The Apple TV has already been hacked. Is this the end for XBMC on the Xbox?
If Xbox could be ported to Linux, wouldn't that open the option for it to run on both PC hardware and on a PS3? The PS3's video is related to the Geforce 7800, so the graphics stuff seems like it would be possible. Linux would also eliminate the Microsoft tax for Windows on the PC, which would keep the price of a finished system low. It's probably a lot more work, but it makes a lot of sense.

One thing wrong with your argument is the negative on the PC ("Lacks the Living room ports right now"). Not entirely true, since there are a ton of affordable PC's made for set-top use that include composite/component/D-sub/HDMI/optical connections. Not saying the PC is definitely the way to go, but lack of connections is definitely not a reason for excluding it. Now supporting all of those ports via Linux is another issue altogether.

I think it's fair to assume that most of us use the Xbox not only for XBMC (videos/music), but also for actual Xbox games as well as emulators. In my view, the next platform should be similar... something that can play media and games, which excludes dedicated set-top devices like AppleTV. It includes the PS3, Xbox360, and PC.

Prices will come down eventually on everything, so I don't think a console should be excluded right now for high price. I like the wait-and-see method. Smile
i started a new thread last night about why not just get it done and port to the pc, of course ill get flames and hate mail but honestly we are running out of choices and if we continue to "just" stay with the xbox and not move foward to newer hardware, the software will die eventually.

hoping that the 360, or ps3 gets hacked or using the ps3's linux distro (im not sure how much you can hack on the video processor and and the lack of ram avail to you) might cause issues.

I for one would buy a mac min which has a super small foot print, dvi out, optical out, dvd drive and install windows on it. This of course would be if their was a pc port..

anyhow its mute point, the developers don't want to see outside the box and are really personally and emotionally attached to their baby (which I completely understand) this could be the downfall of a great product though.
-------------
I Bare It All -Personal Blog
My god! Every thread i've looked at its you moaning about XBMC not being ported. XBMC is XBOX software... end of.

As for ports if you think that XBOX is at the end of its shelf life then whack a GPU assisted decoding patch together for us all to enjoy then by some miracle the 1000's of current users of only half i would say own hd capable equipment could enjoy XBMC even longer than your estimated best before date.
Gateway69:

What the developers don't want to do is to port it to pc. They are open minded in porting it to xbox360 for instance, if in the future it becames feasible.
One of the great things of a console is the time it takes to boot, and to shut down. You can't have that with windows can't you! It's one of the things that is great on consoles, and that is great with XBMC. You turn the xbox on, and you insta-have a beautiful dashboard will all the stuff running fast a readly available.

Some time ago a few developers from XBMC forked the project and went to develop it to the pc. It's name is mediaportal.. you can try it, or ask them to develop better features for it. The actual developers don't want to do it, and I actually think it is a wise decision. Much better to wait for another platform to port it to, or keep trying on this one ( some work is being done. you won't get 1080p/i but you may just be able to get 720p ).
Geesss I had no idea that the GPU is not even in the equasion... Huh I knew it was more powerfull than the CPU... It could really change XBMC if the CPU was untilized. Cool
geeba, search for GPU in this forum and you'll see lots of posts about it
The thing I like about XBMC is that is runs on a box that can be bought new these days for £50...and it runs *better* than if it was factory-fitted software. No DRM, no lock-ins, no commercial crap bugging you. I've been using XBMC since last August and it's totally changed my family's TV watching habits. Forget about porting, just keep it as good as it is.

When Apple bring out a machine thaty costs £50 and can do everything XBMC can do, then maybe I'll show an interest. At the moment though, I can't even think of anything that Apple TV can do that Xbox can't.
spiff Wrote:this is personal opinions, not team opinions.

i want one, stable hw. i want it to be somewhat future proof, i.e. porting to a hardly-720p-capable device now is not an option imo.

preferably x86 as that would ease things. and, while not something i say often, probably it would be best if it was nt based as that would make the porting effort much less.

why not get the team together and put together rigorous specifications for such a device.
it could be built by end users, or mass produced like that open gaming portable (forgot the name).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Apple TV has already been hacked. Is this the end for XBMC on the Xbox?1