Video Library Improvements
Yes, I'd like that as well, and have already suggested it to the team. Whether it happens or not is a team issue (we will probably end up with both available in the code).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i'm all for it. i originally intended to do it like this, but lost a lost the inspiration when i realized that it meant from the code side. basically we have to provide several versions of most library nodes to get all the mixed movies<->tvshows stuff going. or add code to the the vfs to automagically join nodes somehow.
This brings up a question...

How do people navigate/use the TV Shows they keep?

I have created a "TV Shows" button on the home screen separate from "Movies" - this is easier for me to navigate directly to the separate SMB folders that store each type of video. I always know if I'm going to watch one or the other so browsing both at the same time is never needed.

Under "TV Shows" I have things separated by 'type' (Comedy, Educational, etc) and then by: Show Name \ Season \ Episode#-Title

I guess I can see some people wanting to scroll through everything at once but how often do you not know you want to watch a TV Show vs a Movie? Just does not seem too likely to me. Plus, it would take forever to browse everything if you have a lot of either video type.

If I'm missing the point let me know (be polite).
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
You're missing the point, yes.

Obviously shows + movies will be kept separate.

The only place they'll be combined is if you list a genre or actors, where movies and tvshows (note shows, not episodes!).

The main nodes will be something like:

Movies
TV Shows
Actors
Directors
Genres
Years

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

So no reports back on whether the "Filter" stuff is working well or not?

Kinda sucks to spend time working on something then not have any feedback Sad

I saw it there but I'm not exactly sure of the purpose.
I have not played with it much... but what I have done works fine... I'll look at it more and report back soon.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
I do like the filter and it is really nice to be able to do a quick search like that but with the keyboard taking up most of the screen, it is really hard to see the entire benefit. I can see this working best for music in song view (I use iTunes as my primary music player and love the spotlight, as they call it)

Have you ever used the search feature on the new iPods? When you search it will display the relevant results as you type.
Say I type "Zom" (for Zombie) the artist Rob Zombie, Zombie Nation and the album "Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! (from Hellogoodbye) will all show up along with any songs with "zom" in the name.
The album and artists results will act like folders (with picture icons indicating that they are either albums or artists) that you can enter and the song results will act like normal songs, playable by clicking them.

If this were implemented it would probably take the place of both the search and the filter.
Filter is simple as it just requires filtering the current view (ie no db lookup needed etc. - just scanning through the list of items in memory). It works exactly as you describe, but currently only uses label1 and label2 of the current view, which is sufficient for most cases as far as I can tell (ie it's usually what you can see).

Anything to search more than that will require db lookups which will ofcourse be much slower. I agree that the search function will be better if it behaved like that, though speed would be questionable (the lookup may have to be threaded). We could display the previous search result as a node on the library view perhaps as well.

And yeah, the keyboard needs to be smaller - that's a skinning issue though.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I'm happy with it overall. This is the first week or so this feature has been avaliable. I'm sure improvements will come.
Improvements are only gonna come if we get good suggestions/recommendations Wink

Thanks for the current ones - I'll look into the search through db, but I won't promise anything, as speed may be tricky to combat.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Delete From Within Video Library

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to be able to delete Files from within the library instead of having to goto the filemanager. As it stands now I browse, play and manage all my video from the filemanager. If I watch several shows from the Videos library I wind up forgetting what I have and havent watched. Then I dont know what to delete from the filemanager. as opposed to being able to delete shows as I watch them.
curticus1 Wrote:Delete From Within Video Library

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to be able to delete Files from within the library instead of having to goto the filemanager. As it stands now I browse, play and manage all my video from the filemanager. If I watch several shows from the Videos library I wind up forgetting what I have and havent watched. Then I dont know what to delete from the filemanager. as opposed to being able to delete shows as I watch them.

Remove from library already exists... just need to be in library mode Wink
Back on topic:

I've added the improved search routine to the music library. You can access it via the new "Search" node in the library root.

The old search button shouldn't be affected, other than Genres are now not searched (didn't seem to be much point)

Please have a play and see what you think. In particular, I'm interested in how fast/slow it is - there is debug logging with timings available. On around 1.5k songs it seems fine, but many more may make it a bit on the slow side.

If this works out well, I think we can remove the filtering as this does a better job. Ofcourse, it still needs adding to the video library, but I won't do that until I've got some decent feedback from users with larger music libraries.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Long time reader, first time posting.

The Video Library is brilliant, the scrapers work great and in general its a fantastic concept.

I wonder, would it be possible to scan in all episodes of a tv show rather then just the episodes that exist and to somehow mark the ones that the scrapers have found. This way, we could tell which eps we are missing or look at a synopsis for an upcoming episode?

Is this a logical step forward?

Chod.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Library Improvements0