• 2(current)
[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer
I was afraid of that :(
(2015-12-30, 23:13)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-12-30, 23:12)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-12-30, 22:05)Koying Wrote: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8629

I would suggest a compromise of merging it only for an Android/Jarvis specific release, like what was done for iOS in the past, but the real issue here is much deeper. Plus, such a compromise would probably be rejected.

which i proposed and was simply shot down cause it was not in their vision

That's just stupid. Sounds like angry children.
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
(2015-12-30, 20:46)Koying Wrote: BTW, this has been rejected for Jarvis.
Some Kodi people have a hard time accepting that an Android box might be better than their obscure Linux NUC's or whatever, apparently, and do what I consider obstruction.

Being sick of those games, I resigned as Android/AML maintainer for Kodi.

SPMC will relive, apparently...

I only bought the Nvidia shield to use as a Kodi machine. I kept it in storage for about a month because it didn't have lossless pass through. I only got it setup because I saw this thread. I cannot tell you how grateful I am for all of your hard work and due to that I even made a donation.

I am just as outraged as the other people on here about how you have apparently been treated and as many have already said, I would like to make my objections clear to the appropriate people.

I hope that you are able to resolve your differences because you are clearly dedicated to what you're doing and you will clearly be a great loss.
Their decision is just stupid seen as all of their Sponsors are Android manufacturers.
Kodi has also been downloaded over a millions times through the Google Play Store alone since it was released on there - not including prior downloads or side loads...

Sad day for Kodi to reject Android's development and improvement, even if it is just a quick fix...

I've had 3 Minix Android boxes which I use only for Kodi.
(2015-12-30, 23:11)danjames92 Wrote:
(2015-12-30, 22:39)Koying Wrote:
(2015-12-30, 22:29)Evanesco Wrote: WT biiiib ? So all this testing has been for nothing? So it won't even make it in 17?

It already is in 17, in basically the state of the first test apk.
No hard work for my successor to backport the fixes done in this thread to 17.

I wouldn't give up with it yet but who am I to tell you what to do. I wish you wouldn't, we need more android devs, not less. Please sleep on it. Sad I can tell you there are 21 pages of happy people in this thread because of your hardwork Koying. I will continue to use the latest build as it's working great!

When you say SPMC will live, do you intend to bring the fixes from these tests to SPMC? If it looks like Kodi and runs like Kodi does with these builds, I'm down!

I agree completely.
What IS their vision? Who is Kodi aimed at? The PC users? I'm sure there are thousands of them but I can see that, as a home theatre tool, this will surely decrease. As a market share, Android will be the major player, won't it? Or am I missing something?
(2015-12-30, 21:49)Top-Hardy Wrote:
(2015-12-30, 21:38)Dark_Slayer Wrote: Can you post the PR link?

Sometimes they take a while
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/3590

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5487

whats the PR-Link ?

Pull-request link. I like reading the discussions there even though I have not and likely will not make any meaningful contributions code wise to Kodi. The two that I posted were kind of a tongue in cheek reminder to any of those who went full-steam ahead into PVR when Frodo was released. Several devs who were integrating their backends into Kodi were left scratching their head as to why changing channels was agonizingly slow upon first release. Two years later the demuxer changes first introduced by margro from mediaportal were cleaned up and accepted (grudgingly?) into master

(2015-12-30, 22:05)Koying Wrote: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8629

I've kind of always seen, just looking at commit stats, that a small number of folks contribute a lot to the project. It's always been interesting with you on board since you are one of the big contributors, but you are much less behind the scenes than the others. Judging by what you accomplish, I'm guessing you may be retired? No matter whatever allows you to have the time to contribute so much, a large group of us will indeed follow your work with android for as long as you continue to publicize it (even if closed / for profit). All that being said it will be tough to see you go if that is what you ultimately decide. It was nice following your no-nonsense, non-cryptic comments that cast away a lot of the skull and crossbones feel that Kodi had for us non-dev mouth-breathers. Helped me understand a heck of a lot more, perhaps because you had the time to explain but I think more because you have the patience to educate. Hope this all works out, but I'll follow your github wherever that leads
(2015-12-30, 23:29)chocco Wrote: What IS their vision? Who is Kodi aimed at? The PC users? I'm sure there are thousands of them but I can see that, as a home theatre tool, this will surely decrease. As a market share, Android will be the major player, won't it? Or am I missing something?

You would've thought arguably the cheapest platform, (Android) would be a big priority in terms of fulfilling feature checklists but it seems not. I guess we'll have to see what happens with 17 / SPMC. Keeping that 29th passthrough build on 2 separate drives as I'm not losing that anytime soon!
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
Actually, you're right. I shouldn't really be getting outraged because Koying has already given me the perfect build for my purposes. There's zero chance of me "upgrading" to a Final Jarvis build that takes away HD passthrough. I can't thank you enough Koying for this excellent build. Please keep people informed of where you're developing next!
(2015-12-31, 00:08)chocco Wrote: Actually, you're right. I shouldn't really be getting outraged because Koying has already given me the perfect build for my purposes. There's zero chance of me "upgrading" to a Final Jarvis build that takes away HD passthrough. I can't thank you enough Koying for this excellent build. Please keep people informed of where you're developing next!

I agree. I think it will speak volumes when SHIELD TV users want to use a experimental beta version of Jarvis over the final product. Who knows really, just one man's opinion.
(2015-12-31, 00:29)Top-Hardy Wrote: nobody got an idea ?
i now tested a movie with dts sound with the google player on the shield and it worked perfectly ... so i only have this "Crash" problem with Kodi ...Huh

Well, unless you haven't noticed other things are going on right now.

But nobody is going to be able to help without at least a Debug log (wiki).
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
it is very sad for me... I used SPMC for long time on crapy devices like Minix X5 ... one year on Openhour chameleon... yesturday finally arrived home Nvidia Shield TV and too bad news for me and us...

unfortunately for wrong vision is Android TV true future .... easy to use, small, cheap, low electricity consumption and quiet device... who want some pc in living roomHuh!!! who want build it/maintain it?
(2015-12-30, 20:46)Koying Wrote: BTW, this has been rejected for Jarvis.
Some Kodi people have a hard time accepting that an Android box might be better than their obscure Linux NUC's or whatever, apparently, and do what I consider obstruction.

Being sick of those games, I resigned as Android/AML maintainer for Kodi.

SPMC will relive, apparently...

I honestly can't believe how dumb rejecting this is. Android is by far the best platform right now because we can easily include all apps like netflix and emulation cheaply and easily. I have a nuc and chromebox and enjoy my shield and nexus player more. refusing to compromise just makes no sense.

Oh well, thank you Koying for fixing so much in Android. we have VC1 playback and passthrough now.
Signed up here just to say THANK YOU to koying for doing this and say that as a dev lead for a large product, I understand needing to maintain quality control and making sure all changes are correct for the platform, but this really sounds like there is some political infighting or maybe just plain stubbornness going on.

I encourage koying to ask the "correct" question of the the controlling devs... "How do you propose i fix/rework this to make it acceptable to the product?"

If the answer is that they just don't want this feature or are unwilling to work with you to get it into the product, then I would suggest taking your talents to a project that has more respect for the people giving their time for free to improve their product.

The thought that android is not something they care about seems very strange, but often Windows/Linux programmers are afraid of and therefore dismiss mobile/RISC platforms because they don't know how to do it themselves.

As has been stated here. We have a working version that I will continue to use until someone comes up with something better and if that's you moving to SPMC then so be it.

Hopefully you can work this out

THANKS AGAIN.
To Team Kodi. What is going on regarding surround sound on Android TV? Are you going Trick or Treating? What is this?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[split] /me resigning as Android maintainer3