• 186(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Thanks for your inputs @wrxtasy and @wesk05

The Apple TV is wrong for me on a bunch of different levels (no other Apple devices, price is much too high, etc). The Shield is sub-par on the video end of things (fully agree that correct colorspace switching is required, and apparently Oreo only allows for *conversion*). Vero 4k+ is currently on a month-long shipping waiting list, and any other s905d box is very hard to get over here.

First-world problem, sure, but still... :-\
(2018-09-12, 11:20)ricarva Wrote: Thanks for your inputs @wrxtasy and @wesk05

The Apple TV is wrong for me on a bunch of different levels (no other Apple devices, price is much too high, etc). The Shield is sub-par on the video end of things (fully agree that correct colorspace switching is required, and apparently Oreo only allows for *conversion*). Vero 4k+ is currently on a month-long shipping waiting list, and any other s905d box is very hard to get over here.

First-world problem, sure, but still... :-\
We will finish the Vero 4K + backlog in 16 days at this rate and we are working as fast as we can to get the units out (including working over weekends). 
Where are you? Some of our resellers may have some stock. 

Cheers,
 Sam
@Sam.Nazarko, thanks for chiming in.

I'm in Portugal: do you have any retailers over here?

I've been looking at the Vero 4k+ for the past week; would have been a no-brainer if not for the wait time. Will probably just bite the bullet, now.
Unfortunately we don't have any Portuguese retailers yet. Do you have some suggestions for some stockists?
We deliver worldwide for free, so you can order from us in the interim. We have enough stock and we are producing more units; but we have a shipment backlog which we are still working through.

Sam
(2018-09-12, 14:04)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Do you have some suggestions for some stockists?
I'd have to reach out to some folks to get an idea of the interest in stocking Vero over here. For reference, and apart from Amazon, who else do you have as retailers in other parts of the world?

Cheers,
We are currently stocked by CPC / element14; ModMyPi; Chicago Electronics; RPIShop (CZ); BOTLAND (PL); NiceGear; Adafruit; WElectron; BuyAPi; Pi-Supply. I'm expanding this, but haven't been pursuing this too much until we catch up on the backlog.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so feel free to ping [email protected] or send me a PM here if you have some ideas re. stockists in PT. 

Cheers

Sam
I'm trying to decide between getting a cheapish $65 S912 box or to pony up the extra cash for the Vero4k+. Ideally, I'd like to get the cheaper option. 

I've been trying to go through all of this thread to get some decent information on the limitations of the S912 chipset. From what I've gathered, the 912 will no longer be able to be updated bast Kodi v.18. 

I'm sure there aren't any concrete answers given that this is all in the future, but what are the downsides of not being able to keep up to date with Kodi on the 912? If I'm able to just get my 4K and HD Audio from the 912, will it matter that it won't get updated?
(2018-09-13, 02:58)opiumskittles Wrote: I'm trying to decide between getting a cheapish $65 S912 box or to pony up the extra cash for the Vero4k+. Ideally, I'd like to get the cheaper option. 

I've been trying to go through all of this thread to get some decent information on the limitations of the S912 chipset. From what I've gathered, the 912 will no longer be able to be updated bast Kodi v.18.
That will be for any of the Linux Kodi forks only. Android Kodi will still work past Kodi v18 Leia on S912's.

Quote:I'm sure there aren't any concrete answers given that this is all in the future, but what are the downsides of not being able to keep up to date with Kodi on the 912? If I'm able to just get my 4K and HD Audio from the 912, will it matter that it won't get updated?
Maybe some of the 3rd party Kodi Addons may cease to work going forward, but for 4K HDR and HD audio with high quality Deinterlacing throw into the mix on a pretty snappy device, I'm not seeing many downsides to be honest even sticking with Kodi Krypton.
Maybe mySQL database incompatibilities between different Kodi versions running on different devices in the one household might be an issue if you use that.

I'm sure stuff like Scrapers for audio and video Metadata can be updated over time if there are issues.

Some of us figure by the time a stable Kodi v19 comes around we will likely see faster, cheaper hardware anyway, it's just the way the upgrade cycle goes.

Thank you so much for the quick reply, your advice, and all the work you do. 

I'm gonna try the 912.
(2018-09-13, 03:41)wrxtasy Wrote: That will be for any of the Linux Kodi forks only. Android Kodi will still work past Kodi v18 Leia on S912's.
Quote: 
Thanks for clearing that up, I too was under the mistaken understanding that Kodi 19.X onwards would not work on the S912
(2018-09-13, 03:41)wrxtasy Wrote: Maybe some of the 3rd party Kodi Addons may cease to work going forward, but for 4K HDR and HD audio with high quality Deinterlacing throw into the mix on a pretty snappy device, I'm not seeing many downsides to be honest even sticking with Kodi Krypton.
Maybe mySQL database incompatibilities between different Kodi versions running on different devices in the one household might be an issue if you use that.

I'm sure stuff like Scrapers for audio and video Metadata can be updated over time if there are issues.

Some of us figure by the time a stable Kodi v19 comes around we will likely see faster, cheaper hardware anyway, it's just the way the upgrade cycle goes. 

A lot of the newer streaming compatibility hasn't been implemented on Krypton has it? Stuff like the MPEG-DASH streaming that lets you watch BBC iPlayer UHD stuff - and manually select streams? Or have I missed that? I thought that was Leia only?
(2018-09-13, 04:00)opiumskittles Wrote: I'm gonna try the 912.
 S912 is faster than any S905, but choose carefully. In cheep boxes it tends to overheat very quickly. Either buy something like X92 box on which you can easily upgrade passive cooling, or buy a Minix Neo U9-h that has an appropriate heat sink on board.
Hi, 

Probably been asked before but I can't find a straight answer. Is it possible with the nvidia shield to watch 4k hdr files on a 1080p non-hdr display without getting the washed out colors ? I've tried with Kodi 17, SPMC to no avail.

thanks
(2018-09-14, 14:27)sarlan19 Wrote: Hi, 

Probably been asked before but I can't find a straight answer. Is it possible with the nvidia shield to watch 4k hdr files on a 1080p non-hdr display without getting the washed out colors ? I've tried with Kodi 17, SPMC to no avail.

thanks
Ask THESE guys (click) how it is possible in the Shield thread.

Hi!
I would like to know which box you would recommend for my requirements as I have a 1440p 
I don't mind flashing ROMs, use modded APK's, etc.

I need:

1Gbit Lan
At least 1080p Netflix
IPTV without crashes/lags, etc.
1440p Youtube :p

I was thinking on Wetek Play 2, but it's now abandoned and i like to get updates. It's essencial. Even costum rom's are dead for WP2, too sad.

Thank you!
  • 186(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28