• 213(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2019-05-04, 00:33)allio Wrote:
(2019-04-25, 03:52)wrxtasy Wrote: The ODROID N2 is pretty new. I would not call it stable yet for CoreELEC Kodi Leia usage. It will get there.
It's still missing a bunch of 4K bug busting and auto bit depth and colourspace switching.
Multichannel LPCM audio is missing as well.

Trying to get my head around this. As I understand it, when watching live TV, since Krypton Kodi has not been able to pass through the original bitstream and instead must convert to multichannel 5.1. Does this mean that, to get 5.1 audio on live TV with the N2 currently, it would require setting audio to 2.0 and re-encoding to Dolby?

5.1 AAC audio has to be Transcoded into 5.1 Dolby Digital, which is not much of a problem with the N2.

5.1 DD, even for Live TV will be passed thru to the audio receiver when using CoreELEC. It has been modded from standard Kodi to allow that again.

CoreELEC N2 progress is coming along quickly, it's not bad for a fast 1080p Kodi Leia player at the moment.

(2019-05-02, 00:06)ezriderz Wrote:
(2017-05-10, 13:39)wrxtasy Wrote: NEO U9 - if you want to use mainly Android Apps (excluding Kodi), it runs it little bit faster. Kodi Krypton has some problems on it as it uses Medicodec only Hardware video acceleration - which is not as good as Amcodec.

NEO U1 - if the main focus is Kodi - because it can run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton which is superior vs any Android Kodi version going.
I doubt you will use Android Kodi once you run LibreELEC Kodi Krypton.
Plus it still retains Amcodec Hardware video acceleration in Android - very important for TV deinterlacing if you ever use that down the track.

The U9 has no stable LibreELEC Kodi Krypton version available for it, due to no proper Linux GPU drivers available. I don't think this will get fixed either.
==============
Thank you wrxtasy.  You have finally explained why my U9 Libreelec box has some subtle issues that I could not understand. 

ezriderz

Disable Kodi's 'Dirty Regions' in advancedsettings.xml and your Subtitle issues will be fixed with LibreELEC or CoreELEC on the U9:

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <gui>
    <algorithmdirtyregions>0</algorithmdirtyregions>
  </gui>
</advancedsettings>
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_dirty_regions

(2019-05-04, 01:40)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-05-04, 00:33)allio Wrote:
(2019-04-25, 03:52)wrxtasy Wrote: The ODROID N2 is pretty new. I would not call it stable yet for CoreELEC Kodi Leia usage. It will get there.
It's still missing a bunch of 4K bug busting and auto bit depth and colourspace switching.
Multichannel LPCM audio is missing as well.

Trying to get my head around this. As I understand it, when watching live TV, since Krypton Kodi has not been able to pass through the original bitstream and instead must convert to multichannel 5.1. Does this mean that, to get 5.1 audio on live TV with the N2 currently, it would require setting audio to 2.0 and re-encoding to Dolby? 

5.1 AAC audio has to be Transcoded into 5.1 Dolby Digital, which is not much of a problem with the N2.

5.1 DD, even for Live TV will be passed thru to the audio receiver when using CoreELEC. It has been modded from standard Kodi to allow that again.

CoreELEC N2 progress is coming along quickly, it's not bad for a fast 1080p Kodi Leia player at the moment. 
Ah, fantastic! Live TV was my only concern - transcoding multichannel AAC/FLAC etc is perfectly fine. I think I can go ahead and order an N2 then Smile

Thanks for the help.
(2019-05-04, 01:46)wrxtasy Wrote: Disable Kodi's 'Dirty Regions' in advancedsettings.xml and your Subtitle issues will be fixed with LibreELEC or CoreELEC on the U9:
New CoreElec versions  don't need "Dirty Regions" fix any more to fix the stutter.
(2019-05-04, 12:27)Sholander Wrote:
(2019-05-04, 01:46)wrxtasy Wrote: Disable Kodi's 'Dirty Regions' in advancedsettings.xml and your Subtitle issues will be fixed with LibreELEC or CoreELEC on the U9:
New CoreElec versions  don't need "Dirty Regions" fix any more to fix the stutter.

Yes it does, I am still having issues on the U9 with CE and Subtitles. So not quite 100% sorted out yet IMHO, but very close.
Anyway this is all off topic as its software related.

Hello,  I need a last confirmation.
I have a new tv 4k hdr-dv LG

What I want:
android system because I need to use VPN and popcorntime
Kodi capable device that can play high bitrate BluRay rips over a local network or from plex or emby(so 5Ghz + gigabit ethernet)
support for subtitles inside mkv file container for video 4k
4k resolution 
HDR10 support (DV if possible but I still cannot find movie torrent with DV metadata)

5.1 audio DTS:X and atmos passthrough .If it can downsize Dolby HD atmos to DD+ atmos is better because it will be connect to tv that will send the audio to the atmos soundbar.

CEC I want to use LG remote 

Plug and Play I used to have the fire tv 2gn before I know I to sideload kodi .

good  upscaling for video 1080p?

I dont need netflix amazon ecc I use the apps in the tv for those .

MINIX U9?? or shield or fire tv stick 4k ?
(2019-05-04, 20:01)ignade82 Wrote: What I want:

Just for your information, we have a VPN policy (wiki) for you to bear in mind. Smile
(2019-05-04, 20:05)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-05-04, 20:01)ignade82 Wrote: What I want:

Just for your information, we have a VPN policy (wiki) for you to bear in mind. Smile 
I dont need vpn for kodi  but for popcorntime and TV in my home country.
Thnaks
(2019-05-04, 20:01)ignade82 Wrote: Hello,  I need a last confirmation.

What I want:
android system

NVIDIA Shield because it is
(a) the most powerful Android setup
(b) has great ongoing Firmware support and ..
© Kodi can be installed without needing Sideloading or ongoing Kodi App maintenance when new versions are released.

Android Kodi works better on the Shield vs the FireTV Stick 4K

The MINIX U9 comparatively is running ancient Android (stable) Marshmallow Firmware that is not getting any love any more from MINIX.
So avoid it for Android these days.

(2019-05-05, 06:37)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-05-04, 20:01)ignade82 Wrote: Hello,  I need a last confirmation.

What I want:
android system

NVIDIA Shield because it is
(a) the most powerful Android setup
(b) has great ongoing Firmware support and ..
© Kodi can be installed without needing Sideloading or ongoing Kodi App maintenance when new versions are released.

Android Kodi works better on the Shield vs the FireTV Stick 4K

The MINIX U9 comparatively is running ancient Android (stable) Marshmallow Firmware that is not getting any love any more from MINIX.
So avoid it for Android these days. 

thanks I will check on the shield thread - it is f*** expensive
Love all the work and effort gone into this but 1 feature which always gets missed is if any of the hardware supports usb external hard drives?

I had to get the Nvidia Shield because it has support for (more with a powered hub) 2 USB external hard drives full of media. Can see NTFS, exFAT formatted drives and requires no special cables or extra steps to make it work.

Do you know if one day a category or section like: Supports USB HDD will be added here?

Example: Apple and Amazon's devices are very feature packed but there is no local hard drive support.
(2019-05-05, 11:35)master345 Wrote: Example: Apple and Amazon's devices are very feature packed but there is no local hard drive support.

I'll double check when I get a chance but I'm pretty certain that most Amazon Fire TV devices can support USB storage when you use a micro USB OTG adaptor (which also allows you to add a USB 3.0 -> Gig E adaptor to give you cabled ethernet connectivity)
I believe the Fire TV Stick can use a USB-attached external drive via an OTG USB cable, but it is limited to an MBR/FAT32-formatted 2TB drive. Here's a representative line-up of components for this:
  1. Rii F1 microUSB Host OTG adapter https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Adapter-Fires...07GDBPBTR/
  2. Seagate STGX2000400 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CRG94G3/
  3. Anker 4-port USB 3.0 hub w/12W power adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0192LPK5M
If your Fire TV Stick set-up requires more than 2TB, then you'll need to "feed" it files from a file server. If you want to keep it portable AND if you don't want more than 4TB of storage, you can use the following:
  1. HooToo HT-TM02 https://www.amazon.com/HooToo-Wireless-P...B00HZWOQZ6 (supports up to 4TB NTFS USB HDD)
  2. microUSB to wall-plug 5V/1A https://www.amazon.com/Dericam-Charger-A...07D3QSXQJ/
  3. Seagate STEA4000400 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017KE8OG0/
  4. UGREEN Ethernet/USB adapterhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLUEJFU/
What I have yet to discover is a way to have more than 4TB of connected storage through a travel router with a SMB server built in.
(2019-05-05, 23:36)selfcontained Wrote: I believe the Fire TV Stick can use a USB-attached external drive via an OTG USB cable, but it is limited to an MBR/FAT32-formatted 2TB drive.
Yes, this is a correct assessment. Amazon FireTVs only support FAT32 format via USB.
What do you say about the Atari VCS?

Its Is supposed to support 4K HDR, i know Linux does not supports it yet, but it seems promissing.

Do you think it can be better than the Shield?
  • 213(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28