• 244(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2020-04-19, 01:26)lightsout Wrote:
(2020-03-04, 18:18)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-03-04, 17:46)evlo Wrote: Do you know if there is soon to be have N2 core elec sale for around 75 usd it was until about 3 days ago?

Otherwise look at quality Gigabit LAN (1000M) - Ugoos products for CE Kodi like the cheaper S905X2 / S905X3 - Ugoos X2 / X3 Cube  
@wrxtasy I took your advice here, wanted a cheap amlogic device. Grabbed an X2 Cube. Liking that they offer a custom rom that can dual boot CE and Android, I will probably grab the rom on freaktab that has ATV instead of the tablet version.

Anything to be aware of with this device? I will probably use it in a bedroom setting, for local media and some music. I assume it can handle UHD remuxes in Coreelec ok. I currently on an N2 as well so familiar with its capabilities. 
The Stock Remote Control is pretty rubbish, which is to be expected. Otherwise the Ugoos X2 Cube is a great device, I have the X2 Pro which is basically the same & using CoreELEC it works perfectly for any 1080p/4K media I've tried. The Dual-boot is a nice touch as well, and I updated CoreELEC to the latest version via the GUI with no problems. I'd definitely recommend them as cheap CoreELEC devices, and like you I went on the word of the guru wrxtasy Smile
(2020-04-19, 01:32)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-04-19, 01:26)lightsout Wrote:
(2020-03-04, 18:18)wrxtasy Wrote: Otherwise look at quality Gigabit LAN (1000M) - Ugoos products for CE Kodi like the cheaper S905X2 / S905X3 - Ugoos X2 / X3 Cube  
@wrxtasy I took your advice here, wanted a cheap amlogic device. Grabbed an X2 Cube. Liking that they offer a custom rom that can dual boot CE and Android, I will probably grab the rom on freaktab that has ATV instead of the tablet version.

Anything to be aware of with this device? I will probably use it in a bedroom setting, for local media and some music. I assume it can handle UHD remuxes in Coreelec ok. I currently on an N2 as well so familiar with its capabilities. 
The Stock Remote Control is pretty rubbish, which is to be expected. Otherwise the Ugoos X2 Cube is a great device, I have the X2 Pro which is basically the same & using CoreELEC it works perfectly for any 1080p/4K media I've tried. The Dual-boot is a nice touch as well, and I updated CoreELEC to the latest version via the GUI with no problems. I'd definitely recommend them as cheap CoreELEC devices, and like you I went on the word of the guru wrxtasy Smile

Excellent that's great to hear. A little nervous running Android and CE on that 16gb emmc but my Android install will be pretty light and probably not get much usage.

I got a combo that came with a different remote with a keyboard. I also have a Minix remote so hopefully I'll be covered.
Few people here are reporting no issues with Odroid N2

I specifically even asked about missing audio - can you please record video how the seeking works for you?
Multiple people on core elec forum confirmed they have this issue too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh5tBZ2i7i8
Any cheap boxes worth looking at with Amazon prime? Noticed an X96 with s905x3 but the reviews aren't great.
(2020-04-21, 00:41)lightsout Wrote: Any cheap boxes worth looking at with Amazon prime? Noticed an X96 with s905x3 but the reviews aren't great.

In the USA you should be looking at the Verizon Stream TV or the AirTV Mini if you want S905Y2 chipset - budget, snappy Android TV with paid for copy protected streaming Apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I think the Google Certified - Mecool KM9 and KM3 can do Android TV - Amazon Prime.
The App might need sideloading- not sure.
Those can also dual boot and run CoreELEC Kodi.

Why are you not simply buying an often dirt cheap Amazon FireTV Stick 4K ?
It's guaranteed Prime will run better on that vs anything else. Kodi will be fine on it as well.

Mecool's newest Google Certified device is the KM1, using the Amlogic S905X3.  It has a locked bootloader, so NO dual booting.  Of course, it is NOT Netflix blessed, so only 1080p with special modded app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s6BNIqLpzM&t=1s
(2020-04-21, 15:55)clarkss12 Wrote: Mecool's newest Google Certified device is the KM1, using the Amlogic S905X3.  It has a locked bootloader, so NO dual booting.  Of course, it is NOT Netflix blessed, so only 1080p with special modded app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s6BNIqLpzM&t=1s

I had a lot of running hot with my misnamed Mecools, so I avoid them now.
(2020-04-21, 06:56)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-04-21, 00:41)lightsout Wrote: Any cheap boxes worth looking at with Amazon prime? Noticed an X96 with s905x3 but the reviews aren't great.

In the USA you should be looking at the Verizon Stream TV or the AirTV Mini if you want S905Y2 chipset - budget, snappy Android TV with paid for copy protected streaming Apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I think the Google Certified - Mecool KM9 and KM3 can do Android TV - Amazon Prime.
The App might need sideloading- not sure.
Those can also dual boot and run CoreELEC Kodi.

Why are you not simply buying an often dirt cheap Amazon FireTV Stick 4K ?
It's guaranteed Prime will run better on that vs anything else. Kodi will be fine on it as well.
Ah my bad. I should have clarified. I meant prime shipping. Wanted something to play with that wouldn't take a month. Have an X2 cube on the way but was thinking about something else also.

I would like a box to be able to dual boot with coreelec and have analog audio out to use it for music with an amp.

That's why I went with the X2. Seems like most of the stuff that ships from Amazon is no name with bad support. Seems like a good idea to but something that has some rom support on freaktab.

I probably just need to be patient and wait for the overseas shipping. Is there a preference between AliExpress, geekbuying and gearbest? I'm in the states.
Odroid just released a new model, the c4. Would be cool to see it how it stacks up on this list. Based off the video they posted using corelec, it can do up to 8k 25fps and hdr works
How the Android Tvs fare using Kodi?

I mean are they decent players (in Kodi) - like a media box?

I am thinking of buying a Sony KD XG8096, its an Android TV and Kodi can be installed... Do those players passthough HD audio? are they playing back fine 24p content (using kodi ofc)... 

Thank you
(2020-05-14, 19:12)solamnic Wrote: How the Android Tvs fare using Kodi?

I am thinking of buying a Sony KD XG8096, its an Android TV and Kodi can be installed... Do those players passthough HD audio? are they playing back fine 24p content (using kodi ofc)... 

Thank you

Unless your TV has eARC you aren't going to be able to output HD Audio so passthrough isn't possible.  Not sure how many current Sony models have eARC.

Accepted wisdom is that XF and XG series have quite underpowered SoCs running Android TV - and I'm not sure they frame rate switch (so that's a non-starter for European users who want 25/50 for European content and 23.976/24 for movies and US TV drama/comedy)
(2020-05-14, 20:10)noggin Wrote:
(2020-05-14, 19:12)solamnic Wrote: How the Android Tvs fare using Kodi?

Thank you

Unless your TV has eARC you aren't going to be able to output HD Audio so passthrough isn't possible.  Not sure how many current Sony models have eARC.

Accepted wisdom is that XF and XG series have quite underpowered SoCs running Android TV - and I'm not sure they frame rate switch (so that's a non-starter for European users who want 25/50 for European content and 23.976/24 for movies and US TV drama/comedy) 
Hmmm... you really made my choice easy (was between an LG TV and Sony (for my parents)) - was close to Sony due to Kodi... BUT... better to go for LG (i think Webos - Netflix is more stable than its android counterpart)..
(LG 49SM8200)

wanted a TV for my parents to watch Netflix.. and if they could also use Kodi it would be ok... 
But it seems the better choise is to use a box for Kodi (they already have a Tanix tx 3 mini with Coreelec on it )
(2020-05-14, 20:10)noggin Wrote: Accepted wisdom is that XF and XG series have quite underpowered SoCs running Android TV -

The Premium Sony 2019 X95G/X9500G, A9G and the 2018 “Master Series” specifically...
Have been packing a much more powerful MediaTek SoC in them for a while now.
Everything else Sony was rubbish - If we are talking SoC’s.

(2020-05-15, 08:24)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-14, 20:10)noggin Wrote: Accepted wisdom is that XF and XG series have quite underpowered SoCs running Android TV -

The Premium Sony 2019 X95G/X9500G, A9G and the 2018 “Master Series” specifically...
Have been packing a much more powerful MediaTek SoC in them for a while now.
Everything else Sony was rubbish - If we are talking SoC’s.   

Ah - I hadn't seen the XG9500 series had received an upgrade.  The XG9000 and XF9000 both had the same underpowered (for Kodi at least) older Mediatek SoC.

The big annoying change with the XG9000 series was the switch to an 8-bit (with FRC) rather than a 10-bit panel (My XF9005 has a 10-bit panel).  Whether I'd see the difference I'm not sure - but I certainly see the benefit of 10-bit h.265 SDR encodes from 10-bit sources over 8-bit SDR encodes.  Huge decrease in banding and other quantisation artefacts. (Whether I'd see similar benefits on an 8-bit+FRC panel, or a plain 8-bit panel with decent dithering who knows.)
I love kodi but other people I chat to tell me kodi is dead and plex is so much better.

I've never tried anything else but kodi.

Does any users here know any advantages for kodi vs plex.

My requirements are audio passthrough of dts HD etc and 4k hdr so I went with the advised odroid n2 and vero 4k in the past.

Can plex do everything what kodi can now?

I'm hoping kodi is superior in some ways 😊
  • 244(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28