START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-12-08, 17:59)noggin Wrote:
(2018-12-08, 17:26)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2018-12-08, 16:26)noggin Wrote:  A lot of early 4K content was 4K h.264 8-bit and 4K h.264 8-bit content will play on Intels from around Haswell onwards, as these devices had h.264 hardware acceleration that was good enough to play this.

However - real world UHD Blu-ray movies (which can now be ripped) are in 10-bit HEVC/h.265 and usually also in HDR10 format.  This is much more demanding to play - so needs a more recent playback solution - and you also have to factor in the complication of HDR output or HDR->SDR conversion. You will also see that UHD Blu-ray lossless rips can often have very high bitrates - which will also stress network connectivity if you are streaming them from a NAS or similar.

What do you mean by **mobile** format?  A format for playing on mobile phones - or something with smaller file sizes and lower bit rate (and thus lower quality)?     
 I did not know what word to use instead of **mobile**.  I mean a ripped copy of a 4k movie that can be used with a storage device and not a Blue-Ray player.  I am really behind the media cure.  I am still slowly converting my DVD rips to BlueRay rips.  I just purchased the ** Back to the Future ** series on Blue-Ray and ripped them.  I am trying different methods to convert those rips to .h264 or HEVC, natively, they are encoded with VC-1.

Video
ID                                       : 1
ID in the original source medium         : 4113 (0x1011)
Format                                   : VC-1
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Codec ID                                 : V_MS/VFW/FOURCC / WVC1
Codec ID/Hint                            : Microsoft
Duration                                 : 1 h 56 min
Bit rate                                 : 26.9 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.541
Stream size                              : 21.8 GiB (81%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No
Original source medium                   : Blu-ray     

If you have the storage capacity - why not leave them as is? (That said some platforms have issues with high bitrate VC-1 content)

After ripping all my CDs to 192k MP3 back in the day, and then re-ripping them lossless a few years later, I'm now very much of the view that if at all possible it's a good idea to rip DVDs, Blu-rays and UHD Blu-rays losslessly. If there are extras you don't mind not having (and are happy to go back to the discs for) then just ripping the movie can save you a useful amount of space.

There are a number of modern, relatively low cost, Kodi platforms that can playback lossless UHD Blu-ray rips now (such as a number of AMLogic platforms, the nVidia Shield TV etc.)  
You are probably correct about leaving the rips as they are, instead of trying to change the codec to something else.  I have been trying different converter apps and not very successful at it.  Right now, I am trying to convert that "Back to the Future" movie to an HEVC codec using Handbrake, but it takes over 9 hours.  I will see what the results look like.  If I screw up, I can always re-rip the movie. 

And yes, that VC-1 codec plays havoc with some (most) of my Android boxes.

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Nov. 2018) - by clarkss12 - 2018-12-08, 21:00