• 229(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2019-11-06, 01:51)wrxtasy Wrote: To make it cheaper..
You only need the 2GB Odroid N2 - CE edition to run Kodi at Max speed, with no limitations.

ODROID-N2 Gehäuse transparent case - is NOT needed. CE edition already comes with a case.

ODROID USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer - is NOT needed. You issue an ‘installtointernal’ command to copy CE from microSDHC to eMMC.
See this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2894545

Odroid IR Remote Controller for C1+/C2/N2 - is NOT needed, the MINIX A2 lite remote is far superior and will be a hell of a lot more responsive.

Odroid WiFi Module 5A Is only needed if you are Not using hardwired Ethernet.

In fact high bitrate 4K HDR Bluray Rips requires you to use Gigabit Ethernet only otherwise expect trouble.
@wrxtasy  thanks for that...i recalculated and now i have to pay 164 euros for Odroid N2 4gb WITH 16GB eMMC N2 Linux (the eMMC is preinstalled with CoreELEC) INCLUDED the MINIX A2 lite remote and shipping fees from the UK at this price. I dont see the point to take the 2gb version for just 10 euros difference. I can only order from the UK site because for some reason the German site a friend suggested before some posts doesnt ship items to Greece. It says it does but if you go to pay its not possible. Anyway any knowledge or thoughts about Nvidia`s Shield Frame Rate Matching? Does it work? Is this feature important for watching 720p to 1080p to 4k to 4k hdr and vice versa through Shield`s Kodi or not? Let`s assume we passed over the colorspace Shield`s issues with the hotfix and it`s ok. What about Frame Rate Matching?
You need to buy the Odroid N2 - CoreELEC edition if you want all the parts included:
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/odroid-...ition/6567

Also you might want to keep an eye on the 2019 Shield TV Pro hardware thread and the Kodi Android sub forum support section.

I’m reading some users are having issues with 4K HDR usage and Kodi Leia on the new 2019 Shield.

Anyone compared the upstaging of the new nvidia shield vs the apple tv 4k?
(2019-11-08, 14:01)Samekas Wrote: Anyone compared the upscaling of the new nvidia shield vs the apple tv 4k?

Actually being able to visually see differences in upscaling relies on three things first:

- size of the and quality of 4K TV used
- picture processing modes the 4K TV uses
- distance you are actually seated from the 4K TV to be able to even tell the difference in picture quality.

Anyone can sit 1 metre or less from a large 4K screen with AI upscaling turned ON then OFF and go WOW - yes I can see the difference, it’s amazing !
And they should be able to easily tell the difference too because they are comparing AI upscaling to the old crap upscaling the previous 2015/2017 Shields had.

The Shield’s AI upscaling is limited to video playback of 30fps or less and it will not work when viewing Live TV and is not guaranteed to work with all Apps.
2019 Nvidia Shield Ai upscaling settings (click)

Also be very aware the 2019 Shield's Android TV user interface and App icons are 1080p only, so they too have to be upscaled to 4K and consequently will still be blurry - see HERE (click)

The Apple TV 4K that already has high quality picture upscaling has NO limitations at all, due to its more modern GPU, and also uses a 4K user interface. It’s always been known for having great picture output quality.

PS: there are now recently released 4K and 8K TV’s that also do AI upscaling.

This is what my 2019 Panasonic GZ OLED is using for its (AI) upscaling engine:
Panasonic 4K Super Resolution Technologies in the 4K Fine Remaster Engine (click)

And Premium 2018 / 2019 Sony 4K HDR TV's that come packaged with Sony's X1 Ultimate Picture Processor can also do AI - Super Resolution picture upscaling of non 4K content:
Sony's Object Based AI - Super Resolution 4K TV's (click)

Hi, due to lack of AI upscaling in 2019 shield for interlaced content, i wan't buy it anymore. I suppose standard upscaling would be bad as 2017 one.

Before go definitively on apple tv 4k, i would question if i someone compared apple tv 4k to new amazon fire tv cube (s922z amlogic) . I really would love have alexa integrated in my tv box.

p.s. I surely know the coreelc kodi would be the best route for me, but i want to use other android/ios apps on my tv box.
(2019-11-16, 21:35)antony23 Wrote: Hi, due to lack of AI upscaling in 2019 shield for interlaced content, i wan't buy it anymore. I suppose standard upscaling would be bad as 2017 one.

Before go definitively on apple tv 4k, i would question if i someone compared apple tv 4k to new amazon fire tv cube (s922z amlogic) . I really would love have alexa integrated in my tv box.

p.s. I surely know the coreelc kodi would be the best route for me, but i want to use other android/ios apps on my tv box.

Bit of a conundrum yes ?

You really have to work out what is more important.

Whilst the 2019 Cube will have Alexa integration, and an easier to use remote - you need to be aware that deinterlacing for Live TV/ DVD's does not work properly on 99% of AMLogic devices running Android Kodi, and I would not expect the 2019 Cube to be any different - unless Amazon have pulled a Rabbit out of the Hat.

There will also be other issues for demanding Kodi usage:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=347239

There really is No "One Box" solution if you are a demanding user.

(2019-11-17, 05:16)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-11-16, 21:35)antony23 Wrote: Hi, due to lack of AI upscaling in 2019 shield for interlaced content, i wan't buy it anymore. I suppose standard upscaling would be bad as 2017 one.

Bit of a conundrum yes ?

You really have to work out what is more important.

Whilst the 2019 Cube will have Alexa integration, and an easier to use remote - you need to be aware that deinterlacing for Live TV/ DVD's does not work properly on 99% of AMLogic devices running Android Kodi, and I would not expect the 2019 Cube to be any different - unless Amazon have pulled a Rabbit out of the Hat.

There will also be other issues for demanding Kodi usage:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=347239

There really is No "One Box" solution if you are a demanding user.

In the first post of this thread amlogic devices are advice for good deinterlacing, but using kodi jarvis. So i would understand if it's a kodi leia issue or a chipset issue...

Also Ftv stick 4k has 1080i h264 deinterlacing issue, but it has mediatek chip...

Also no one are considering hisilicon chipset, so i assume they are out of question.

So... It seems there is no android kodi that deinterlacing without issue, is it so?
(2019-11-17, 06:08)antony23 Wrote: In the first post of this thread amlogic devices are advice for good deinterlacing, but using kodi jarvis. So i would understand if it's a kodi leia issue or a chipset issue...

Android AMLogic and Deinterlacing works properly with old Android devices that can use AMLcodec HW video decoding that was still supported in Android Kodi Jarvis.
Android AMLcodec seems to have been removed from the newer generation of 2018 / 2019 Android devices Firmware that use the S905X2,X3, S922 etc chipsets.

However run Linux Kodi on them in the form of CoreELEC Kodi Leia and everything works, deinterlacing included.

Quote:So... It seems there is no android kodi that deinterlacing without issue, is it so?

Android Kodi deinterlacing works if you use a Nvidia Shield. Wink

I read so much but still don’t understand everything. I want to be able to play content of my nas using audio passthrough. Is there no other option then a raspberry pi or pc to do it? I don’t want to pay more then like 150$. I looked at Apple TV 4 with mrmc but that can’t passthrough either...
There is always a but. I just want it to work and be done with it.
(2019-11-17, 14:23)Exstaz Wrote: I read so much but still don’t understand everything. I want to be able to play content of my nas using audio passthrough. Is there no other option then a raspberry pi or pc to do it? I don’t want to pay more then like 150$. I looked at Apple TV 4 with mrmc but that can’t passthrough either...

Get odroid N2.... simple
(2019-11-17, 14:23)Exstaz Wrote: I read so much but still don’t understand everything. I want to be able to play content of my nas using audio passthrough. Is there no other option then a raspberry pi or pc to do it?

Raspberry Pi 4B doesn't do HD Audio passthrough at the moment - just PCM lossless decode (same as Apple TV 4K). Unless you have a very real need for metadata processing or an Atmos/DTS:x speaker set-up with height speakers (that requires passthrough) - then not having passthrough isn't a major limitation (all you are doing is moving the 'decode to PCM' process from the AVR to your Kodi player solution)

The big advantage of the Apple TV 4K is that it has Netflix and Amazon with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos (albeit with a Netflix app bug at the moment it seems), and well implemented HDR/SDR and Frame rate switching.
Quote:I don’t want to pay more then like 150$. I looked at Apple TV 4 with mrmc but that can’t passthrough either...

However if you must have pass through - then things like the ODroid N2 running CoreElec (or other AMLogic CoreElec solutions) will do that, as will the nVidia Shield TV (which will also do Netflix and Amazon with DV and Atmos in the 2019 models, but has more limitations in other areas - such as not frame rate switching in Amazon or Netflix...)
(2019-11-17, 15:03)noggin Wrote:
(2019-11-17, 14:23)Exstaz Wrote: I read so much but still don’t understand everything. I want to be able to play content of my nas using audio passthrough. Is there no other option then a raspberry pi or pc to do it?

Raspberry Pi doesn't do HD Audio passthrough at the moment - just PCM lossless decode (same as Apple TV 4K). Unless you have a very real need for metadata processing or an Atmos/DTS:x speaker set-up with height speakers (that requires passthrough) - then not having passthrough isn't a major limitation (all you are doing is moving the 'decode to PCM' process from the AVR to your Kodi player solution)

The big advantage of the Apple TV 4K is that it has Netflix and Amazon with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos (albeit with a Netflix app bug at the moment it seems), and well implemented HDR/SDR and Frame rate switching.

Quote:I don’t want to pay more then like 150$. I looked at Apple TV 4 with mrmc but that can’t passthrough either...

However if you must have pass through - then things like the ODroid N2 running CoreElec (or other AMLogic CoreElec solutions) will do that, as will the nVidia Shield TV (which will also do Netflix and Amazon with DV and Atmos in the 2019 models, but has more limitations in other areas - such as not frame rate switching in Amazon or Netflix...)

It was loosing audio quality that worried me. Sounds like I’ll be upgrading my gen 3 to a gen4.
You only need the 2GB Odroid N2 - CE edition to run Kodi at Max speed, with no limitations.

ODROID-N2 Gehäuse transparent case - is NOT needed. CE edition already comes with a case.

ODROID USB3.0 eMMC Module Writer - is NOT needed. You issue an ‘installtointernal’ command to copy CE from microSDHC to eMMC.

Odroid IR Remote Controller for C1+/C2/N2 - is NOT needed, the MINIX A2 lite remote is far superior and will be a hell of a lot more responsive.

In fact high bitrate 4K HDR Bluray Rips requires you to use Gigabit Ethernet only otherwise expect trouble.

Hi again, I just received all necessary parts. Now Im looking for a How to Setup and installation guide, can you suggest me usefull link for this guide please ? I guees I need to plug eMMC modul which we bought seperately, and I need to transfer coreleec files from SD card which they send with N2 to the our new eMMC right ? And I really need to find a how to link for complete necessary settings on N2.

I could find only this link ( https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/...odi.27166/ ) Is it enough and correct guide or I do not need to follow some steps of this guide because of I bought coreleec edition of N2 ?

Thanx in advance
(2019-11-20, 14:35)lovnblack Wrote:

Hi again, I just received all necessary parts. Now Im looking for a How to Setup and installation guide, can you suggest me usefull link for this guide please ?
I guees I need to plug eMMC modul which we bought seperately, and I need to transfer coreleec files from SD card which they send with N2 to the our new eMMC right ?
And I really need to find a how to link for complete necessary settings on N2.

Hi,
Startup CE Kodi from the SD card, without the eMMC module installed.

Make sure you enable SSH login when you setup CE Kodi.
If you did not enable SSH initially, then you can reenable it in Kodi > Settings > CoreELEC ....

Then use the following mini guide to SSH login to CE from a PC or Mac and issue the installtoemmc command:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2894545

To turn OFF the N2 with a MINIX A2 lite remote, follow this HERE (click)

Further support over on the CoreELEC forums please.

W.

(2019-11-20, 15:38)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-11-20, 14:35)lovnblack Wrote:

Hi again, I just received all necessary parts. Now Im looking for a How to Setup and installation guide, can you suggest me usefull link for this guide please ?
I guees I need to plug eMMC modul which we bought seperately, and I need to transfer coreleec files from SD card which they send with N2 to the our new eMMC right ?
And I really need to find a how to link for complete necessary settings on N2.

Hi,
Startup CE Kodi from the SD card, without the eMMC module installed.

Make sure you enable SSH login when you setup CE Kodi.
If you did not enable SSH initially, then you can reenable it in Kodi > Settings > CoreELEC ....

Then use the following mini guide to SSH login to CE from a PC or Mac and issue the installtoemmc command:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2894545

To turn OFF the N2 with a MINIX A2 lite remote, follow this HERE (click)

Further support over on the CoreELEC forums please.

W.

Ok thank you for necessary information and link. What about installing eMMC, when and how I will install it?
  • 229(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28