• 146(current)
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi
If it takes 20 seconds to load your movies in Kodi, it will take the same in the skill. Hosting the skill yourself won't solve this.

It shouldn't take this long, though. You're probably hitting the issue with MySQL that is mentioned in the README. MariaDB is much faster for me.

Even with MariaDB, the FireTV isn't the quickest. After you fix your issue with MySQL, if it's still slower than you like, consider setting up caching in the skill.

Try those suggestions before moving on to hosting it yourself.
jingai,
The skill was working fine for about a week now the last week or so everytime I try to use it I'm getting the response from Alexa that "The skill is taking too long to respond". Do you have any idea which part of the skill setup this might be related to?
Cheers
I used to get that when using heroku version but it still played. It is because heroku sleeps after 30 minutes of inactivity. All other uses after (unless it slept again) worked without the error message.
Using kaffeine solved this issue as it sends a ping to heroku after 30 minutes to keep it from sleeping.
Hello All,
     I have a Kodi installed on a Pi which is hooked into my home theater system. I also have an Harmony setup that I use to control everything and recently bought a echo dot. I used the following two guides to add the kodi skill for echo using the AWS option.

https://github.com/m0ngr31/kodi-alexa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KSlz_lT1k4
and got the skill to work but strangely it only works for TV Shows.

For ex: if I say "Alexa ask kodi to play the latest episode of The Big Bang Theory" its works perfectly.
if I say "Alexa ask kodi to update library" it works perfectly.

But if I say " Alexa ask kodi to play a random movie" I get an response back "The is problem with the requested skills response".  

When I look in the Alexa app on iOS the following messsage

Skill Response was marked a failure
Request identifier: amzn1.echo.........
The target lambda application returned a failure response.

Can someone please help me with this? If any logs/screenshots or any other information is needed please let me know and I can post the same.

Thanks,
HI.
Have you added the movie you are searching for to your kodi library?
Can't find what's not there.
ah!! Thank you!! You just helped me solve the issue. My issue was the skill was not playing any movies period...
I was trying both options
"Alexa ask Kodi to play a random movie"
"Alexa ask Kodi to play the movie Blade Runner".... The issue here was the movie name is Blade Runner 2049 while I only was saying Blade Runner.
After reading your reply I tried again with a different movie name and it started playing. Miraculously the skill now also plays any random movie. Not sure what happened exactly there but am glad its working.

Thanks again for the reply back.

One follow-up question...
If I add new movies to my library do I have update it in the Movies Slot on the Amazon developer site? 

Thanks,
HI.
No just say "alexa ask kodi to update library" when it's done "alexa ask kodi to play <new movie name>"
perfect! Thanks once again.
I apologize if this question has been asked or this issue is in here. I searched as much as I could. As far as I can tell, I've installed from the instructions in the Readme.md. Everything has been installed in the command prompt and I believe I have the AWS and Amazon Developer set up properly. When I go to ask Kodi to open a movie or music it doesn't seem to be connecting. I'll post the response I get from the "Service Response" in the Developer testing. I have the skill enabled on my echo, but I'm also having no luck in actually getting the echo to do anything. The echo says essentially the same thing as the Service Response.

{
  "version": "1.0",
  "response": {
    "outputSpeech": {
      "text": "Could not find all the connection information I need. Please check your kodi.config file",
      "type": "PlainText"
    },
    "card": {
      "content": "Could not find all the connection information I need. Please check your kodi.config file",
      "title": "Invalid configuration"
    },
    "speechletResponse": {
      "outputSpeech": {
        "text": "Could not find all the connection information I need. Please check your kodi.config file"
      },
      "card": {
        "content": "Could not find all the connection information I need. Please check your kodi.config file",
        "title": "Invalid configuration"
      },
      "shouldEndSession": true
    }
  },
  "sessionAttributes": {}
}

I appreciate the time put in to troubleshooting and developing this. Thanks for you help.
It is giving you a bit of a clue, have you checked your Kodi.config file?
Android path: Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/kodi.config

Chances are if an issue in kodi.config it's either you don't have your movies, music, TV setup in the kodi library or you don't have kodi http setup and accessible through the firewall/router
First off, great work with this, got this running in a couple of hours, great instructions.

I am unable to find the utterance to open / navigate to a specific tv show.

ask kodi to open top gear  -> want it to open the top gear tv show and list all the seaons
ask kodi to open top gear season three -> want it to open the top gear tv show and list all the episodes for season three

before i start mucking about to add this functions wanted to see if this already exists. if so what I am I doing wrong?
(2018-01-25, 20:19)vajonam Wrote: First off, great work with this, got this running in a couple of hours, great instructions.

I am unable to find the utterance to open / navigate to a specific tv show.

ask kodi to open top gear  -> want it to open the top gear tv show and list all the seaons
ask kodi to open top gear season three -> want it to open the top gear tv show and list all the episodes for season three

before i start mucking about to add this functions wanted to see if this already exists. if so what I am I doing wrong?
 No, this isn't possible at the moment.  It would involve a lookup/match (to find the show you're asking about), which is doable.  But, I don't think there is a JSON-RPC method to open a specific show/season in the GUI.  I could be wrong, though -- I just don't have time at the moment to look.
Well the Global Search Addon is able to Search and Open a specific TV Show no problem.

For example. with your skills code.

Ask Kodi to Search for Top Gear,
Ask Kodi to Select works

Also I know that 

videodb://tvshows/titles/2/

if you Navigate to (2) in my case is top gear. it will open the correct screen. I will try and work this out and send a PR. I do have some questions about the skills code? what is the forum to ask some questions so I am quickly understand the alexa skill code.
Slack would be best. I'm not available this weekend but m0ngr31 is usually there too.
  • 146(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi15