Playing ripped DVD content
Hello,

I am really disappointed by myself since I am not able to find out how to play my ripped DVDs.
I already found out how to name the directory so that the covered episodes are shown in the right way.
But whenever I select one of the episodes I just get the "DVD Company..." into.
My structure is:
series-titel
--Season 1
----s01e01-02-03-04-05-06
------VIDEO_TS.BUP
------VIDEO_TS.IFO
------VIDEO_TS.VOB
----s01e07-08-09-10...

Based on the naming I see all episodes in the GUI (Confluence).
But When I select one of the episodes - just see the "DVD Company..." intro - no main menu :-(
When I doubleclick on VIDEO_TS.IFO on my PC the main menu of the DVD start - and I can select the episode I want to see.
Based on what I have found during my search within the last 2 days I would expect that also within Kodi the main menu should start up and let me select the right episode.

The naming conventions of the Kodi Wiki (http://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files/Movies) confuse me a little bit, because they say:
...for DVD-Video movies stored in file-mode on the harddrive:
\Movies\Alien (1979)\VIDEO_TS.IFO
Alternatively:
\Movies\Alien (1979)\VIDEO_TS\VIDEO_TS.IFO

No idea what I have to change so that this works for me.
I have no specials - just 1:1 copies of the DVD.
I hope that someone can help me with this.

On the other hand the Wiki says that there is a Kodi DVDPlayer (http://kodi.wiki/view/DVDPlayer)
"DVDPlayer is XBMC's video player, capable of playing DVD video and many other video formats. DVDPlayer supports DVD video with menus, from CD/DVD-media, harddrive, network, ISO/IMG-images and RAR/ZIP archives..."
No idea how to use this DVDPlayer?
Do I have to install it as Add-On?

Ciao,
imos70
The DVD-player from Kodi is used by default when you start a movie. But I guess you choose the wron file to play the movie. Not a problem, this might be very confusing. As I don't know which software you use to rip your DVDs (and it's not very important), you could use a CD/DVD Burning tool and write those files to an ISO. Be aware to keep the DVD structure and DO NOT RENAME ANYTHING!!!.

If you then hit "play" on the *.iso file, Kodi will read this file, recognize the DVD structure and it will do the rest for you. Including menus.

The benefit for the iso is, that you have only a single file for the complete movie. It's much more cleaner and easier to handle. I have all my movies in *.iso files and all are working fine.

The iso file itself, after it's done, can be named exactly to the movie...like: Alien.iso or Avatar.iso or whatever the movie is called.

Greetings
Hello David1977,

thanks a lot for the fast reply.
I am really grateful for every tip I get - it sounds so easy - but I do not get it running :-(
I already made one ISO today.
But when I tried to "play" it I got the same result - just the "DVD Company..." intro - no main menu :-(

I will test this tomorrow again with another DVD - and let you know about the results.
One more question. do I have to include also the AUDIO_TS directory?
My rips do not include them - so there are no AUDIO_TS directories on my HDD at the moment.
I rip my DVDs with DVD Decrypter since several years - always working well.

Ciao,
imos70
Hello,

I tested now some scenarios.
And finally I am still confused - and a little bit disappointed.
I created an ISO file and tried to access (Videos -> Files) it with 2 Kodi installations:
1) from my Windows PC
2) from my RasPI (OSMC)
When I execute from my PC - the ISO "DVD" starts with no problem and I can select the episode I want to see.
When I do exactly the same from my RasPI I just hear the background music of the menu - but no picture to select the episode :-(
So exactly the same file - exactly the same process - different result...
Is it maybe a problem that I do not have a MPEG2 license for my RasPI?
But playing "normal" MPEG2 films is possible without any problems...
Really crazy behavior :-(

What I also observed: when I just add the directory with the series - but do not add it to the library - I can also start the DVD by selecting the respective VIDEO_TS.IFO file.
After adding the series to the library I can still start the ISO file as before - but selecting one of the episodes from "Series" shows a screen "This video has been removed" for 12 seconds. Then I have to select a country - and then a get the menu with the episodes. Confusing...
I did not remove anything during the ripping of the DVD - so no idea why this message comes...?
Maybe this is the problem when starting an episode after adding it to the library (menu "Series") from my RasPI.
Might be that RasPI does not like the "This video has been removed" screen.

Maybe someone has another tip for me?

Ciao,
imos70
Quote:Is it maybe a problem that I do not have a MPEG2 license for my RasPI?

Try it and get one.

I don't know much about OSMC. So I would try openELEC to rule that out.

But...in all cases, we need a Debug Log. Without that it's only guessing and that´s a waste of time, tbh Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing ripped DVD content0