• 200(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2018-12-29, 12:43)noggin Wrote:
(2018-12-29, 00:16)kraniet Wrote: The COOD-E TV 4K is in the same price range as the vero 4K+ but seem to have better hardware?
The Vero 4K+ developer is @Sam.Nazarko and he is a regular poster here and at the OSMC forums.  He is highly engaged with his end users and you can talk to him.  OSMC, the OS that the Vero 4K+ runs Kodi on, and the bundled Kodi are updated regularly by Sam.

Good luck finding a COOD-E TV developer here and being able to talk to them...  

The difference between the S905D and S912 hardware is not massive in Kodi terms. However the difference in support between the two platforms is likely to be quite big. 

I'd always chose a platform with better support over a platform with better hardware.  All the specs in the world are pointless if you don't get OS updates and nobody is actively developing and improving your platform after you've bought it. (So many of these no-name boxes are stuck with the OS release you get with them, and not ever updated after purchase)  
 Ok, thank you for the info. 
I wasnt trying to offend anyone.

But I guess the Vero has the same problem with not having widevine support?

After alls this hassle with streamers (netflix, hbo etc) Im starting to think if they should get my support.  HBO for one havent even bothered to make an app for xbox one s (!?!) and Netflix are hardware locking their app. Like the support for atmos only being supported in windows, apple tv and some sony tvs.. Not to speak of the 4K function.. 
Not to talk about xbox lack of audio switching and throughput support.. Some "complete media player solution"..
(2018-12-28, 18:16)mutantmike Wrote:
(2018-12-28, 06:08)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-12-28, 04:15)YoJoe Wrote: Just got an Xbox X, it’s stellar for x.265 video but need Kodi for my ISO blu-Ray rip files.

When will Kodi be updated for the X?

Very first post in THIS sub-forum 

Thanks!!

If you were ONLY concerned with streaming from external HDD.... x264, HEVC and ISO files, do you think one of the cheaper Android boxes  like a GooBand Doo or Mibox would be my best bet?

Money not a big issue but would LOVE to spend less than $80

You dont need an Android TV Google Certified device to do what you need. Actually, the S905X will be slower in Kodi under Android TV vs Libre Elec.

I used the Khadas Vim 1 Pro, i got it with the open case, USB Type C Cable and Khadas remote for $54 on eBay.

Just install Libre Elec and it will work. You can also go cheaper by going to the 1GB Le Potato, it is $35 + accesories.

If you need Netflix 4K HDR, you can go with the Fire TV Stick 4K and sideload Kodi + accesories(Gigabit Ethernet USB Hub and OTG Cable).
(2018-12-29, 14:33)kraniet Wrote: Not to talk about xbox lack of audio switching and throughput support.. Some "complete media player solution"..

No one ever said the XBox running what in reality is a development version of Kodi Leia - is a complete solution.
It never makes any of my lists simply because of it's ongoing developmental, inherently unstable status.

And from Post #1 of this thread if Netflix is important:

1080p/4K Netflix and Amazon Video streaming

Q. I need a Kodi box that can play 1080p or 4K DRM copy protected video streams such as Netflix, Amazon Video etc. ?

Important NOTE: Unless you have a HDMI connected Dolby Digital Plus Audio receiver, expect 2.0 Audio only from DD+ copy protected streaming Apps running on ALL - Android TV platforms like the Shield, Mi Box and Jetstream 4k Ultra HD.

If you have older Dolby Digital 5.1 only capable audio receiver hardware, only specific hardware platforms such as the Apple TV's, and Amazon Fire TV's can do Netflix / Amazon / VUDU / iTunes - DD+ 5.1 to DD/AC3 5.1 audio downmixing to support DD only audio receivers.

The Apple TV's also do DD+ > multichannel LPCM decoding to support older HDMI connected AVR's.
The Apple TV 4/4K can also do Netflix App - auto Frame Rate Matching (click) - the only media player that can do so. Results are superb !

Only very specific devices, noted below can run the Amazon Prime Video App properly.

Viewing Paid for movies on numerous hardware platforms is now possible with Movies Anywhere (click)

1080p/4K Android Netflix / Amazon (Prime) Video is only possible on media players boxes that include Widevine L1 & HDCP 1.x/2.2 support in device Firmware. Prime Video also needs Microsoft Playready DRM.

• PLUG N Play:
  • Ematic Jetstream 4K Ultra HD (4K HDR Netflix)
  • NVIDIA Shield (4K HDR Netflix / 4K HDR Amazon Prime Video / 4K VUDU)
  • Apple TV 3/4 (1080p)
  • Apple TV 4K (4K HDR & DolbyVision Netflix / 4K HDR Amazon Prime Video / 4K HDR DV VUDU / 4K DolbyVision iTunes)
  • Xiaomi Mi Box (4K HDR Netflix / 4K HDR Amazon Prime Video)** Buggy Oreo Firmware, audio drops with 5.1 DD+ audio.
  • Amazon Fire TV devices, the Gen3 pendant (HDR), NEW FireTV Stick 4K (HDR / DolbyVision).
  • Intel / AMD x86-64 computers with GeForce GT 1030 or later Nvidia graphics card solution running Win10, using either dedicated Apps or a Web Browser. See HERE (click) for details.

• Flash DIY Android TV ROM's:
    (Can only get 1080p Netflix with a special, difficult to use - tablet / mouse version of Netflix OR use the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon)
  • MECOOL "Pro" series of devices (1080p SDR Netflix only)
  • ABOX A4 (1080p Netflix)
  • WeTek Hub & Play2** (1080p SDR Netflix)
  • MINIX U9-H (1080p SDR Netflix
  • Do NOT rely on DIY, Android TV ROM devices, if copy protected video streaming is a must have requirement now and into the future.
    ** devices with Strikes thru them due to uncertified Netflix device status and the Android TV Netflix App now Not working at all.

IMHO the Apple TV 4K is the Apps media player of choice, particularly for users outside the USA that also need 25/50fps auto Frame Rate matching support. It is the go to Netflix media player for smooth 24p Netflix (DolbyVision) video playback with lossy Atmos audio.

There simply is no "one complete box" media player solution if you also want near bug free Kodi with auto refresh/colorspace/resolution switching & copy protected video streaming Apps support.

W.

(2018-12-29, 14:33)kraniet Wrote:
(2018-12-29, 12:43)noggin Wrote:
(2018-12-29, 00:16)kraniet Wrote: The COOD-E TV 4K is in the same price range as the vero 4K+ but seem to have better hardware?
The Vero 4K+ developer is @Sam.Nazarko and he is a regular poster here and at the OSMC forums.  He is highly engaged with his end users and you can talk to him.  OSMC, the OS that the Vero 4K+ runs Kodi on, and the bundled Kodi are updated regularly by Sam.

Good luck finding a COOD-E TV developer here and being able to talk to them...  

The difference between the S905D and S912 hardware is not massive in Kodi terms. However the difference in support between the two platforms is likely to be quite big. 

I'd always chose a platform with better support over a platform with better hardware.  All the specs in the world are pointless if you don't get OS updates and nobody is actively developing and improving your platform after you've bought it. (So many of these no-name boxes are stuck with the OS release you get with them, and not ever updated after purchase)   
 Ok, thank you for the info. 
I wasnt trying to offend anyone.

But I guess the Vero has the same problem with not having widevine support?

After alls this hassle with streamers (netflix, hbo etc) Im starting to think if they should get my support.  HBO for one havent even bothered to make an app for xbox one s (!?!) and Netflix are hardware locking their app. Like the support for atmos only being supported in windows, apple tv and some sony tvs.. Not to speak of the 4K function.. 
Not to talk about xbox lack of audio switching and throughput support.. Some "complete media player solution".. 

As ever, I'd recommend you separate your DRM requirements from your Kodi requirements.  Often the best platforms for DRM services (Netflix, Amazon, HBO, C More, Viaplay etc.) are not the best platforms for Kodi, and vice versa. I'd also recommend LibreElec over Android on ARM platforms for pure Kodi support.
Quote:@wrxtasy: IMHO the Apple TV 4K is the Apps media player of choice, particularly for users outside the USA that also need 25/50fps auto Frame Rate matching support. It is the go to Netflix media player for smooth 24p Netflix (DolbyVision) video playback with lossy Atmos audio.

There simply is no "one complete box" media player solution if you also want near bug free Kodi with auto refresh/colorspace/resolution switching & copy protected video streaming Apps support.

W.
Currently, gearbest offers a Beelink Gemini N41 6 GB RAM 128 GB SSD including Windows 10 Home for less than 180,00 EUR. I gathered very good experiences with a more costly Intel NUC 5i5RYH plus pulseEight CEC USB-Adapter as an excellent All-in-One Box, for several years.

If I would start again, I would simply buy such a Beelink mini pc, install Windows 10 Pro as a basis and on top Kodi (17.6 or 18). Overall it will be more valuable, flexible and open than an Apple or NVidia Shield TV. That’s my opinion. As a TV server a USB Box (with CI and triple tuner & CAM) could come into consideration, which would be connected directly to the mini pc, or - seperately - an Enigma2 TV Receiver (with openATV). Best regards, Joe
If HDR support is not a requirement a wintel solution is good.

From what i have read gerting HDR to work properly on WINTEL is a PITA!
Since Windows 10 1809 (Fall Creators Update 2018) it shouldn‘t be an issue anymore: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...r-settings

UPDATE: If, and only if the Intel processor or SoC supports HDR, which might be still an issue with the very popular Gemini Lake Celeron processor N4100 - see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2804855

The question still remains the same: how important will be HDR within the next 3 years, as long as I don‘t have the right equipment such as a HDR 10+ TV or monitor and cables for example, plus appropriate movies or VOD streaming content? ;-)
I prefer HDR over 4K, HDR to SDR (madVR) has made fantastic picture improvements on Non-HDR displays.
(2019-01-03, 09:12)JoePeters Wrote: Since Windows 10 1809 (Fall Creators Update 2018) it shouldn‘t be an issue anymore: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...r-settings

UPDATE: If, and only if the Intel processor or SoC supports HDR, which might be still an issue with the very popular Gemini Lake Celeron processor N4100 - see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2804855

The question still remains the same: how important will be HDR within the next 3 years, as long as I don‘t have the right equipment such as a HDR 10+ TV or monitor and cables for example, plus appropriate movies or VOD streaming content? ;-)

If you don't have a UHD HDR display - then full HDR support is a non-issue. 

If you have a UHD SDR display then you MAY want to watch UHD HDR content tone-mapped to UHD SDR, so a system capable of that would make sense if you plan on keeping that display for a while.  

If you are HD only and plan to stay that way, then I'd probably ignore HDR issues for the moment.
I am having problems running HDR 10bit on a windows 10 / kodi setup. I am getting washed up colours. Is this fixable ? What powerful kodi box will provide this hassle free ?

thanks
(2019-01-05, 12:12)Verdana Wrote: I am having problems running HDR 10bit on a windows 10 / kodi setup. I am getting washed up colours. Is this fixable ? What powerful kodi box will provide this hassle free ?

thanks

You don't need a particularly powerful box to handle HDR these days (For some reason Intel treats HDR as 'high end' still - reserving HDR for Core-series CPU+GPUs, even though cheap ARM SoCs can handle it).   The first post in this thread is a good starting point for advice.  

Before you ditch your Windows box - which CPU are you running and how are you connecting your display to it?
(2019-01-05, 13:39)noggin Wrote:
(2019-01-05, 12:12)Verdana Wrote: I am having problems running HDR 10bit on a windows 10 / kodi setup. I am getting washed up colours. Is this fixable ? What powerful kodi box will provide this hassle free ?

thanks

You don't need a particularly powerful box to handle HDR these days (For some reason Intel treats HDR as 'high end' still - reserving HDR for Core-series CPU+GPUs, even though cheap ARM SoCs can handle it).   The first post in this thread is a good starting point for advice.  

Before you ditch your Windows box - which CPU are you running and how are you connecting your display to it? 
thank you for your reply.

I have a i7, 1070 gtx to TV 4k OLED with HDMI.
(2019-01-05, 13:43)Verdana Wrote:
(2019-01-05, 13:39)noggin Wrote:

thanks

Is that a desktop or a laptop?
(2019-01-05, 13:44)noggin Wrote:
(2019-01-05, 13:43)Verdana Wrote:
(2019-01-05, 13:39)noggin Wrote: You don't need a particularly powerful box to handle HDR these days (For some reason Intel treats HDR as 'high end' still - reserving HDR for Core-series CPU+GPUs, even though cheap ARM SoCs can handle it).   The first post in this thread is a good starting point for advice.  

Desktop, but does it matter ?
(2019-01-05, 16:44)Verdana Wrote:
(2019-01-05, 13:44)noggin Wrote:
(2019-01-05, 13:43)Verdana Wrote: thank you for your reply.

Desktop, but does it matter ?  

Yes - as laptops often have one video output and it's often HDMI 1.4, whereas Desktops often have DisplayPort and HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0.

Does your Windows desktop not drive your display in UHD or does it just not output HDR?

Have you installed the latest Windows 10 updates?

Do you see the HDR option?

Or are you able to get Windows to run in HDR,  but just having issues with Kodi?
  • 200(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28