• 56(current)
[APPLE TV 4] pre-alpha builds CORE TESTING
(2019-02-03, 21:26)wouter1971 Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 17:13)Steverae Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 15:21)wouter1971 Wrote: MrMC is also based on Kodi, maybe it’s related. Hope for a Kodi tvOS update but have to wait. I believe there is no developer working on it.

All the work on krypton was done by a dev named Memphiz who took the code base of MrMC and re-engineered it.

All indications are that Leia is a complete rewrite of the code base and as such would mean a complete rebuild.

Their are many posts from Memphiz himself on why this is going to be so complex. We don’t have native suppprt for TVoS as the platform is not deemed to have a high enough user base to warrant the work involved to complete this work.

With Apple limiting their free dev accounts to 1 week, this means either you have to pay £79 per year for a dev account to sign the code for kodi which in turn limits the user base.

These are my opinions based on the many posts on this subject, I would love nothing better than to have a new version of kodi for TVOS which could take advantage of the advanced features of this platform, however unless someone like Memphiz takes up the challenge and MrMC release a v18 version to use as a starting point, we are pretty much stuck with Krypton, which tbf works pretty well all things considered.

That would indeed be great. I myself had to register for 15 euros to a shared developer account for a year. So a good deal. I agree 17.6 works great but some glitches are found like an extra freezing 2 seconds on pvr channel switching when resolution switching is turned on. Also some minor issues not detecting HDR on certain videos.

All is playing fine on MrMC by the way. So both keeping me happy.

Never had such a good mediaplayer experience (with non 4K raspberry pi’s) so the best Mediaplayer for now in this AppleTV. Stunning Hires screensavers also on this great device.

I completely agree that AppleTV is by far the best media experience in my opinion, Kodi works great and I hope that one day we’ll get an update to leia - id love to be able to do the whole retro gaming experience [emoji9]
Can we have an answer? I m planning to buy an Apple TV 4K and I would like to know if we are going to have Leila support soon or never
Thanks
An answer for what? Someone, with proper knowledge and some time need to port latest build to tvos with levering work already done for 17.6. For now that didn't happened. I've tried but my knowledge is to low.
(2019-02-17, 08:56)sasagr Wrote: Can we have an answer? I m planning to buy an Apple TV 4K and I would like to know if we are going to have Leila support soon or never
Thanks

Wow, that’s a very sweeping question.... I think this has been answered several times in the previous posts, both by myself and others but I’ll reiterate the steps in getting a Kodi onto ATV so it’s completely clear.....

1) You need a dev certificate to sign the app costing £79 per year - certain websites do offer this for cheaper but are being targeting by Apple and having their certs revoked. Apple originally gave out free dev accounts with certs that lasted a month (if my memory serves me correctly) so resigning the app with a free dev account 12 times a year wasn’t a big deal. This was dropped to 7 days which became a right pain hence having to buy a yearly dev account for £79, something that would certainly put a lot of people off.

2) we need a codebase of Kodi 18.0 to decompile and rebuild for tvOS - their are huge differences between 17.6 and 18 so a complete rewrite is most certainly needed

3) we need a developer with the skills and time to perform this rewrite, we’ve been very lucky that we had Memphiz on this for 17.6

4) MrMC is a build of Kodi available on the App Store, unless you want to access illegal plugins etc, this works fine and has a team of developers constantly working on it

5) Kodi will never ever be allowed on the AppStore owing to its ability to add additional features (plugins) which is against AppStore rules.

6) Their are now many other apps available that can provide an excellent experience for viewing your personal library of content. Infuse & plex are some examples to name but a few.

For the record, I’ve had a developer account with Apple since 2015 and have used kodi on my ATV as my main media player since that time, so I would love nothing better than to have kodi 18 available but tbf over the years I’ve found that I’ve used it less and less and now don’t miss it at all.

Once again these are just my thoughts from following this thread for years and not understanding why people still ask “when are we getting kodi 18 for ATV”

Please don’t let this put you off buying an ATV 4K as they are by far the best of the best streaming boxes out there, plus the larger the user base, the more chance that development of future versions of kodi will start [emoji3]

Rant over
I m very sorry that you guys get irritated for a legit question. Kodi team announced Leila final release and with it, improvements for tvOS. So I guess that means there is firm interest to proceed with this. Now since Leila is available for all the OS including iOS it comes natural to ask the question that is addressed to the developers, not to thread followers. Now said that, let’s leave in peace and wait. Maybe we will get lucky and kodi team will be more clear and eventually rectify their statement regarding their announcement about Leila and tvOS.
Is there anybody that can share the experience with 4K video playback with current available 17.6 and the ATV4K?
I have 4th Gen and 4k. Kodi 17.6 works correctly on both. I have paid for annual apple dev certificate even.
(2019-02-17, 21:57)pogar Wrote: I have 4th Gen and 4k. Kodi 17.6 works correctly on both. I have paid for annual apple dev certificate even.

Can you tell me if the 4K can play 4K 265 video smoothly with a 4K UHD TV?
That news announcement was a copy & Paste error from long time ago. There is no official tvOS support and it is not planned by me.

Also there will be no Kodi Leila for any platform. But it is a nice song from Eric Clapton.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thanks a lot for your answer. You were missed Smile
Thanks anyway for your support in these years not only in iOS but also in tvOS.
I hope, if not you, that somebody else will continue the develop of kodi for tvOS because I believe Apple TV h/w is a great place for kodi, as it has been always since Apple TV 1.
(2019-02-17, 23:04)sasagr Wrote: Can you tell me if the 4K can play 4K 265 video smoothly with a 4K UHD TV?

Repro steps please. I use Kodi only to watch shows which are not available in my country so I haven't watched anything in 4k from Kodi (only from Netflix and Primevideo)
(2019-02-17, 23:04)sasagr Wrote: Can you tell me if the 4K can play 4K 265 video smoothly with a 4K UHD TV? 
 Hi guys,

With the release kodi-20180227-4a25e62-yab-tvos.deb everything works perfectly, both the H.265 and the HDR recognition

Video's are played smoothly and displayed with the full color depth.
AppleTV 4K Release 17.2 with Kodi 17.6  & Kodi 20.2.0
QNAP NAS TVS-872XT - Build 5.1.2.2533
Agree, but i also found out that the Appstore app MrMC (Kodi fork) is even better at playback. You can throw anything against it and it just works. 4K, 4K HDR, h265 anything.
is it possible to set the kodi virtual keyboard instead of the default apple tv one?

ps: by the way any news on the Leila support?
i use since years kodi-20171024-b184048-yab-tvos.

For me it is the Perfect build, i only need FullHD and this version supports AppleTV Top Shelf, runs under IOS13, and every movie or series i ever watch runs without issues, 
so why update kodi ?

Sine very long newer TVOS versions do not support KODI direct audio output, so no DTS, but i really do not miss it, DTS is converted to AC-3.

Sound good enough for me, or is there a difference in sound quality ? Is the a 100% same quality conversion in other format or not ?
  • 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[APPLE TV 4] pre-alpha builds CORE TESTING7