• 193(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
Hi everyone.
In this topic https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=334685 I have asked some questions and based on them, I've selected and purchased Odroid C2.

But (as usual) in real life environment, things just didn't go very well for me. So now, I'm forced to re-map my requirements for Kodi box. Could you help me guys with my next choice?

It goes like this:
+ I need to use Kodi 18, because I'm using Netflix addon (by asciidisco) inside Kodi to watch movies from my premium Netflix account (UHD quality)
+ Because Netflix addon cannot use HW decoding, it is using CPU to decode Netflix stream: C2 have not enough power for 1080p, but! I'm still happy with 720p stream! It's good enough for me
+ My local source is networked NAS with 1080p videos. I don't have and I don't need 4K / HDR playback.
+ Feature, that is essentially CRUCIAL for me is PlayerControl tempo up&down (this is from this topic: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2790939). This was a major drawback in C2, because in CoreElec (Kodi 18) it seems like tempo is not working
+ WiFi is a must, because in my current situation, I'm physically unable to connect Ethernet cable to the place where my TV is. So, 5GHz would be nice. Eventually, I can buy WiFi dongle for C2, but as I understand, there are only 2,4G dongles for this device...
+ I need to use RF remote with mini keyboard (like MX3 or similar) and be able to remap keys using in Kodi

So, there's a question: should I be playing more with C2 with different OS and WiFi dongle to achieve my goal (is it even possible to fulfill all my requirements from above?). I can do a workaround with wireless connectivity, but I specifically must have player tempo function. Beside that, all is good with my current C2, except I cannot force Kodi to make use of player tempo.

Or, should I sell this box and but something else? Like I don't know, Nvidia Shield maybe?
(2018-11-10, 06:43)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-11-09, 22:22)Ollifi Wrote:
(2018-11-08, 01:15)wrxtasy Wrote: Exactly what type of 4K ?
4K HDR to a 4K HDR capable TV ?

Plug n Play or DIY with LibreELEC / CoreELEC ? 
 Thanks for the reply. 4K HDR support would be preferred... given I'm looking for a low price it it's probably LibreELEC, the price should be about 50-60$ max.. even lower if possible. 

$60 Max.
You are likely looking at a Gigabit equipped - S912 Tanix TX9 as found over HERE

The problem is all the cheaper S905W, S905X devices have no Gigabit ethernet and usually much weaker WiFi.

If you need a better remote then grab the USB dongle Mini receiver, Wireless (NOT the Bluetooth) one from ......

Just so I know, I believe you still have a good reason. But why do you recommend s912 boxes when they are almost obsolete, because they aren't supported in newer Kodi releases? Isn't the drivers some sort of hack for s912? Is there any active development for s912 GPU drivers?

Thank you
(2018-11-12, 20:27)WeldSpark Wrote:  Just so I know, I believe you still have a good reason. But why do you recommend s912 boxes when they are almost obsolete, because they aren't supported in newer Kodi releases? Isn't the drivers some sort of hack for s912? Is there any active development for s912 GPU drivers?

Thank you 

There is a project to develop open source GPU drivers for the S912 GPU AIUI - and the S912 is a more powerful CPU than the S905X/D AIUI - which is why people are still buying it.

To be honest I wouldn't buy ANY cheap ARM box for a long-term solution though...  (fritsch's rule applies, don't spend more than you need to for future proofing...)
(2018-11-12, 21:34)noggin Wrote:
(2018-11-12, 20:27)WeldSpark Wrote:  Just so I know, I believe you still have a good reason. But why do you recommend s912 boxes when they are almost obsolete, because they aren't supported in newer Kodi releases? Isn't the drivers some sort of hack for s912? Is there any active development for s912 GPU drivers?

Thank you 

There is a project to develop open source GPU drivers for the S912 GPU AIUI - and the S912 is a more powerful CPU than the S905X/D AIUI - which is why people are still buying it.

To be honest I wouldn't buy ANY cheap ARM box for a long-term solution though...  (fritsch's rule applies, don't spend more than you need to for future proofing...)

That's good news about the open source drivers for s912. I'm waiting for something new to take over after s905.

My odroid c2 s905 is what I would consider a cheap box, I have two of them. They have worked very well for several years. I consider it quite future proof, it would just be nice with a little more power. It can decode 4k without a hitch and has for several years been supported as a kodi box with regular updates.

What else is more future proof do you mean? X86, Nvidia shield, or any other recommendations? X86 isn't cost effective and isn't more future proof then my old s905 Odroid c2. What do you buy that's more future proof?
(2018-11-12, 21:54)WeldSpark Wrote:
(2018-11-12, 21:34)noggin Wrote:

Thank you 

That's good news about the open source drivers for s912. I'm waiting for something new to take over after s905.

My odroid c2 s905 is what I would consider a cheap box, I have two of them. They have worked very well for several years. I consider it quite future proof, it would just be nice with a little more power. It can decode 4k without a hitch and has for several years been supported as a kodi box with regular updates.  
The Odroid C2 (I have one too...) with an S905 doesn't do HDR10 output (or handle 10-bit output cleanly?) - that's the benefit of the newer models. But there is always something new to come along... Proper HLG support for broadcast HDR, 8K, 100-120fps, Dolby Vision or HDR10+ support etc.
Quote:What else is more future proof do you mean? X86, Nvidia shield, or any other recommendations? X86 isn't cost effective and isn't more future proof then my old s905 Odroid c2. What do you buy that's more future proof? 

The point I (and Fritsch - who makes the point often and very sensibly) makes is that don't pay more money in order to future-proof. Buy for what you need now, but don't spend a lot on it, and then don't be worried when you have to upgrade more often than you might have expected.  In other words don't spend £1000 on a high end x86 HTPC in the hope that it might do everything you want for the next 5 years, but do be prepared to spend £50-150 every year or two to stay current.
(2018-11-13, 02:12)noggin Wrote:
(2018-11-12, 21:54)WeldSpark Wrote:
(2018-11-12, 21:34)noggin Wrote: There is a project to develop open source GPU drivers for the S912 GPU AIUI - and the S912 is a more powerful CPU than the S905X/D AIUI - which is why people are still buying it.

The Odroid C2 (I have one too...) with an S905 doesn't do HDR10 output (or handle 10-bit output cleanly?) - that's the benefit of the newer models. But there is always something new to come along... Proper HLG support for broadcast HDR, 8K, 100-120fps, Dolby Vision or HDR10+ support etc.
Quote:What else is more future proof do you mean? X86, Nvidia shield, or any other recommendations? X86 isn't cost effective and isn't more future proof then my old s905 Odroid c2. What do you buy that's more future proof? 

The point I (and Fritsch - who makes the point often and very sensibly) makes is that don't pay more money in order to future-proof. Buy for what you need now, but don't spend a lot on it, and then don't be worried when you have to upgrade more often than you might have expected.  In other words don't spend £1000 on a high end x86 HTPC in the hope that it might do everything you want for the next 5 years, but do be prepared to spend £50-150 every year or two to stay current.  
Ah now I understand what you mean about spending, thanks for the explanation.

I can't say anything about HDR10, don't know . But the 4k 264 & 265 sources I've tried has worked flawlessly.

I want progress, I want new hardware, but the last years s905 has dominated when coming to price/performance ratio.

I'm holding my thumbs for s912. But s912 should be the natural successor, right? If it will be supported in newer kodi releases?
(2018-11-13, 02:41)WeldSpark Wrote: I can't say anything about HDR10, don't know . But the 4k 264 & 265 sources I've tried has worked flawlessly.

Ah - my understanding is that all 10-bit content is truncated to 8-bit. This will introduce banding on SDR and HDR 10-bit stuff - but this will be more noticeable in HDR content watched in HDR (you'd have to force your display into HDR10 mode I think as the C2 won't flag that over HDMI as it's an SDR-only box). I don't know what tone mapping the S905 builds to to convert H265 UHD HDR content to SDR. That would be my concern with UHD content on a C2 - unless your content is all SDR (UHD movies are likely to be HDR now, but other content may still be SDR)
Quote:I want progress, I want new hardware, but the last years s905 has dominated when coming to price/performance ratio.

I'm holding my thumbs for s912. But s912 should be the natural successor, right? If it will be supported in newer kodi releases? 

The S905X/D (and now S905X2?) are also successors - as they support HDR10 and a 10-bit decode and output path I believe (some rumblings that there was an 8-bit dither but @wesk05 appears to have demonstrated good 10-bit output) AND have proper Linux GPU driver support which will mean they continue to work in future Kodi releases after Leia (Kodi 18)

The issue with the S912 is that unless the Open Source GPU drivers arrive, the current Krypton/Leia builds that rely on hacked Android GPU drivers (LibHybris?) won't be a solution for Kodi 19 when Kodi moves to the new Linux graphics driver model.

The issue with x86 Intel GPUs at the moment is that under Linux, there is not a huge amount of HDR output (and 10-bit decode?) support - and you need a Core-series CPU (not Celeron / Pentium) for HDR output (Intel use HDR as a premium option). As a result HDR output is only available in Windows at the moment on Intel GPUs AIUI - and in Windows it's fixed at the OS level (I don't know if dynamic HDR metadata is supported)
(2018-11-12, 11:04)Bjur Wrote:
(2018-11-09, 13:46)Bjur Wrote: Hi can't find a good answer to the following questions:

1. I have a D34010WYK can I with Libreelec somehow get auto resolution changing?
2. Can I somehow use Lanczos3 with Librelec on D34010WYK?
 Any help? 
No one has any knowledge about it?
(2018-11-12, 20:27)WeldSpark Wrote: Just so I know, I believe you still have a good reason. But why do you recommend s912 boxes when they are almost obsolete... ?

Because: (using LibreELEC Krypton or CoreELEC Leia- when it is a bit more stable)

a) they are pretty cheap..
b) for the DIY types - easy to dual boot.
c) they are pretty snappy, for the price paid, especially when used with a wireless remote.
d) a lot come equipped with Gigabit Ethernet, needed for high bitrate 4K HDR Bluray Rips playback...
e) they already handle all types of audio passthrough and LPCM
f) they are set and forget SDR / 4K HDR10 Kodi media players WITH correct color outputs.
g) broadcast TV deinterlacing is some of the highest quality you can get for Kodi use.
h) retro gaming in Android (after dual booting) is likely pretty good due to using properly licensed Android - ARM GPU drivers. The T820 MP3 is a pretty decent cheap GPU for a bit if retro gaming.

Honestly I'm not sure what more of Kodi's core features need to be covered in a set and forget type media player.

Because most are cheap, when something better comes along, you simply go out and buy new hardware, if and when the software support has caught up. And as Noggin said upgrade every one or two years.

I'm not even going to speculate what Linux Kernel and driver support will be like by the time Kodi v19 M comes around for cheap 4K HDR10 capable devices running a Linux based Kodi OS. There is a lot of developmental work to go under the bridge before that future Kodi M is released.

In the ARM Chipset - Arms Race, Apple lead all others with some really impressive power under the hood in the ATV 4K (have a look at the very latest iPad Pro's chipset as well), followed by the best networked media player - bang for the buck of 2018 - the Amazon FireTV Stick 4K - yep I'm calling it already !

(2018-11-14, 05:23)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-11-12, 20:27)WeldSpark Wrote: Just so I know, I believe you still have a good reason. But why do you recommend s912 boxes when they are almost obsolete... ?

Because: (using LibreELEC Krypton or CoreELEC Leia- when it is a bit more stable)

a) they are pretty cheap..
b) for the DIY types - easy to dual boot.
c) they are pretty snappy, for the price paid, especially when used with a wireless remote.
d) a lot come equipped with Gigabit Ethernet, needed for high bitrate 4K HDR Bluray Rips playback...
e) they already handle all types of audio passthrough and LPCM
f) they are set and forget SDR / 4K HDR10 Kodi media players WITH correct color outputs.
g) broadcast TV deinterlacing is some of the highest quality you can get for Kodi use.
h) retro gaming in Android (after dual booting) is likely pretty good due to using properly licensed Android - ARM GPU drivers. The T820 MP3 is a pretty decent cheap GPU for a bit if retro gaming.

Honestly I'm not sure what more of Kodi's core features need to be covered in a set and forget type media player.

Because most are cheap, when something better comes along, you simply go out and buy new hardware, if and when the software support has caught up. And as Noggin said upgrade every one or two years.

I'm not even going to speculate what Linux Kernel and driver support will be like by the time Kodi v19 M comes around for cheap 4K HDR10 capable devices running a Linux based Kodi OS. There is a lot of developmental work to go under the bridge before that future Kodi M is released.

In the ARM Chipset - Arms Race, Apple lead all others with some really impressive power under the hood in the ATV 4K (have a look at the very latest iPad Pro's chipset as well), followed by the best networked media player - bang for the buck of 2018 - the Amazon FireTV Stick 4K - yep I'm calling it already ! 

In power terms - particularly GPU (if you are in to gaming) - then the Shield TV with the Tegra X1 can't be ignored either. It's a pretty powerful ARM CPU + GPU combo - and feels like it's snappier than my AMLogic devices. The Apple TV 4K is, as you say, very impressive too. The CPU grunt allowing software 1080i deinterlacing is impressive (and just as well as there doesn't seem to be hardware deinterlacing available?)
(2018-11-12, 16:07)raven6679 Wrote: Hi everyone.
In this topic https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=334685 I have asked some questions and based on them, I've selected and purchased Odroid C2.

But (as usual) in real life environment, things just didn't go very well for me. So now, I'm forced to re-map my requirements for Kodi box. Could you help me guys with my next choice?

It goes like this:
+ I need to use Kodi 18, because I'm using Netflix addon (by asciidisco) inside Kodi to watch movies from my premium Netflix account (UHD quality)
+ Because Netflix addon cannot use HW decoding, it is using CPU to decode Netflix stream: C2 have not enough power for 1080p, but! I'm still happy with 720p stream! It's good enough for me
+ My local source is networked NAS with 1080p videos. I don't have and I don't need 4K / HDR playback.
+ Feature, that is essentially CRUCIAL for me is PlayerControl tempo up&down (this is from this topic: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2790939). This was a major drawback in C2, because in CoreElec (Kodi 18) it seems like tempo is not working
+ WiFi is a must, because in my current situation, I'm physically unable to connect Ethernet cable to the place where my TV is. So, 5GHz would be nice. Eventually, I can buy WiFi dongle for C2, but as I understand, there are only 2,4G dongles for this device...
+ I need to use RF remote with mini keyboard (like MX3 or similar) and be able to remap keys using in Kodi

So, there's a question: should I be playing more with C2 with different OS and WiFi dongle to achieve my goal (is it even possible to fulfill all my requirements from above?). I can do a workaround with wireless connectivity, but I specifically must have player tempo function. Beside that, all is good with my current C2, except I cannot force Kodi to make use of player tempo.

Or, should I sell this box and but something else? Like I don't know, Nvidia Shield maybe?

Get a 2018 Fire TV Stick 4K - they have been on sale for $35 - amazing value.
That device has really good Dual Band MIMO WiFi - the Best you are likely to find at that price, and a really kick ass remote.

The Kodi v18 Netflix Addon can use hardware decoding on any Android devices that have included Widewine L1 DRM in device Firmware.
You will get 1080p Kodi Leia Netflix with that combo.
You also want a device that does Kodi auto refresh rate switching, which means Shield, FireTV Stick 4K or MINIX U9 only.

No idea about Player Control tempo Addon. Find someone with a working combo.

Remapping Keys with any Android device is always fraught with danger because the OS usually intercepts key / remote button presses before any Apps see what has been selected. Android is different vs the Linux OS systems like LibreELEC and CoreELEC.

Thanks for your reply. I've actually already bought Nvidia Shield and it's pretty amazing device.

Kodi 18 works like a charm. Auto refresh rate works. Netflix plugging works. Player tempo speed WORKS [emoji16]

Also, I find it really easy and intuitive to use with Android TV interface. My kid today (4,5 years old) play their cartoons on Netflix by himself with ease.

Eventually, this is the very first device, which actually utilize CEC and when I wake Shield from sleep, it turns the TV to the right input by itself - NONE of my previous devices was able to do that.

Remote remapping is a very minor inconvenience, because it's only my OCD [emoji1787] that I want remap rewind and FF keys. Alternatively I've assigned some other keys and it's still fine (I can live with it).

And, lastly, to my amazement, by accident I found out, that also my TV remote (IR type) works as remote for Shield.

So as for now, I'm really very satisfied.
(2018-11-18, 10:13)raven66 Wrote: And, lastly, to my amazement, by accident I found out, that also my TV remote (IR type) works as remote for Shield.
That's probably your TV sending CEC commands over HDMI to the Shield TV.
Yes, I know, but this the first box, in which it actually works.
Cec is a wonderful idea but it is used terribly by OEMs. On my TCL TV, it works only for on/off and volume when technically it can do a lot more than that..
  • 193(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28