• 191(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
@Sam.Nazarko the Raspberry-oriented OSs have been optimized for abrupt power off (ie, no data loss will occurr, more so if you use an external DB for your media library) and I tought that LibreELEC/OSMC native devices worked in the same way.. ie, if I power them down without notice.. will something 'bad' happen?
The device has an ext4 filesystem which is robust. There is a file system check (fsck) run on every boot.
If you pull the plug during a write, you could lose some data. We recommend that you shut down the system properly.

You won't break the device, but you could lose some data or at worst earn yourself a reinstall
Ordered Tanix TX92 - 3GB RAM and 64 GB ROM, going to order external storage for Librelec.
What is recommenced USB stick or micro sd card? And what size?
See the previous page for Samsung EVO microSDHC - 16G or 32GB is plenty, OR you can also simply use any 'ol cheap one to boot into LibreELEC or CoreELEC and copy the most used Data partition into faster internal eMMC Flash storage.

[HOWTO] Boot from SD card, use internal memory for data (click)

(2018-11-03, 13:29)zacmessi08 Wrote: Ordered Tanix TX92 - 3GB RAM and 64 GB ROM, going to order external storage for Librelec.
 Really bold move...
Tanix has a really bad reputation regarding their players...
For LE or CE use, it should be fine. And Freaktab has custom Android regular/TV ROMs you can use.
(2018-11-04, 22:08)hdmkv Wrote: For LE or CE use, it should be fine. And Freaktab has custom Android regular/TV ROMs you can use.
 Had really bad experience with tanix tx3 mini Smile
I know they aren't the fastest but I have had solid performance on the firestick 2.
I'm looking to buy a Kodi box from the 11/11 Single's Day sales. I expect it to support 4K video playing from a NAS (bitrate iPhone videos 54 Mb/s to DJI videos 100 Mb/s). The gigabit connection is a must, either built-in or with a USB adapter. Which one would you recommend?
I currently have two Windows 7 Media Center PCs that I would like to retire.  They a both are clients to a Windows 2016 Server with MyMovies installed.  My goal is really to just be able to play DVD Folders and Blu-Ray ISOS.

I don't need wireless, or bluetooth, just fast reliable playback of the DVD and Blu-Rays.  I'd prefer the device be dedicated to Kodi.

I'm thinking ODROID-C2 running LibreELEC but wanted to see if there is anything else I should be considering at this price point.  I'd prefer something with Gig Ethernet to minimize buffering.

Thanks!
(2018-11-07, 14:37)Ollifi Wrote: I'm looking to buy a Kodi box from the 11/11 Single's Day sales. I expect it to support 4K video playing from a NAS (bitrate iPhone videos 54 Mb/s to DJI videos 100 Mb/s). The gigabit connection is a must, either built-in or with a USB adapter. Which one would you recommend?

Exactly what type of 4K ?
4K HDR to a 4K HDR capable TV ?

Plug n Play or DIY with LibreELEC / CoreELEC ?

(2018-11-07, 18:43)dolsey01 Wrote: I don't need wireless, or bluetooth, just fast reliable playback of the DVD and Blu-Rays.  I'd prefer the device be dedicated to Kodi.

I'm thinking ODROID-C2 running LibreELEC but wanted to see if there is anything else I should be considering at this price point.  I'd prefer something with Gig Ethernet to minimize buffering.

Thanks!

The SDR only ODROID C2 is fine. Really all you need is one with eMMC storage. SD card storage will be a smidge slower. Not much.
Make sure you get the eMMC > microSDHC adapter, a case - and if you really want to go minimal a USB2 > barrel power connector.
Plus a USB dongle Wireless remote like the MINIX A2 lite, mini keyboard ones - for Kodi Keyboard shortcuts.

I power mine from a USB port on the TV, its a pretty clean setup.

Not sure how expensive MINIX U1 hardware is these days, but that does already come with a MINIX A2 lite wireless remote, quality fast RAM + eMMC and Gigabit as well. It would be a quality SDR only setup.

The RPi 3 Model B+ would also be fine for SDR - DVD's and Bluray's. But lacks hardware decoding if you throw 10bit HEVC encoded content it's way.

Be aware all these ARM based setup's are not the fastest once you start using really demanding 3rd party Skins. If you want a snappy 3rd party skin with that sort of setup grab a cheap ASUS Chromebox and run LibreELEC on it.
In fact if you are going no where near 10bit HEVC content - which you will not with DVD's and SDR 1080p Bluray's only - then a ASUS Chromebox makes a great buy.

(2018-11-04, 18:00)solamnic Wrote:
(2018-11-03, 13:29)zacmessi08 Wrote: Ordered Tanix TX92 - 3GB RAM and 64 GB ROM, going to order external storage for Librelec.
 Really bold move...

Is that so? Seller hasn't shipped my order yet, I can still cancel it.
Which else box would you suggest for 4k HDR10 kodi movie movie playback?
(2018-11-08, 02:21)zacmessi08 Wrote:
(2018-11-04, 18:00)solamnic Wrote:
 Really bold move...

At the cheap end of the market they are all going to be virtually the same. It is cheap hardware after all.
You could ask a whole bunch of users of cheap Android products and they will also tell you to stay away from certain brands as well.

The branded stuff we talk about on the Kodi forums, usually has higher spec RAM, eMMC, WiFi ...
I'm talking about ARM based products like Raspberry, NVIDIA, MINIX, ODROID, Vero, Apple etc etc.

Extra care is usually taken to source higher quality internal components.

ODROID for example even cancel projects or halt hardware production if they cannot source the correct RAM and eMMC at decent prices. It's all about quality control.

At the dirt cheap Android end of the market, you basically end up with components that are the cheapest available for that production cycle.
And often the exact same named boxes will come with different spec - RAM, eMMC and WiFi chips. It's all a bit of a lottery.
Usually the S912 devices at least seem to have common AC WiFi and a bunch of them have GigaE.

(2018-11-08, 04:26)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-11-08, 02:21)zacmessi08 Wrote:
(2018-11-04, 18:00)solamnic Wrote:  Really bold move...

At the cheap end of the market they are all going to be virtually the same. It is cheap hardware after all.
You could ask a whole bunch of users of cheap Android products and they will also tell you to stay away from certain brands as well.

The branded stuff we talk about on the Kodi forums, usually has higher spec RAM, eMMC, WiFi ...
I'm talking about ARM based products like Raspberry, NVIDIA, MINIX, ODROID, Vero, Apple etc etc.

Extra care is usually taken to source higher quality internal components.

ODROID for example even cancel projects or halt hardware production if they cannot source the correct RAM and eMMC at decent prices. It's all about quality control.

At the dirt cheap Android end of the market, you basically end up with components that are the cheapest available for that production cycle.
And often the exact same named boxes will come with different spec - RAM, eMMC and WiFi chips. It's all a bit of a lottery.
Usually the S912 devices at least seem to have common AC WiFi and a bunch of them have GigaE.

Thanks for your detailed reply.
If this is the case I will rather go for minix u9-h or Vero 4k+.
  • 191(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28