset.

The Mi Box already has Dual band 2.4/5GHz AC WiFi on board, no need to buy anything extra.

Also be aware Xiaomi are about to re-release an updated Mi Box where the only change I believe will be Bluetooth and more buttons on the Bluetooth remote for Google Assist and Netflix.
Existing International Model's - MDZ-16-AB - Mi Boxes (the correct one in your Link) may even drop in price once the new model is on the market.

Thanks for the reply, I can see the Nvidia Sheild being a great choice what about the new Rockchip RK3399 boxes bit closser to my budget 

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/era-rk...&search=1?
Forget about Rockchip - about the last on the list of devices you want to use with Kodi.
Do not get Dazzled by fancy Tech Specs, that is a fools way of buying a cheap media player.

No DRM, No HDCP, No Netflix Approval, No Google Certification = you cannot even stream 720p Netflix at all. Avoid.

Pick something we know that works:
- Mi Box
- NVIDIA Shield
- Apple TV 4K

A huge thank you for all the info, looks like I will be getting the Nvidia Sheild for my new box :-) after checking the port specs on my TV it doesn't have HDMI 2.0 so I will not get the full 60fps I was aiming for looks like a new TV next year see if the QLED prices come down, the TV comes with Netflix which runs 4k presumably at the full 60 fps so the Sheild will give me my streams (most TV streams are not 4k yet) and we can play games which will keep the GF happy.

thanks again for the help.
Hi everyone. I'm a newbie and I really don't understand a lot of what you guys are saying here, sorry.
I read the first page and signed up because I want a TV box to replace my old Asus mini play.
I will use it mainly to see movies and series I have on my HD. I will connect the box to my Yamaha a/v receiver. HD sound and image are very important to me, as I have a 7.1 receiver and a 4K TV. Does the boxes you recommend already have the OS LibreElec or will I have to do it myself?
And what devices do you recommend?
Thanks in advance.
(2018-07-02, 16:44)Pedrohdi Wrote: Hi everyone. I'm a newbie and I really don't understand a lot of what you guys are saying here, sorry.
I read the first page and signed up because I want a TV box to replace my old Asus mini play.
I will use it mainly to see movies and series I have on my HD. I will connect the box to my Yamaha a/v receiver. HD sound and image are very important to me, as I have a 7.1 receiver and a 4K TV. Does the boxes you recommend already have the OS LibreElec or will I have to do it myself?
And what devices do you recommend?
Thanks in advance.
You will have to install LibreELEC yourself, like the first post said, it's a DIY device, so if you think you CAN do it, go for it. I recently bought one, and the playback is flawless on LibreELEC, with 4k HDR support along with High res audio formats. But with stock firmware (Android), its quite buggy. Keep in mind, AMLogic boxes are preffered since the commnity support is better.

If you're not into DIY and just want something plug and play, go for something like the Apple TV or nVidia Shield.
Thanks for the info. The Apple TV doesn't have a USB port, so it doesn't work for me because I'm gonna watch the movies from my external HD drive. I've been watching the Wetek Play2, do you guys think it's a good buy to watch movies in 4K on kodi?
(2018-07-03, 11:43)Pedrohdi Wrote: I've been watching the Wetek Play2, do you guys think it's a good buy to watch movies in 4K on kodi?
4K HDR Kodi = DIY AMLogic S912 box and run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on it. LOTS of guides and people to help with this.
Get one with a Wireless USB dongle remote (like MINIX A2 lite) if you want far less hassles.

Plug n Play - 4K HDR Kodi = Vero 4K (S905X). Literally plug in power and it boots straight into Kodi. It could not get any simpler. Comes with a USB dongle Wireless remote.

At the ultra budget end, even dirt cheap DIY AMLogic 4K HDR - S905W devices are reasonably quick...
when given a bit of a GPU OverClock - LibreELEC tickle. Wink
Again use with a USB dongle Wireless remote for great Kodi responsiveness.

The common theme here is if you want a Kodi Krypton, that is snappy and responsive - make sure you use a Wireless remote ! Smile

The AMLogic LibreELEC S9xx or Vero 4K devices have reliable 1080p <<-->> 4K Kodi Krypton auto resolution switching as well to optimise picture outputs when used with a 4K TV, and mixed 1080p/ 4K video content.

Be aware for reliable High Bitrate 4K HDR Bluray REMUX Rips video playback you really need to be using a NTFS formatted Hard drive or a 1000M (Gigabit) Ethernet box.
Or a USB3 > Gigabit LAN adapter on 100M (Fast Ethernet) only boxes.

Thank you, I'm going to check the Vero 4k. It seems to be exactly what I need.
Hello, very nice guide! I have a Samsung MU6400 4K TV and I am looking to buy a TV Box for 4K HDR Kodi and maybe a little moonlight with nvidia game stream. My budget (90$ max) doesn't support NVidia Shield or the MINIX U9-H unfortunately... From my research I have ended up between Mi TV Box and a DIY Beelink GT1 Ultimate sideloaded with LibreELEC. Which of these two you think will be the best for my requirements? Do you have something else to suggest that suits my budget? Thanks in advance.
  • 178(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28