• 195(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-11-26, 00:44)ozkhan1 Wrote: Question for those using OSMC and LibreELEC: Has anybody tried running Android apps on these platforms? Since they are linux systems, I read you can now run android apps on them.

I know you cant get Netflix in ultraHD, but i was hoping youtube in HDR and a few other ones would be able to work on any AMlogic OsMC or LE device.

Thanks

No feedback regarding this one?
(2018-11-26, 21:24)raven6679 Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 21:20)WeldSpark Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 18:49)wrxtasy Wrote: Ultimately CPU intensive Kodi needs Intel iron if you really want snappiness. It's single Core CPU performance is what you want for Python scripted Kodi Addons and Skins, and Intel does that well vs cheap ARM microarchitecture.

The A10X Fusion in the recent Apple TV 4K is the most impressive ARM chipset on the market, it's a bit of a beast !

S912's will be a little bit quicker, but not much at all vs the tweaked C2. Especially if the C2 is already using eMMC flash storage. THIS S912 combo would be cost effective.

Otherwise consider a NVIDIA Shield, that will definately run Kodi v19 M when heading into future Kodi.
Just make sure you can return it if you are one of those unlucky users that has a 4K HDR TV that cannot handle SDR content combined with the colorspace conversion the Shield uses.

Kodi Leia gives ARM devices a bit of a speedup bump as well.
Thank you!

Well Apple TV is not my cup of tea. Nvidia shield is probably the next step if I want a bigger performance bump.

I don't know if my TV is affected I have a Sony 65xf9005?

So next kodi release will make my current devices a bit faster, but s912 won't get that probably. So what I have to choose between is s905 or a Nvidia shield. It's twice the price of a s905 or s912. But with Nvidia shield I will be more future proof.

X86 hardware is quite pricey, I think I will skip that.  
I was in your shoes. Was looking for a budget solution. Can tell you, if you want best value for X piece of money, consider Nvidia Shield.  
I ordered a Nvidia Shield today, I guess compared to x86 it's somewhat a budget solution Big Grin
(2018-11-27, 00:14)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2018-11-26, 00:44)ozkhan1 Wrote: Question for those using OSMC and LibreELEC: Has anybody tried running Android apps on these platforms? Since they are linux systems, I read you can now run android apps on them.

I know you cant get Netflix in ultraHD, but i was hoping youtube in HDR and a few other ones would be able to work on any AMlogic OsMC or LE device.

Thanks

No feedback regarding this one? 
 There will be an Android release for 4K / 4K +
But there's nothing today; so if you need that, you shouldn't buy the device.
Sam, i am trying to avoid android, the underlying OS and hoping to run a few android apps in containers on OSMC, is that possible?
(2018-11-27, 01:01)ozkhan1 Wrote: Sam, i am trying to avoid android, the underlying OS and hoping to run a few android apps in containers on OSMC, is that possible?
 Not really. What apps are you trying to run?

YouTube will get you 1080p max for now. 4K VP9 is possible; but inputstream (Kodi add-on) does not request the 4K stream to my knowledge. I think this is being looked in to.
(2018-11-27, 01:14)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2018-11-27, 01:01)ozkhan1 Wrote: Sam, i am trying to avoid android, the underlying OS and hoping to run a few android apps in containers on OSMC, is that possible?

YouTube will get you 1080p max for now. 4K VP9 is possible; but inputstream (Kodi add-on) does not request the 4K stream to my knowledge. I think this is being looked in to.

You read my mind, sir..

Youtube...sling tv and some asian low key iptv services... most are just 1080 max, except youtube of course..

Have you guys got moonlight working on osmc yet?
(2018-11-27, 01:49)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2018-11-27, 01:14)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:

You read my mind, sir..

Youtube...sling tv and some asian low key iptv services... most are just 1080 max, except youtube of course..

Moonlight: we've slowly made some progress and we're now getting some engagement from Moonlight guys which helps.

YouTube: 1080p for now
SlingTV on Linux: don't think so.
IPTV is IPTV, so you can use the iPTV add-on. 

Hope this helps

Sam
(2018-11-27, 02:43)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:
(2018-11-27, 01:49)ozkhan1 Wrote:
(2018-11-27, 01:14)Sam.Nazarko Wrote:  Not really. What apps are you trying to run?

You read my mind, sir..

Moonlight: we've slowly made some progress and we're now getting some engagement from Moonlight guys which helps.

YouTube: 1080p for now
SlingTV on Linux: don't think so.
IPTV is IPTV, so you can use the iPTV add-on. 

Hope this helps

Sam 
 Thanks for your feedback. I guess I will settle for kodi and moonlight as long as its working, which will be soon hopefully.
See https://github.com/irtimmer/moonlight-em...issues/573. We'll crack it. But not sure when at this point.

Sam
I don't really know where to start looking. I've browsed the recommendations of this thread 5-6 times now and I still haven't been able to narrow down my choices.

I'm looking for:
  • HEVC hardware decoding 
  • something fast enough for Hi10P software decoding
  • Have android app support (or at least allow me to run netflix and amazon prime video in someway)
  • Capable of audio passthrough
I did consider the Odroid C2 and WeTek devices but I'm not sure they are powerful enough for Hi10P decoding. I also did consider the new Fire TV 4K but that again has the same issue (passthrough isn't a big concern here with since it transcodes audio to LPCM). The new Apple TV 4K also looks good but lacks bitstreaming support and for the price that is a fairly big let down. 

Admittedly the passthorugh requirement isn't too important but it is very much preferable.
If you want android, shield TV is the preferred recommendation. Read through its pros and cons at the top..

It was on sale for black friday for a lot lower than its standard price. Not sure if its still on sale.
I have some HVEC x265 10bit files that my Fire Stick 2 won't play because of hardware limitations. I tested the files on my Chromebox loaded with LibreELECT/Kodi and the files play fine. What's the most cost effective replacement for the Firestick? It's a 1080p TV with no special audio requirements so it doesn't need to be anything special, just something capable of playing the 10bit files. Also it would be nice if it ran LibreELEC just because its light and simple and I like it.  

I saw this in the guide:

SDR only:
Best 1080p/4K SDR + HD Audio - Kodi only media player = a tie ODROID C2 or a MINIX U1 (due 10bit HEVC hardware decode capable)
runner(s) up are the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ (1080p only) or ASUS Chromebox (no hardware 8/10bit HEVC video decoding on both)
** Beware you need tip top chipset cooling on RPi's when doing HEVC software decoding. Otherwise expect overheating issues.
All running LibreELEC or CoreELEC Kodi.

Are the ODROID C2, MINIX U1, and Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ the only options? Isn't it correct that the Chromebox can't do hardware decodes of 10bit? Does that mean my Chromebox is doing software decodes? Maybe that's possible without playback issues because the files are 1080p and not 4K?

Thanks
(2018-11-27, 20:02)jbowwow02 Wrote: I don't really know where to start looking. I've browsed the recommendations of this thread 5-6 times now and I still haven't been able to narrow down my choices.

I'm looking for:
  • HEVC hardware decoding 
  • something fast enough for Hi10P software decoding
  • Have android app support (or at least allow me to run netflix and amazon prime video in someway)
  • Capable of audio passthrough

Hi10P = NVIDIA Shield, Intel i series Iron and the Apple TV 4K. Forget anything else ARM chipset based - it won't have the CPU ponies for Hi10P playback reliability when CPU software decoding.
The Apple TV 4K is quite a bit more powerful than the Shield when it comes to CPU Software decoding capabilities.

The only reason to dismiss the Apple TV 4K is if someone needed to bitstream lossless Bluray Atmos audio passthrough because it does this:
Quote:AC3, DTS, Dolby TrueHD & DTS-MA or HRA audio is decoded to multichannel 24bit 48kHz LPCM, for no loss in audio quality.
and of course it does not run the full monty version of Kodi.

The ATV 4K - IS - the 24p Netflix platform of choice because it does Frame Rate Matching with that App. The only platform that can do so.
Plus it does DV and Atmos Netflix.

As always pick what is most important for yourself.

Personally I find a 4K OSMC / LibreELEC / CoreELEC Kodi device combined with the ATV 4K, a great dual box combo that covers everything I need.
Apple's tvOS Apps support is far superior where I live outside the USA vs anything Android TV has to offer.

(2018-11-27, 23:39)bloodlessswine Wrote: I have some HVEC x265 10bit files that my Fire Stick 2 won't play because of hardware limitations. I tested the files on my Chromebox loaded with LibreELEC/Kodi and the files play fine. What's the most cost effective replacement for the Firestick?

The 2018 Fire TV Stick 4K. Mostly everything that can decode 4K, can hardware decode 10bit HEVC.

Yes the Chromebox would be doing CPU software decoding of HEVC - once the bitrate gets to high within those files it will choke.

(2018-11-28, 01:47)wrxtasy Wrote: The 2018 Fire TV Stick 4K. Mostly everything that can decode 4K, can hardware decode 10bit HEVC.

Yes the Chromebox would be doing CPU software decoding of HEVC - once the bitrate gets to high within those files it will choke.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the new Fire Stick would be the most cost effective route. What about a device I could use LibreELEC on?
  • 195(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28