• 246(current)
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2020-06-23, 12:46)lightsout Wrote: Anyone know of a cheap remote that will control a TCL TV with Roku operating system and a Ugoos X2? I have an extra remote that is 2.4 GHz that controls the Ugoos. But unlike the Odroid N2 I can't control the Ugoos box over HDMI CEC with the TV's remote.

Dunno, I use my Samsung TV Remote to control the Ugoos with CoreELEC, never tried with Android. Are you sure you've got it setup properly?
(2020-06-23, 14:45)FXB78 Wrote:
(2020-06-23, 12:46)lightsout Wrote: Anyone know of a cheap remote that will control a TCL TV with Roku operating system and a Ugoos X2? I have an extra remote that is 2.4 GHz that controls the Ugoos. But unlike the Odroid N2 I can't control the Ugoos box over HDMI CEC with the TV's remote.

Dunno, I use my Samsung TV Remote to control the Ugoos with CoreELEC, never tried with Android. Are you sure you've got it setup properly?

Yeah that's what I'm trying to do, control coreelec. I went through the settings, everything was on in the CEC adapter. The TV sees the Ugoos as a CEC device, and things like changing the input work.

I messed with it a bit last night and couldn't get it to work. Strange because like I said in another room with a similar TV. (TCL 5 series this one is TCL 4 series.) and an Odroid N2 this works fine.

I'm going to swap the devices out between TV's and see what happens.
Recent modern AMLogic chipset devices might like too look at CoreELEC’s BL301.BIN Injection (click)

PS Dev. board like the ODROID N2 already include that in their Bootloaders for extra support functionality.

(2020-06-05, 20:26)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-06-05, 18:33)shad Wrote: What would your advice be?

SPDIF needed then get the (S905X3) Ugoos X3 Cube or an (S922) Ugoos AM6.
Quality hardware properly designed with correctly engineered passive heatsinkS.

Add a Wireless Plug n Play WeChip G20S or G30S remote to control both of them. Such packages are found on AliExpress.

The "S" version of these remotes have Infra Red Learning capabilities.

Use the existing FireTV Stick 4K for paid, copy protected video streaming Apps.
Thank you and also @FXB78!

As far as I see, the only difference between Ugoos X3 Cube and Ugoos X3 Pro is 2GB+16GB vs. 4GB+32GB.

Cube would be enough for CoreELEC from what I've read, although this would be the first proper Kodi device for me, where I would use the librabry etc., so I'm not sure what "enough" actually means here. How big can a library become? Not that those 16GB are not enough in the end. I think I have something around 500 movies and maybe 30 tv shows.

For Android 3-4GB RAM, so the Pro model, is "required" for smooth usage. Not sure if I will need Android, because I've the FireTV Stick 4k...

Is it possible (adviceable) to install CoreELEC on the internal eMMC flash or would I need an SDCard to run CE from?

Also is the original remore control that bad, so that an alternative is needed?
What are those Infra Red Learning capabilities of the "S" models of the WeChip G20/G30 remote controls? Turn the device on / off, or more?
Can't the remote control of the FireTV 4k be used for the Ugoos X3?

Never bought anything from AliExpress so far. Mixed reports about it's reputation apparently...
(2020-06-24, 22:03)shad Wrote:
(2020-06-05, 20:26)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-06-05, 18:33)shad Wrote: What would your advice be?

SPDIF needed then get the (S905X3) Ugoos X3 Cube or an (S922) Ugoos AM6.
Quality hardware properly designed with correctly engineered passive heatsinkS.

Add a Wireless Plug n Play WeChip G20S or G30S remote to control both of them. Such packages are found on AliExpress.

The "S" version of these remotes have Infra Red Learning capabilities.

Use the existing FireTV Stick 4K for paid, copy protected video streaming Apps.
Thank you and also @FXB78!

As far as I see, the only difference between Ugoos X3 Cube and Ugoos X3 Pro is 2GB+16GB vs. 4GB+32GB.

Cube would be enough for CoreELEC from what I've read, although this would be the first proper Kodi device for me, where I would use the librabry etc., so I'm not sure what "enough" actually means here. How big can a library become? Not that those 16GB are not enough in the end. I think I have something around 500 movies and maybe 30 tv shows.

For Android 3-4GB RAM, so the Pro model, is "required" for smooth usage. Not sure if I will need Android, because I've the FireTV Stick 4k...

Is it possible (adviceable) to install CoreELEC on the internal eMMC flash or would I need an SDCard to run CE from?

Also is the original remore control that bad, so that an alternative is needed?
What are those Infra Red Learning capabilities of the "S" models of the WeChip G20/G30 remote controls? Turn the device on / off, or more?

Never bought anything from AliExpress so far. Mixed reports about it's reputation apparently...

As far as installing coreelec you can install it to the emmc, I recommend this rom
https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-play...roidtv-9-0

I have the X2 with the same rom from the same dev. It puts both Android and Coreelec on the emmc. You can switch between the two, to my surprise once you 
boot into one of the OS's you stay there even through reboots unless you give the command to boot to alternate OS.

So for me I can't even tell Android is there, its like a pure CE device, which is what I wanted.

I have also read many times on the Coreelec forum that 2gb of ram is plenty. I have also the 2gb 16gb version (but the older X2 model) and so far it is working great. 
I have maybe 800 movies. I haven't done tons of viewing with it just set it up and played some 4k HEVC stuff. It skips around nice and smooth through a 60gb mkv.
Yes the difference between the Cube & Pro is just the RAM & Storage, I went for the Pro because it was only about £5/10 more. I bought from AliExpress with no problems, took about 3 weeks for delivery.

The Remote Control is quite cheap but might work fine for CoreELEC, I use CEC so never really used it. Overall it works very well as a CoreELEC box Smile
(2020-06-24, 23:16)FXB78 Wrote: Yes the difference between the Cube & Pro is just the RAM & Storage, I went for the Pro because it was only about £5/10 more. I bought from AliExpress with no problems, took about 3 weeks for delivery.

The Remote Control is quite cheap but might work fine for CoreELEC, I use CEC so never really used it. Overall it works very well as a CoreELEC box Smile

So you got CEC working with yours? What brand TV?
(2020-06-25, 01:00)lightsout Wrote:
(2020-06-24, 23:16)FXB78 Wrote: Yes the difference between the Cube & Pro is just the RAM & Storage, I went for the Pro because it was only about £5/10 more. I bought from AliExpress with no problems, took about 3 weeks for delivery.

So you got CEC working with yours? What brand TV?
Samsung, works perfectly with CoreELEC.
(2020-06-24, 22:03)shad Wrote: Also is the original remore control that bad, so that an alternative is needed?

Wireless remotes are Always superior vs Infra Red ones included in cheapest Android Boxes.
They do not need to be pointed at the device, they are much more responsive and for CoreELEC they will work each and every time due to their mini RF receiver dongles.

CoreELEC devices need Infra Red to turn devices Off / On and that is why you also want that functionality. A single remote that can learn such commands from another one adds that.
I do not think a FireTV 4K remote can do IR learning.

Plus once a Bluetooth remote like the FireTV ones are paired to CE Kodi they cannot be used with Amazon devices without re-pairing them again. Once that is done they cannot be used with CE Kodi again without re-pairing.

If you Dual Boot Android / CoreELEC these WeChip remote work with both OS’s in a Plug Play manner. Plus you get Air Mouse Functionality.
Basically there are a LOT a Plusses and extra Functionality with those WeChip remotes.

HDMI CEC should NOT be relied upon for device control. If it works fine then consider it a bonus because different comboS of devices and TV brands can have all sorts of issues with CEC control.

Thanks guys,

have read a bit through the freaktab forum. Not that much info there, but:

1. Saw a video about Ugoos X3 and the guy suggests to replace the original antenna for better performance. Haven't read about it here so far, I believe. What is it about?

2. Also saw a thread, where AML S905X3 is compared to AML S905X4. There the rumour about AML S905X4 supporting AV1 codec mentioned in wrxtasy's post here is confirmed, but now that over 1 year since wrxtasy's post has passed, AML S905X4 devices aren't that far away, apparently, and also Ugoos X4 is pictured there with "soon in 2020", so that it probably makes sense to wait for it. What do you guys think?
(2020-06-25, 03:56)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-06-24, 22:03)shad Wrote: Also is the original remore control that bad, so that an alternative is needed?

Wireless remotes are Always superior vs Infra Red ones included in cheapest Android Boxes.
They do not need to be pointed at the device, they are much more responsive and for CoreELEC they will work each and every time due to their mini RF receiver dongles.

CoreELEC devices need Infra Red to turn devices Off / On and that is why you also want that functionality. A single remote that can learn such commands from another one adds that.

Plus once a Bluetooth remote like the FireTV ones are paired to CE Kodi they cannot be used with Amazon devices without re-pairing them again. Once that is done they cannot be used with CE Kodi again without re-pairing.

If you Dual Boot Android / CoreELEC these WeChip remote work with both OS’s in a Plug Play manner. Plus you get Air Mouse Functionality.
Basically there are a LOT a Plusses and extra Functionality with those WeChip remotes.

HDMI CEC should NOT be relied upon for device control. If it works fine then consider it a bonus because different comboS of devices and TV brands can have all sorts of issues with CEC control.
Which is all great, but imo the problem of having two remotes sucks and kind of kills the benefits of remotes like the wechip.
(2020-06-25, 22:24)lightsout Wrote:
(2020-06-25, 03:56)wrxtasy Wrote:

Which is all great, but imo the problem of having two remotes sucks and kind of kills the benefits of remotes like the wechip.

Well with Infra Red learning remotes you can teach it to a least Turn a TV - OFF / ON.
Those new AML chipset devices use very little power even when left on 24/7

For me, IR remotes have been better simply because a good IR learning remote can be customized and control other devices in the chain. For Kodi use, a flirc coupled with IR learning opens up quite a few possibilities. Yes it’s not as snappy as BT or wifi but that’s a compromise.
Hi , i recently bought an H96MAX  tv box with S905 X3 soc. I installed AFRD app to have proper auto refresh frame rate and works really fine. In droid settings the display is locked in 4K/60 fps. When  it streams 720/1080p to my 4K sony xf9005 , the upscaling is done by the box (true?)  because my tv shows 4k indication  in the info.
My question is how can i set the box in order to  let  the tv do the upscaling? Do i have every time to do it manually from droid settings  or there is another choice in KODI settings
(2020-06-28, 21:34)chriskan22 Wrote: Hi , i recently bought an H96MAX  tv box with S905 X3 soc. I installed AFRD app to have proper auto refresh frame rate and works really fine. In droid settings the display is locked in 4K/60 fps. When  it streams 720/1080p to my 4K sony xf9005 , the upscaling is done by the box (true?)  because my tv shows 4k indication  in the info.
My question is how can i set the box in order to  let  the tv do the upscaling? Do i have every time to do it manually from droid settings  or there is another choice in KODI settings

For Android AMLogic devices:
2160p set in Device Resolution settings = all non 4K content upscaled by the media player.
There is NO 2160p < > 1080p < > 720p auto Resolution Switching. You have to do it manually.

If you want auto Resolution Switching you need to use CoreELEC Kodi.

• 246(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28