• 201(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2019-01-05, 17:59)noggin Wrote:
(2019-01-05, 16:44)Verdana Wrote:
(2019-01-05, 13:44)noggin Wrote: Is that a desktop or a laptop?   
Desktop, but does it matter ?   

Yes - as laptops often have one video output and it's often HDMI 1.4, whereas Desktops often have DisplayPort and HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0.

Does your Windows desktop not drive your display in UHD or does it just not output HDR?

Have you installed the latest Windows 10 updates?

Do you see the HDR option?

Or are you able to get Windows to run in HDR,  but just having issues with Kodi? 
how do i know if the output is in HDR ? I set the resolution to 2160p. I don't know where in nvidia settings to enable hdr.

yes, latest win 10.

where is the hdr option in win 10 ?
(2019-01-05, 22:27)Verdana Wrote:
(2019-01-05, 17:59)noggin Wrote:
(2019-01-05, 16:44)Verdana Wrote: Desktop, but does it matter ?   

Yes - as laptops often have one video output and it's often HDMI 1.4, whereas Desktops often have DisplayPort and HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0.

Does your Windows desktop not drive your display in UHD or does it just not output HDR?

Have you installed the latest Windows 10 updates?

Do you see the HDR option?

Or are you able to get Windows to run in HDR,  but just having issues with Kodi?  
how do i know if the output is in HDR ? I set the resolution to 2160p. I don't know where in nvidia settings to enable hdr.

yes, latest win 10.

where is the hdr option in win 10 ? 
Settings->Display->Windows HD Colour settings I think.
Do any of the 4k HDR players have 2xHDMI ports? I would like to run hi-res audio directly to my AVR without any HDMI splitter.
(2019-01-09, 09:26)NOGRP Wrote: Do any of the 4k HDR players have 2xHDMI ports? I would like to run hi-res audio directly to my AVR without any HDMI splitter.
 I'm not aware of any mainstream ARM platforms that run Kodi that do this, ony x86 PC-style solutions which can have multiple HDMI or HDMI+Displayport outputs (that could be externally converted to HDMI).  There may be non-Kodi media players with dual HDMI outputs for this purpose - but they are niche and may well be buggy with little support once you've purchased.

I know you have said you don't want a splitter but there are HD Fury splitter devices designed specifically for this task (that will split a single HDMI 2.0 output into an HDMI 2.0 UHD video feed and an HDMI 1.4 HD audio feed), though they aren't ultra low-cost solutions.  There are other solutions that promise similar functionality on eBay/Amazon but I have no experience with them.  (My experience with HD Fury support has been excellent - and they provide frequent software upgrades with feature updates)
(2019-01-09, 09:26)NOGRP Wrote: Do any of the 4k HDR players have 2xHDMI ports? I would like to run hi-res audio directly to my AVR without any HDMI splitter.

I think Zidoo X20 does..
..remember Wintel boxes 99% of the times lack CEC, if that matters to you...
(2019-01-03, 06:18)ozkhan1 Wrote: If HDR support is not a requirement a wintel solution is good.

From what i have read gerting HDR to work properly on WINTEL is a PITA!
 Also worth nothing is that CEC support is next to nothing on Wintel boxes (unless you buy an external USB CEC module,that is)
Yes adding CEC to an Intel box using a Pulse8 in-line adaptor is an option (and some NUCs have internal CEC injection functionality that Pulse8 have - at least in the past - made internal adaptors for)
I never found lack of CEC to be a big deal. Most TVs have it implemented in a rather haphazard way anyway. Nothing a good old FLIRc cant fix. The new one even has an IR transmitter so there is hope in the future one can actually use it to control TV/AV receiver, etc.
(2019-01-10, 06:13)ozkhan1 Wrote: I never found lack of CEC to be a big deal. Most TVs have it implemented in a rather haphazard way anyway. Nothing a good old FLIRc cant fix. The new one even has an IR transmitter so there is hope in the future one can actually use it to control TV/AV receiver, etc.

Results with individual users equiptment may vary but this is possible...

HDMC CEC is reliable now with my Vero 4K & Apple TV 4K - 4K TV and Yamaha AVR setup:

Both auto turn OFF my HDMI CEC connected TV and AVR equiptment when going into sleep/suspend modes. Even user adjustable screensaver timeouts auto switch everything OFF.

Both auto switch ON - HDMI connected devices when waking up simply by pressing the remotes Home or Menu buttons, they then also auto switch to the correct HDMI inputs.

Double tapping the Home or Menu buttons switches HDMI inputs to either device when their respective screensavers are playing.

AVR volume control with either device uses HDMI CEC via their respective remotes.

When it works it's real handy. No need to pick up a TV or AVR remote. Smile

(2019-01-10, 06:13)ozkhan1 Wrote: I never found lack of CEC to be a big deal. Most TVs have it implemented in a rather haphazard way anyway. Nothing a good old FLIRc cant fix. The new one even has an IR transmitter so there is hope in the future one can actually use it to control TV/AV receiver, etc.
The most useful aspect of HDMI CEC to me is that it lets Kodi remotely control the volume of my AVR when I'm bit streaming audio (HD Audio, DD, DTS etc.)  When I switch to a PC without CEC having to grab an AVR remote to adjust volume gets boring very quickly.

Auto switch-on of AVR and TV is also a nice feature (though I've disabled auto switch off as I often want to continue viewing on another device)  Kodi is very good at allowing CEC configuration at quite a low level.

I guess the aspect of CEC that interests me least is allowing my TV remote to control Kodi.
I'm back. Confused

Ok I`m wondering if MIMO will make an appreciable difference? Also if I'm going to be using Android, is 3GB going to help a lot with these versions of Android?\

Should I go for the Khadas Vim2 pro? (S912 + MIMO + RSDB + 3GB DDR4)
Or Khadas Vim1 Pro? (S905X + AC Wifi+ 2GB DDR3)
Or Minix U1 (S905 + MIMO + 2GB DDR3)
Or Mecool KI Pro (S905D + AC Wifi + 2GB DDR4+ Widevine)

Planning to dual boot and wifi only.
I'm guessing there wont be much of a difference, but wondering if there is advantages to one over another that I'm not considering other than the RAM and Wifi? 
The Vim2 is about $30-50 more? Is the price premium worth it over the other 3?
Good News for AppleTV 4K
Now MrMC supports Atmos
Code:
https://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4693
Nice! Big Grin
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
(2019-01-16, 08:27)solamnic Wrote: Good News for AppleTV 4K
Now MrMC supports Atmos
Code:
https://mrmc.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4693

Worth reminding people this is compatibility with the lossy E-AC3/DD+ with Atmos flavour (which is sometimes used for secondary language audio tracks on Blu-rays, as well as streaming services) not the Dolby True HD with Atmos flavour usually used for lossless primary tracks.   I guess this is leveraging the tvOS upgrade that added DD+/E-AC3 + Atmos compatibility for streaming services like Netflix and Amazon.

AIUI the Apple TV 4K still doesn't support True HD + Atmos or DTS:x lossless spatial audio, nor is there a widespread route to convert True HD with Atmos to E-AC3/DD+ with Atmos.
  • 201(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28