• 243(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2020-04-16, 14:46)noggin Wrote:
(2020-04-16, 11:49)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-04-16, 10:42)noggin Wrote: Not everyone wants an AVR + Separate speakers @wrxtasy - some prefer sound bars, and most modern sound bars use ARC or eARC? 

Audio receiver = AVR or Soundbar.

As an example, my Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar does 4K@60Hz DolbyVision + HLG HDR - video passthru and...
Dolby Digital, DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA, 8 channel LPCM

Dolby Atmos on Soundbars = Mass marketed Gimmick IMHO. Sad 

Ah - I've never thought of a sound bar as an Audio Receiver as they seldom have Radio tuner functionality (the Receiver in Audio Receiver)

People still use the tuner function? [emoji16]
(2020-04-16, 17:01)lightsout Wrote:
(2020-04-16, 14:46)noggin Wrote:
(2020-04-16, 11:49)wrxtasy Wrote: Audio receiver = AVR or Soundbar.

As an example, my Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar does 4K@60Hz DolbyVision + HLG HDR - video passthru and...
Dolby Digital, DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA, 8 channel LPCM

Dolby Atmos on Soundbars = Mass marketed Gimmick IMHO. Sad 

Ah - I've never thought of a sound bar as an Audio Receiver as they seldom have Radio tuner functionality (the Receiver in Audio Receiver) 

People still use the tuner function? [emoji16] 

Some people still use CDs  Rofl
(2020-04-15, 15:39)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2020-04-15, 13:11)horstepipe Wrote: hello fellows,
can anybody compare the Kodi performance of the Beelink GT-King with the Beelink GT1-Mini 2?
I'm happy with the GT-King, wondering if the GT1 Mini 2 will perform roughly the same (S922X vs S905X3), as it is 20 bucks cheaper.

I have both, how would you compare?  I dual boot both of them and both of them play Netflix in 1080p. 
Thanks for the answer.
I'm mainly focused on menu performance with a heavier skin like embuary. if you don't mind, would you install it on both boxes and check the navigation performance and widget loading times? Is there a noticeable difference?
@wrxtasy

Can you tell something about S922X vs S905X3?
Guess S922X has a better CoreElec support. But these boxes are for my non techy friends so they stick with Android (I'm aware of the downsides).
(2020-04-16, 19:48)horstepipe Wrote: Can you tell something about S922X vs S905X3?
Guess S922X has a better CoreElec support. But these boxes are for my non techy friends so they stick with Android (I'm aware of the downsides).

I can tell from my experience, all S922X boxes (not SBCs) come with preinstalled Android which work on them without noticeable downsides. Cannot say that for S905X3 as I have no experience with them running on Android. Smart choice is to select one that has better passive cooling, as not all of them have adequate size heatsinks and air flow, which S922X SoC needs.
For comparison between S922X vs S905X3 @wrxtasy is THE expert, so wait for his word on that.
(2020-04-16, 19:48)horstepipe Wrote: @wrxtasy

Can you tell something about S922X vs S905X3?

S922X = 6 Core CPU package and a nice fast ARM Mali-G51 GPU @846Mhz
S905X3 = 4 Core CPU package and a ARM Mali-Mali-G31 GPU @650MHz

There is a good comparison of the S905X3 Beelink GT Mini-2 vs the S922X Beelink GT-King Pro found over HERE (click)

If you were in the USA and did not need USB Hard Drive Support then the snappy budget streaming only devices to look at are the S905Y2 - Android TV v9.0 Pie:

- Verizon Stream TV
- AirTV Mini
- TiVo Stream 4K (should be released real soon)

For non tech users Android TV will be much easier to use vs the touchscreen / tablet - regular Android OS.

Otherwise in the regular tablet Android OS space, Ugoos currently provide the best Firmware and support.
There is the budget (S905X2) - X2 Cube and the S905X3 - X3 Cube, plus the S922X AM6

Over on Aliexpress Website the X3 Cube & Beelink GT Mini-2 comes from some sellers with an optional $5 - G20S Air Mouse Wireless Remote (click) - which has been getting good feedback.

Will the S905X3 be good enough - Yes !

But you will get better A/V decode support by running CoreELEC Kodi.

PS: Ugoos devices mentioned now have Dual Boot Firmware available (click)
PPS: The Beelink GT Mini-2 comes with WideVine L1 DRM and HDCP 2.2 which allows more paid for, copy protected video streaming.

W.

Thanks for you replay @wrxtasy
(2020-04-16, 10:38)wrxtasy Wrote: Why would you do that with unproven eARC technology ?

Because as far as I know Dolby Atmos only works on e/ARC on soundbars in question and I dont think Ill have an option to simply use ARC only if both devices support eARC on the only one passthru hdmi connection available on both TV and soundbar.
(2020-04-16, 10:38)wrxtasy Wrote: The most reliable, proven (and tidy) way to setup audio is buy an audio receiver, with multiple HDMI input connections - ones that are 4K@60Hz DolbyVision + HLG HDR - video passthru - capable and then connect....

4K HDR Media Player > Audio Receiver < HDMI (e)ARC > 4K HDR TV.

Well maybe I did not explain properly but setup im aiming for is pretty similar to what youre describing ^^:

Kodi player (either Odroid or any other one that is going to support dolby atmos 7.1.4 + Dolby Digital, DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA, 8 channel LPCMwith hard drives connected to)
-> soundbar (jbl bar 9.1 or samsung HW-Q90R)
-> HDMI e/ARC passthru
-> sony bravia 65ZD9 4k hdr 3d
(2020-04-16, 10:38)wrxtasy Wrote: You do not get HD audio out of Apps running on any Smart TV anyway, even TV's that are already eARC capable.
Lossy DD+/Atmos from Smart TV Apps like Netflix etc is perfectly capable of transport over regular HDMI ARC

eARC and also HDMI 2.1 will come into it's own for 4:4:4 Chroma 4K@60Hz or greater HDR PC and next gen. console gaming, where you can passthru lossless > 2.0 Multichannel PCM audio thru an eARC TV.

The other point to make is you want an audio receiver that supports basically everything if you want to do it properly:
Dolby Digital, DD+, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HRA, 8 channel LPCM + if possible Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 

So I guess my question still stands: which one of all listed kodi boxes/players from the first post of this thread will support all required audios?

Odroid N2 has been recommended to me but I am not sure if it supports Atmos 7.1.4 to fully utilize soundbars im considering to buy and if it does then great but id like to look at other options as well if there are any Smile
(2020-04-17, 09:52)emvoo Wrote: So I guess my question still stands: which one of all listed kodi boxes/players from the first post of this thread will support all required audios?

Odroid N2 has been recommended to me but I am not sure if it supports Atmos 7.1.4 to fully utilize soundbars im considering to buy and if it does then great but id like to look at other options as well if there are any Smile

The reason I'm reluctant to recommend going down the eARC route is because you are introducing another HDMI link into the HDMI chain that is a possibly point of causing problems and then failure.

I've already been reading about eARC problems on 2019 LG OLED's for example - it's Not yet a proven technology IMHO.
You need to thoroughly research your particular TV first for any existing eARC problems. AVSForums might help.

This is why I'm strongly advising, you consider also getting an Audio receiver that can do 4K@60Hz DolbyVision HLG HDR video passthru.

Regarding specifically 7.1.4 Atmos - I think you are better asking that exact question over on the CoreELEC problems.
There are guys that have AVR Atmos setups over there that could better answer that question - BUT I doubt they are using eARC.

Everything working properly together is great in theory, but being an early adopter is always fraught with lots of risks.
Personally, I would want to be able to return hardware if it did not work.

(2020-04-17, 10:15)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-04-17, 09:52)emvoo Wrote: So I guess my question still stands: which one of all listed kodi boxes/players from the first post of this thread will support all required audios?

The reason I'm reluctant to recommend going down the eARC route is because you are introducing another HDMI link into the HDMI chain that is a possibly point of causing problems and then failure.

I've already been reading about eARC problems on 2019 LG OLED's for example - it's Not yet a proven technology IMHO.
You need to thoroughly research your particular TV first for any existing eARC problems. AVSForums might help.

This is why I'm strongly advising, you consider also getting an Audio receiver that can do 4K@60Hz DolbyVision HLG HDR video passthru.

Regarding specifically 7.1.4 Atmos - I think you are better asking that exact question over on the CoreELEC problems.
There are guys that have AVR Atmos setups over there that could better answer that question - BUT I doubt they are using eARC.

Everything working properly together is great in theory, but being an early adopter is always fraught with lots of risks.
Personally, I would want to be able to return hardware if it did not work. 

Thanks, Ill take it into consideration especially that Im rather new to all this with very limited time to research and that being said does not make me a good candidate for early adopter Smile and I guess to end up with expensive equipment that does not work as its supposed to is pointless to the very least
(2020-04-16, 19:31)horstepipe Wrote:
(2020-04-15, 15:39)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2020-04-15, 13:11)horstepipe Wrote: hello fellows,
can anybody compare the Kodi performance of the Beelink GT-King with the Beelink GT1-Mini 2?
I'm happy with the GT-King, wondering if the GT1 Mini 2 will perform roughly the same (S922X vs S905X3), as it is 20 bucks cheaper.

I have both, how would you compare?  I dual boot both of them and both of them play Netflix in 1080p.  
Thanks for the answer.
I'm mainly focused on menu performance with a heavier skin like embuary. if you don't mind, would you install it on both boxes and check the navigation performance and widget loading times? Is there a noticeable difference? 
I run Embuary on all of my boxes, and I don't notice any difference in performance running CoreELEC.....
Hi guys, does anybody here had a change to compare the output image quality of an Odroid n2 vs an intel soc vs a ziddo box or a oppo 203? lets say for a person who is in the process of building a custom home theater whats the best bet??
(i already have the n2 on my living room) i don't care for 2160p and hdr, my only concerns are picture output quality/processing and audio.
best regards!
(2020-04-18, 16:38)bizuka Wrote: (i already have the n2 on my living room) i don't care for 2160p and hdr, my only concerns are picture output quality/processing and audio.
best regards!

The Oppo and Bluray Discs (and Rips) are going to win in ANY picture quality race.

Honestly you should also be looking at new AI Super Resolution Tech in Premium displays. Ones that come with dedicated powerful Picture Processors in them, if you want to go chasing Ultimate picture quality these days.

You end up with no limitations then when upscaling if you also pick a media player device that can do auto Resolution Switching to output content in it’s native Res.

See a thread over on Whirlpool Oz I posted about such Premium tech in various displays:

AI Super Resolution Picture Upscaling on 4K TV's (click)

What I can tell you is the N2’s picture output looks fantastic on my GZ Panasonic OLED. Clean and crisp.
Audio is no issues either for basically anything you wanna to throw at it.

From memory CoreELEC Kodi has disabled AMLogic S922X picture post processing by default. A Premium modern display will be better at that anyway.

Modern Intel running LibreELEC as well would have no issues with 1080p only and all types of audio. Clean and crisp video out of that combo as well.

Both the CoreELEC N2 and LibreELEC Intel will be much simpler to use vs the other two.

A LOT, these days depends on what type of display you intend to use ?

Class leading Picture Processing was one of the reasons I went with Panasonic, they really know their shit ! Smile

@wrxtasy i have a dedicated home server with all my remuxes, so no phisical disks. the client will only read remuxed videos on an .mkv container. About the upscaling i prefer the tv to do that kind of work instead of adding post processing
I'm more than happy with the N2 don't get me wrong, it puts all that android gargabe in a corner, my personal opinion is that linux is the way to go for video/music playback. Auto Refresh Rate, Resolution, Color Switch etc...
The N2 looks fantastic too on my LG Oled (should had bought panasonic) but a man is never happy....
i got better results by disabling the noise reduction do you have it on?
The idea is to get a Sony vpl-hw45es and connect it to my AVR and power amps, i'm inclined to get a oppo clone but i have serious doubts about the "massive gains" against the n2!
Only thing extra I can think of that an Oppo clone will give you is Bluray Menu’s and Dual Layer DolbyVision I believe.
AVS Forums has all the info about such “ChinOppo” clones.

I would have to check on N2 Noise Reduction when I get home.

I’ve no idea about projectors.

(2020-03-04, 18:18)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-03-04, 17:46)evlo Wrote: Do you know if there is soon to be have N2 core elec sale for around 75 usd it was until about 3 days ago?

Otherwise look at quality Gigabit LAN (1000M) - Ugoos products for CE Kodi like the cheaper S905X2 / S905X3 - Ugoos X2 / X3 Cube 
@wrxtasy I took your advice here, wanted a cheap amlogic device. Grabbed an X2 Cube. Liking that they offer a custom rom that can dual boot CE and Android, I will probably grab the rom on freaktab that has ATV instead of the tablet version.

Anything to be aware of with this device? I will probably use it in a bedroom setting, for local media and some music. I assume it can handle UHD remuxes in Coreelec ok. I currently on an N2 as well so familiar with its capabilities.
  • 243(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28