[APPLE TV 4] pre-alpha builds INSTALLATION
THIS WILL NEVER RUN ON ANY OLDER APPLE TV. APPLE TV 4 ONLY.
Now that that’s out of the way...

I will write more in depth instructions later, but as of right now here’s a link to the awesome iOS App Signer tool written by DanTheMan827:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=245978

And a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFFXtGv4azw

Post here if you have installation questions/comments/concerns!

All off topic posts will be deleted, including stuff relating to addons. You've been warned.

If you need help, join #kodi-ios on freenode.
Apologies if Im not supposed to ask this question here but with regards to updating to the newest file 1230. Do i just follow the same procedure as the original install? Will it just install the latest build but not overwrite my library and settings etc?
Running Krypton beta3 on ATV4 networked to Win7 PC using SMB shares.
Yup, install as normal, your settings should stay.
(2016-01-01, 09:43)keith Wrote: Yup, install as normal, your settings should stay.

Thanks Keith
Photo 
I'm having problems trying to update to the latest version. Xcode just adds it as a new file and I have 2 versions of Kodi on the ATV4. I tried renaming the deb file, the IPA file and the bundle identifier name but nothing seemed to work.

The first version of Kodi was called com.atv4.kodi.Apple-TV and the new file was named com.atv4.kodi.Apple-TV-com.atv4.kodi.Apple-TV so not sure where Im going wrong there.

EDIT: After some playing around I managed to get it to install over the top of the first install with the exact same file name. I was creating a new project in Xcode instead of opening an existing project and going from there. All is good, happy the play pause button now works. Often I would go to click the track pad to pause and would scrub forward accidentally and then have to go back again which was a PITA.

Cheers.
First of all happy new year to all the members, and the entire team behind KODI for their continued efforts towards KODI!!!
Wink

Now on to the question:
Since i moved away from apple products a few year ago, i'm now thinking of getting an ATV 4 for my parents (just for KODI Big Grin

But can tell me where (as an app) you would rate KODI?
Of it an official app?
Is it more side loading grey area?
or
is it more of a hack (like back in the day with ATV2?

The reason i'm asking is that i'm never going to hack/ mod a device again (if it's for gifting it to someone else)
SO if this official, meaning it will probably continue to work with +80% certainty

while if it's in the same boat as with ATV2, apple can patch, change things,
and if my parents update the unit, the entire KODI mod might be destroyed ...(so i would look for different hardware to run it on)

thanks for any assistance !
Im a novice so will answer your questions in laymen terms from just a users perspective and Im sure some experts will chip in and offer more information.

As an app I would rate Kodi very high. It works and it works well and Ive been using it on everything from an xbox to 2 raspberry pis, an ATV2 and now the ATV4.

Its not an official app but you can get an official app called MrMC although its been stripped down considerably to be allowed on the app store. No add ons work. (You can't get it from the AUS app store if your in Oz BTW)
its not a hack, its side loaded just like if you were side loading your own app. You just have to sign the deb file, (follow the instructions.)

Apple may change things in the future and it won't work, but I doubt it. I added Kodi then updated my ATV4 and Kodi still worked fine after the update.
(2016-01-01, 10:57)mysteryliner Wrote: First of all happy new year to all the members, and the entire team behind KODI for their continued efforts towards KODI!!!
Wink

Now on to the question:
Since i moved away from apple products a few year ago, i'm now thinking of getting an ATV 4 for my parents (just for KODI Big Grin

But can tell me where (as an app) you would rate KODI?
Of it an official app?
Is it more side loading grey area?
or
is it more of a hack (like back in the day with ATV2?

The reason i'm asking is that i'm never going to hack/ mod a device again (if it's for gifting it to someone else)
SO if this official, meaning it will probably continue to work with +80% certainty

while if it's in the same boat as with ATV2, apple can patch, change things,
and if my parents update the unit, the entire KODI mod might be destroyed ...(so i would look for different hardware to run it on)

thanks for any assistance !

I think for gifting a FireTv would be a better bet. Run Kodi very well, can pass-thru HD audio, has Netflix and Amazon Prime and is consumer friendly.
Everyone is correct but I'd like to suggest the Nexus Player and Nvidia Shield since Kodi is in the Google play store.
Does anyone know a way to not having kodi get deleted by accident on the ATV4? I know iphone/ipad has a restrictions under settings called "deleting apps" which upon toggling, apps wont be deleted by accident? I hate to have someone delete the app by accident and losing all the installations and settings unlike ATV2 which even deletion of Kodi, the userdata and other folders remain forever and ever.
Not sure, honestly. Maybe MrMC can comment on that one, since it 'suffers' the same problem.
no known way to 'lock' a tvOS app and prevent it from being installed. So be careful Smile

ATV2 install requires a jailbreak and that means busting out of sandbox. So it can write settings anywhere. ATV4 has sandbox restrictions so no joy there.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-01-02, 07:14)hulkster Wrote: Does anyone know a way to not having kodi get deleted by accident on the ATV4? I know iphone/ipad has a restrictions under settings called "deleting apps" which upon toggling, apps wont be deleted by accident? I hate to have someone delete the app by accident and losing all the installations and settings unlike ATV2 which even deletion of Kodi, the userdata and other folders remain forever and ever.

You should try the backup add-on. I "accidentally" deleted the app myself yesterday and found out the hard way that everything gets deleted.
It doesn't prevent the app from getting deleted, but at least you have a backup of all your settings, databases and so on.
(2015-12-30, 13:42)keith Wrote: THIS WILL NEVER RUN ON ANY OLDER APPLE TV. APPLE TV 4 ONLY.

I will write more in depth instructions later, but as of right now here’s a link to the awesome iOS App Signer tool written by DanTheMan827:

And a video:

All off topic posts will be deleted, including stuff relating to addons. You've been warned.

Hi,
I'm trying to install kodi on my Apple TV 4, but I'm unable to download the kodi.dev from the location mentioned in all of the tutorials. All of the link on mirrors.kodi.tv seem to be broken...
Please help

Alex
(2016-01-29, 03:33)AlBaron Wrote:
(2015-12-30, 13:42)keith Wrote: THIS WILL NEVER RUN ON ANY OLDER APPLE TV. APPLE TV 4 ONLY.

And a video:

Hi,
I'm trying to install kodi on my Apple TV 4, but I'm unable to download the kodi.dev from the location mentioned in all of the tutorials. All of the link on mirrors.kodi.tv seem to be broken...
Please help

Alex

Just about every tutorial I've seen references old versions of both Kodi and iOS App Signer

The latest builds of Kodi for tvOS are currently here

iOS App Signer is here
Install Kodi on iOS without a jailbreak: iOS App Signer — donations are gratefully accepted

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV 4] pre-alpha builds INSTALLATION1