• 185(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Hi,
On  Raspberry PI 3 B+ ,
Which settings of 3D do you run on the Libreelec to show MVC 3D ?
Do you see " Hardwared " option ?
why does it show me always when the TV play the 3D Movie " OVER/UNDER" Mode , this is the 3D MVC Mode ?

Thanks.
any of the boxes out there meet those criteria:

-Kodi 18 on LibreElec or similar
-Netflix addon support up to 1080p
-4k/60Hz video playback
-1 GBit Ethernet
-support for RC6 remotes (Logitech Harmony One)
(2018-09-08, 02:04)_novalis Wrote: any of the boxes out there meet those criteria:

-Kodi 18 on LibreElec or similar
-Netflix addon support up to 1080p
-4k/60Hz video playback
-1 GBit Ethernet
-support for RC6 remotes (Logitech Harmony One)
From memory you would be looking at Intel Apollo Lake or Gemini Lake at least so it can Hardware decode 10bit HEVC, needed for 4K.

1080p Netflix with LibreELEC Leia and the Kodi Netflix Addon would need something with a decent CPU package because that copy protected content needs to be Software decoded when running a Linux based OS.

Otherwise you use a dedicated Windows Netflix App.

Netflix is much easier to use on devices with a dedicated App, and for that the Apple TV 4K does it better vs any other platform.

(2018-09-08, 10:43)wrxtasy Wrote: Netflix is much easier to use on devices with a dedicated App, and for that the Apple TV 4K does it better vs any other platform.

Thanks wrxtasy, but I actually knew all that. That's why I was asking if there was a box out there which could do this stuff.
So I was also at the point that probably only a PC could do that. Even without the 4K requirement, which is not that important for at the moment, but for the future. Would have prefered a cheaper solutution though.
I also prefere the Kodi integrated Netflix solution. I just love the fact that you can export Netflix shows and movies to your own library. And having everything under one roof.

And about Apple.... I would never do that Wink
Android Kodi Leia running on Android devices with Widevine L1 DRM in Firmware, can use Hardware decoding for 1080p h264 Netflix streams.

The cheapest, Gigabit equipped, bang for the buck one of those would be MECOOL K1 Pro:
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...tv-version

Specific L1 DRM Android devices like the Shield, MINIX U9 and WeTek Play2 can also do Android Kodi Leia auto refresh switching when playing 24p Netflix Kodi Leia as well with 5.1 DD+ or DD audio.

(2018-09-08, 13:15)wrxtasy Wrote: The cheapest, Gigabit equipped, bang for the buck one of those would be MECOOL K1 Pro:

And the Mecool K1 Pro would run the Netflix Addon under Kodi 18 only with the freaktab rom?
Libreelec?
1080p with Android Kodi Leia only.
No matter which Android OS you use.

The AML S9xx devices can only do Max. 720p Netflix when using LibreELEC Kodi Leia and the Netflix Addon.

As I said Intel LibreELEC would have the CPU ponies to do 1080p LE Netflix.

(2018-09-08, 13:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Android Kodi Leia running on Android devices with Widevine L1 DRM in Firmware, can use Hardware decoding for 1080p h264 Netflix streams.

The cheapest, Gigabit equipped, bang for the buck one of those would be MECOOL K1 Pro:

Specific L1 DRM Android devices like the Shield, MINIX U9 and WeTek Play2 can also do Android Kodi Leia auto refresh switching when playing 24p Netflix Kodi Leia as well with 5.1 DD+ or DD audio.
 Wrxtasy, I can't get Netflix to run in the Android Kodi Leia, it requires Chrome, but that will not install, and Kodi can't use the Android Chrome.  Do you have a link, on how to do this?? thanks
@wrxtasy 

I've seen a couple mentions on this, but nothing solid: do you know if the auto-colorspace issues with the Shield are really solved since the update to Oreo?

I need something that does 4K HDR, and bitstreams audio (TrueHD, Atmos, DTS:X, etc) to my 2018 Denon. Quality Amlogic boxes are hard to come by (especially anything with Gig Ethernet) at a reasonable price for me.

Cheers,

Ricardo
(2018-09-11, 15:22)ricarva Wrote: @wrxtasy 

I've seen a couple mentions on this, but nothing solid: do you know if the auto-colorspace issues with the Shield are really solved since the update to Oreo?
You need to do some self reading like these threads....

Why is 4K (Shield) image quality bad ? (click)

and....

Color space issue – Shield Experience 7.0

and finally....

Disable upscaling in Nvidia Shield? (4K/UHD)

By comparison in real world viewing situations, I've struggled to find people complaining about Apple TV 4K color outputs or picture quality.

There is also another very interesting thread over on the Vero 4K forums regarding dodgy mastering of specific 4K HDR Blurays from film studios where the display luminance is not set correctly, and media player workarounds have to be implemented:

HDR too dark on LG OLED - Vero 4K / Vero 4K + - OSMC Forums (click)

I suspect this is why Apple are doing HDR10 Metadata re-mapping and achieving pretty good results in the real world when using Apps like MrMC and Infuse.

The NVIDIA Shield might be a pretty flexible media player, but picture quality and picture upscaling are not it's strengths, even with Oreo.

I would wait till we see what tvOS 12 on the ATV4K brings to the table with it's incoming Atmos audio support on the 13th Sep.

The S905D AMLogic boxes come with Gigabit Ethernet. It's what the new Vero 4K+ is sporting under the hood !

Cheap S912 boxes with GigaE are the Tanix TX92 / Vorke Z6, Belink GT1 series, H96 Pro+ etc.
Just use a quality Wireless remote like the MINIX A2 lite with them.
You would need to open the cheap S912's up and do a minor mod on the heatsink with a tiny blob of Thermal Silver paste if you want those thermally stable long term.

(2018-09-12, 02:41)wrxtasy Wrote: There is also another very interesting thread over on the Vero 4K forums regarding dodgy mastering of specific 4K HDR Blurays from film studios where the display luminance is not set correctly, and media player workarounds have to be implemented:
I suspect this is why Apple are doing HDR10 Metadata re-mapping and achieving pretty good results in the real world when using Apps like MrMC and Infuse.
The specific issue being discussed in that thread has nothing to do with dodgy mastering. It is the Vero 4K that is for whatever reason unable to read the HDR metadata in HEVC SEI messages of concatenated m2ts files. Yes, there are some studio titles that do not have complete HDR metadata, but that's a different problem.

I can't quite agree with what Apple TV 4K is doing. Replacing the original source HDR metadata with a generic one might work for titles that were graded similar to those values. Titles that are graded on Dolby Pulsar can have upto 4000 nits code value in the content. Apple TV's HDR InfoFrame is set for 1000 nits. Those titles are definitely going to look different on displays that do great tonemapping like the LG OLEDs and Sony X900F & A1E.
(2018-09-12, 03:41)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-09-12, 02:41)wrxtasy Wrote: There is also another very interesting thread over on the Vero 4K forums regarding dodgy mastering of specific 4K HDR Blurays from film studios where the display luminance is not set correctly, and media player workarounds have to be implemented:
The specific issue being discussed in that thread has nothing to do with dodgy mastering. It is the Vero 4K that is for whatever reason unable to read the HDR metadata in HEVC SEI messages of concatenated m2ts files. Yes, there are some studio titles that do not have complete HDR metadata, but that's a different problem.

I see happy to stand corrected.

Quote:I can't quite agree with what Apple TV 4K is doing. Replacing the original source HDR metadata with a generic one might work for titles that were graded similar to those values. Titles that are graded on Dolby Pulsar can have up to 4000 nits code value in the content. Apple TV's HDR InfoFrame is set for 1000 nits. Those titles are definitely going to look different on displays that do great tonemapping like the LG OLEDs and Sony X900F & A1E.
Can current HDR displays even get to 4000 Nits ?
What happens if they cannot for "those" specific titles ?

(2018-09-12, 04:25)wrxtasy Wrote: Can current HDR displays even get to 4000 Nits ?
What happens if they cannot for "those" specific titles ? 
There are no consumer displays available that can output 4000 nits. This is where the mastering display luminance data in the HDR InfoFrame comes into play. It tells the display to adjust its tonemapping function. ITU Report BT.2390 has elaborated on how a display can normalize the PQ values based on its own maximum output and the mastering display peak output. Display manufacturers could be using a similar function.
(2018-09-12, 02:41)wrxtasy Wrote: Cheap S912 boxes with GigaE are the Tanix TX92 / Vorke Z6, Belink GT1 series, H96 Pro+ etc.
Just use a quality Wireless remote like the MINIX A2 lite with them.
You would need to open the cheap S912's up and do a minor mod on the heatsink with a tiny blob of Thermal Silver paste if you want those thermally stable long term. 
Do you have a link to show how to do the minor heatsink mod?

Have you done it to one of your boxes, what was the result?
(2018-09-12, 07:28)Jeffers24 Wrote: Do you have a link to show how to do the minor heatsink mod?

Have you done it to one of your boxes, what was the result?
Heatsink Mod details are in THIS thread (click)

• 185(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28