• 212(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2019-04-22, 05:29)wesk05 Wrote: Posting after a long hiatus Smile
1080p24 and 2160p24 output refresh rates accurate to 6 significant digits. Measurements are from a protocol analyzer that has been calibrated against a <1 ppb rubidium timebase frequency counter.
All devices have the latest firmware. FireTV 4K seems to only output 4:2:2 for 2160p. Vero 4K 1080p24 output was 10-bit (I guess, it is set based on sink EDID).

Got the analyser out of storage, then?

What are we to make of this, given 24/1.001 = 23.976024?
I am looking for something to use with a 4k TV in my bedroom. I use Emby for Kodi. I already have to other HTPCs that I use around the house. I use Aeon MQ skins on the HTPCs, but I could make Confluence or another skin work if need be. I have a Ethernet connection nearby, I won't use WiFi.
So my requirements are:
  1. 1. Kodi
  2. 2. Emby for Kodi
  3. 3. Ethernet
  4. 4. 4k
  5. 5. $$$ - Kind of looking at Amazon firestick 4k and ethernet adapter right now.
What device is going to match the functionality of the HTPC - (i5 2400k) used only for Kodi? Or should I try to find a cheap sff PC and a GPU?

I really appreciate the help.
(2019-04-22, 17:58)graham-h Wrote: Got the analyser out of storage, then?
What are we to make of this, given 24/1.001 = 23.976024? 
Finally, things are getting out of storage Smile The analyzer is from work. I did check the HDFury Vertex against it. Vertex is off by -0.01, 0.02% for pixel rates >74.25MHz, <74.25MHz resp.
HDMI specification permits +0.5/-0.6% variation on required pixel rates. So, anything within 23.856136 - 24.095896 is technically OK. Playback is likely to be affected the further it deviates from the standard.
i want to buy a box to run coreelec or libreelec only to watch IPTV in mostrly 720p sometime i can go 1080p only, what the most cheaper and that works well  for this with s905w or s905x only if neither s905w works well. thanks
(2019-04-23, 21:14)RYZON Wrote: i want to buy a box to run coreelec or libreelec only to watch IPTV in mostrly 720p sometime i can go 1080p only, what the most cheaper and that works well  for this with s905w or s905x only if neither s905w works well. thanks

Rule #1 USB dongle Mini receiver wireless remotes are superior in their responsiveness vs any Infra Red remote on the market.

The IR ones that come with dirt cheap Chinese AMLogic devices are really poor and usually have to be pointed directly at the device.
They end up being annoying as hell to use long term.

The S905W MECOOL already comes packaged with a responsive plug in USB Mini dongle receiver Wireless remote.
It will be fast enough for CE Kodi + IPTV especially when you tickle the GPU clock MHz in Kodi Settings > System > AMLogic

I cannot stress enough how much of a difference to device responsiveness a reliable wireless remote makes to any media player.

For a massive IPTV channel list, the noticeably faster S912 chipset will be superior, plus most of the S912's come with dual band AC WiFi and GigaE LAN.

(2019-04-22, 18:12)BigMixer Wrote: I am looking for something to use with a 4k TV in my bedroom. I use Emby for Kodi. I already have to other HTPCs that I use around the house. I use Aeon MQ skins on the HTPCs, but I could make Confluence or another skin work if need be. I have a Ethernet connection nearby, I won't use WiFi.
So my requirements are:
  1. 1. Kodi
  2. 2. Emby for Kodi
  3. 3. Ethernet
  4. 4. 4k
  5. 5. $$$ - Kind of looking at Amazon firestick 4k and ethernet adapter right now.
What device is going to match the functionality of the HTPC - (i5 2400k) used only for Kodi? Or should I try to find a cheap sff PC and a GPU?

I may have been missed in the shuffle. Does anyone have any advice? I am also looking at the Odroid N2
(2019-04-24, 12:13)BigMixer Wrote:
(2019-04-22, 18:12)BigMixer Wrote: I am looking for something to use with a 4k TV in my bedroom. I use Emby for Kodi. I already have to other HTPCs that I use around the house. I use Aeon MQ skins on the HTPCs, but I could make Confluence or another skin work if need be. I have a Ethernet connection nearby, I won't use WiFi.
So my requirements are:
  1. 1. Kodi
  2. 2. Emby for Kodi
  3. 3. Ethernet
  4. 4. 4k
  5. 5. $$$ - Kind of looking at Amazon Firestick 4k and ethernet adapter right now.

I may have been missed in the shuffle. Does anyone have any advice? I am also looking at the Odroid N2

The smoothest Kodi Skins performance will be found on Intel/AMD Kodi Leia because of it's superior Python coded Addon/Skins code crunching capabilities vs virtually anything else.
If you have Addons/Skins with lots of Animations, transitions, sliding panels, graphic rich elements etc and want the same silky smooth performance then stick with Intel.

There are many devices that can do 4K - but once you get into 4K HDR then things get a little more complicated, especially for Intel.

Plug n Play the easiest 4K Kodi devices are the optimised Linux Kodi Leia based ones, with the Vero 4K+ running Kodi leading the pack.

Best bang for the buck, with minor SD card (Class 10 U1) flashing DIY - still is the AMLogic S912's like the Tanix TX92, H96 Pro+ etc. that have included GigaE running CoreELEC Kodi Leia, combined with something like a USB Mini Dongle receiver, Wireless Keyboard remote. You leave it on 24/7.
Infra Red is rubbish on these devices.

The ODROID N2 is pretty new. I would not call it stable yet for CoreELEC Kodi Leia usage. It will get there.
It's still missing a bunch of 4K bug busting and auto bit depth and colourspace switching.
Multichannel LPCM audio is missing as well.

If you want Emby database support with 4K and Intel type performance, seriously look at the Apple TV 4K and run the heavily Kodi modded MrMC App on it:
https://wiki.mrmc.tv/index.php/Emby

It's a little black powerhouse of a media player with silky smooth performance, really all that is missing is lossless Atmos audio passthrough.
Read the review https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=335219

Hello, new here and in the TV box world. I have been reading for the last couple of days this forum and the LibreELEC one but I need a last confirmation.
I have an old TV right now but I want to buy something that I can use whenever I decide to upgrade it.

What I want:
Kodi capable device that can play high bitrate BluRay rips over a local network (so 5Ghz + gigabit ethernet)
4k resolution (so I guess HEVC support)
HDR10 support (maybe HDR10+ and/or DV if possible)
5.1 audio (DTS:X and atmos?) passthrough so I can connect the device to an AVR

I do not mind having to configure things myself (= not need for just plug & play).

I think that is basically it... reading the stickies it seems that my best option is a TV box with AMLOGIC S912 chipset and installing LibreELEC.
Reading the LibreELEC forum it seems that the ones with S905X2 are better, but the "4K HDR" sticky here says "New S905X2/Y2 chipsets will have No LibreELEC / CoreELEC Kodi support. Kodi HD audio is likely broken as well."

So I guess I should go for a S912 device, right?

I do not think I'm missing anything right now. In my country this kind of stuff cost between two and three times their price sometimes so I am trying to spend the least amount of money possible (lets say U$D60 original price if possible).
In that range I found the H90pro+, some MECOOL ones, and some Tanix ones.

Is it the S912 the best one for my needs? If so, what device should I buy?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.
(2019-04-29, 07:25)dm12 Wrote: Hello, new here and in the TV box world. I have been reading for the last couple of days this forum and the LibreELEC one but I need a last confirmation.
I have an old TV right now but I want to buy something that I can use whenever I decide to upgrade it.

What I want:
Kodi capable device that can play high bitrate BluRay rips over a local network (so 5Ghz + gigabit ethernet)

I do not think I'm missing anything right now. In my country this kind of stuff cost between two and three times their price sometimes so I am trying to spend the least amount of money possible (lets say U$D60 original price if possible).

(2019-04-25, 03:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Best bang for the buck, with minor SD card (Class 10 U1) flashing DIY - still is the AMLogic S912's like the Tanix TX92 / Vorke Z6, H96 Pro+ etc. that have included GigaE running CoreELEC Kodi Leia (click), combined with something like a USB Mini Dongle receiver, Wireless Keyboard remote. You leave it on 24/7.

Welcome to the Kodi forums ! Smile

(2019-04-29, 07:37)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-04-29, 07:25)dm12 Wrote: Hello, new here and in the TV box world. I have been reading for the last couple of days this forum and the LibreELEC one but I need a last confirmation.

What I want:

(2019-04-25, 03:52)wrxtasy Wrote: Best bang for the buck, with minor SD card (Class 10 U1) flashing DIY - still is the AMLogic S912's like the Tanix TX92 / Vorke Z6, H96 Pro+ etc. that have included GigaE running CoreELEC Kodi Leia (click), combined with something like a USB Mini Dongle receiver, Wireless Keyboard remote. You leave it on 24/7.

Welcome to the Kodi forums ! Smile 
You wrote every sticky I read here and in the LibreELEC forums and you answered this newbie questions, thanks a lot!

My TV right now is old, so no smart, and sometimes my girlfriend uses Netflix. Is it posible to dual boot this devices so she can play Netflix on it (on android I guess) full hd? Or thats not possible given that the device must be a Google Certified one.

This is not a priority at all, given that all new TVs are smart now so in the future she can use the app on the TV. So if it is not possible/not recommended is ok and I would not do it.
I will speak about remote controls... IR specifically...

Over the the years i have tested many many IR controls (multi remotes actually)

I have been a fan of logitech since ever due to its great online database and due to the fact that anyone could program any key of the remote individually .. 

BUT.. after some years of using the 300, some keys had to be continuously pressed in order to work
so i had to look for a replacement..

I bought the Logitech 350... but something was not feeling right to my hand.

the keys.. the rubber keys were awful.. (same keys as the 300 actually)
and i realised that after a visit to my parents house where their 10 year old philips tv had an amazing remote...
the channel up/down - volume and the wheel keys actually there were metallic..

So i start searching for an alternative solution to the 350.

in the end i came up to the One for All 7955

although it does not have the simplicity of programming of Logitech ( i had to use the learn function a lot)

BUT
In the end it has a great feeling in the hand - i have been using it for a month
Key pressing is amazing...
too bad its not back-lit Smile
Latency: NO LATENCY Smile
Wife factor - Wife didnt like original LG TV remote - didnt like Logitech 300, 350 remote ... - No complains with the 7955  Smile

So if anyone wants a multi IR remote i suggest to check on 7955 ..
(I control TV, Receiver, Apple TV, Nuc with it)
(2019-04-29, 22:20)solamnic Wrote: I will speak about remote controls... IR specifically...

Over the the years i have tested many many IR controls (multi remotes actually)

I have been a fan of logitech since ever due to its great online database and due to the fact that anyone could program any key of the remote individually .. 

BUT.. after some years of using the 300, some keys had to be continuously pressed in order to work
so i had to look for a replacement..

I bought the Logitech 350... but something was not feeling right to my hand.

the keys.. the rubber keys were awful.. (same keys as the 300 actually)
and i realised that after a visit to my parents house where their 10 year old philips tv had an amazing remote...
the channel up/down - volume and the wheel keys actually there were metallic..

So i start searching for an alternative solution to the 350.

in the end i came up to the One for All 7955

although it does not have the simplicity of programming of Logitech ( i had to use the learn function a lot)

BUT
In the end it has a great feeling in the hand - i have been using it for a month
Key pressing is amazing...
too bad its not back-lit Smile
Latency: NO LATENCY Smile
Wife factor - Wife didnt like original LG TV remote - didnt like Logitech 300, 350 remote ... - No complains with the 7955  Smile

So if anyone wants a multi IR remote i suggest to check on 7955 ..
(I control TV, Receiver, Apple TV, Nuc with it)

Was the free setup phone App any good?

"FREE SETUP APP FOR YOUR SMARTPHONE. A free app is available to easily set up this remote. The app guides you through a few easy steps to set up your remote."
it does only basic things...

instead of inputting codes of your devices - use the app... - basic function but it does its work....

if you add a specific function to a key you will have to use the learn function...
(2017-05-10, 13:39)wrxtasy Wrote: NEO U9 - if you want to use mainly Android Apps (excluding Kodi), it runs it little bit faster. Kodi Krypton has some problems on it as it uses Medicodec only Hardware video acceleration - which is not as good as Amcodec.

NEO U1 - if the main focus is Kodi - because it can run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton which is superior vs any Android Kodi version going.
I doubt you will use Android Kodi once you run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.
Plus it still retains Amcodec Hardware video acceleration in Android - very important for TV deinterlacing if you ever use that down the track.

The U9 has no stable LibreELEC Kodi Krypton version available for it, due to no proper Linux GPU drivers available. I don't think this will get fixed either.
==============
Thank you wrxtasy.  You have finally explained why my U9 Libreelec box has some subtle issues that I could not understand. 

ezriderz
(2019-04-25, 03:52)wrxtasy Wrote: The ODROID N2 is pretty new. I would not call it stable yet for CoreELEC Kodi Leia usage. It will get there.
It's still missing a bunch of 4K bug busting and auto bit depth and colourspace switching.
Multichannel LPCM audio is missing as well.

Trying to get my head around this. As I understand it, when watching live TV, since Krypton Kodi has not been able to pass through the original bitstream and instead must convert to multichannel 5.1. Does this mean that, to get 5.1 audio on live TV with the N2 currently, it would require setting audio to 2.0 and re-encoding to Dolby?
  • 212(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28