• 1(current)
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi
Tutorial about how to setup everything: https://lexigr.am

Most everything you can do with a remote or keyboard is supported in the skill, and more:
  • Basic navigation (Up/Down, Left/Right, Page Up/Down, Select, Back, Menu, Zoom, Rotate, Move)
  • Open library views (Movies, Shows, Music, Artists, Albums, Music Videos, Playlists)
  • Open library views by genre (Movies, Shows, Music, Music Videos)
  • Open recently added playlists (Movies, Episodes, Albums, Music Videos)
  • Playback control (Play/Pause, Skip, Previous, Stop, Step/Jump)
  • Adjust volume
  • Shuffle all music by an artist
  • Play/Shuffle specific album
  • Play/Shuffle the latest album by an artist
  • Play a specific song
  • Play/Shuffle audio and video playlists
  • "Party mode" for music (shuffle all)
  • Play/Shuffle music videos
  • Play/Shuffle music videos from a specific genre
  • Play/Shuffle music videos by a specific artist
  • Shuffle all episodes of a TV show
  • Play random TV show
  • Play random TV show from a specific genre
  • Play random episode of a specific TV show
  • Play specific episode of a TV show ('Play season 4 episode 10 of The Office')
  • Play random movie
  • Play random movie from a specific genre
  • Play specific movie
  • Play trailer for a movie in your library (requires plugin.video.youtube addon)
  • Play random music video
  • Play random music video from a specific genre
  • Continue watching next episode of last show that was watched
  • Play next episode of a show
  • Play newest episode of a show
  • Recommend media to watch/listen to
  • List/Play recently added media
  • List available albums by an artist
  • Clean/Update video and audio sources
  • "What's playing?" functionality for music, movies, and shows
  • Report time remaining on current media and when it will end
  • Cycle through audio and subtitle streams
  • Search for something in your library (requires script.globalsearch addon)
  • Execute addons
  • Shutdown/reboot/sleep/hibernate system
  • Toggle fullscreen
  • Eject media

Instead of providing the exact verbiage here for each command, we strive to make the experience as natural as we can. Simply try asking for what you want in a way that feels right to you.

Here's some demo videos:

Here's another video since it only let me do 2 in the initial post:
Thanks this is fantastic! One question would this work equally if you have setup a MySQL library on multiple machines?
It should work fine, it'll just talk to whichever Kodi box you have it pointing to.
Thanks, I have been trying for some time to get this to work and have hit a roadblock. The "ask kodi" command works well and echo tells me what commands I are available however as soon as I "ask kodi to play" or any other of the available commands I get "The remote endpoint could not be called, or the response it returned was invalid." Any suggestions you can give me would be most appreciated.
Thanks
Thanks, looks cool!

Below is info on the original code
http://www.makermusings.com/2015/08/22/h...ps-part-2/
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2016-01-09, 05:09)lakram Wrote: Thanks, I have been trying for some time to get this to work and have hit a roadblock. The "ask kodi" command works well and echo tells me what commands I are available however as soon as I "ask kodi to play" or any other of the available commands I get "The remote endpoint could not be called, or the response it returned was invalid." Any suggestions you can give me would be most appreciated.

That sounds like it doesn't like the URL you have setup in your AWS account.
EDIT: It's fixed, thanks

Could you post to pastebin or on your github the full utterances?
It seems like the expander on the makermusings website isn't working.
Thanks a lot! Looking forward to trying this out.

- Brent
HI, this is amazing. I have always been wanting Amazon Echo and Kodi to work togather, someone earlier had posted something, but it was extremely complicated.

Well, your integration is pretty much straightforward and looks like it works.
However i've hit a small snag, I was successfully able to signup with OpenShift, was able to install Ruby using Ruby Installer, successfully installed Git, verified both the ruby and the Git versions, they all look good, but during the final step, of installing Gem i get an error, any idea on how to make this work?
Please see below.

Code:
C:\Windows\system32>rhc setup
C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require': cannot load such file -- dl/import (LoadError)
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/net-ssh-2.9.2/lib/net/ssh/authentication/pageant.rb:1:in `<top (required)>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/2.2.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in `require'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/net-ssh-2.9.2/lib/net/ssh/authentication/agent/socket.rb:5:in `<top (required)>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/net-ssh-2.9.2/lib/net/ssh/authentication/agent.rb:22:in `<top (required)>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/net-ssh-2.9.2/lib/net/ssh/authentication/key_manager.rb:4:in `<top (required)>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/net-ssh-2.9.2/lib/net/ssh/authentication/session.rb:4:in `<top (required)>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/net-ssh-2.9.2/lib/net/ssh.rb:11:in `<top (required)>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/lib/rhc/ssh_helpers.rb:18:in `<top (required)>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/lib/rhc/wizard.rb:77:in `<class:Wizard>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/lib/rhc/wizard.rb:7:in `<module:RHC>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/lib/rhc/wizard.rb:6:in `<top (required)>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/lib/rhc/commands/base.rb:4:in `<top (required)>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/lib/rhc/commands/account.rb:2:in `<module:Commands>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/lib/rhc/commands/account.rb:1:in `<top (required)>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/lib/rhc/commands.rb:189:in `block in load'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/lib/rhc/commands.rb:188:in `each'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/lib/rhc/commands.rb:188:in `load'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/lib/rhc/cli.rb:36:in `start'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/lib/ruby/gems/2.2.0/gems/rhc-1.38.4/bin/rhc:20:in `<top (required)>'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/bin/rhc:23:in `load'
        from C:/Ruby22-x64/bin/rhc:23:in `<main>'
Never mind i was able to resolve this. google took me to a page, where people has similar issues, and it was recommended to use the older version of Ruby with RubyInstaller. After i uninstalled ruby and installed Ruby v1.9.3 the issue was resolved, moving on the next steps now. Will let u know how it goes and where i get stuck. Smile
Hopefully the solution i mentioned above should help someone.
Need a further thrust here guys, i have a few questions.
As per the OP's instruction page, its mentioned..

Quote:Once you have setup an OpenShift account setup, go ahead and install the command line tool (You'll need Ruby installed). From the cli, you'll be able to create a new app that will create a folder with a git repo initialized.

I understand in order to create an app i have to use the command "rhc app create", but a bit more open instruction will help... whats the full command i should use? rhc app create "kodi"? or should i use the ones thats specified in the list
Code:
Short Name           Full name
==========           =========
diy-0.1              Do-It-Yourself 0.1
jbossas-7            JBoss Application Server 7
jboss-dv-6.1.0       JBoss Data Virtualization 6
jbosseap-6           JBoss Enterprise Application Platform 6
jboss-unified-push-1 JBoss Unified Push Server 1.0.0.Beta1
jboss-unified-push-2 JBoss Unified Push Server 1.0.0.Beta2
jenkins-1            Jenkins Server
nodejs-0.10          Node.js 0.10
perl-5.10            Perl 5.10
php-5.3              PHP 5.3
php-5.4              PHP 5.4
zend-6.1             PHP 5.4 with Zend Server 6.1
python-2.6           Python 2.6
python-2.7           Python 2.7
python-3.3           Python 3.3
ruby-1.8             Ruby 1.8
ruby-1.9             Ruby 1.9
ruby-2.0             Ruby 2.0
jbossews-1.0         Tomcat 6 (JBoss EWS 1.0)
jbossews-2.0         Tomcat 7 (JBoss EWS 2.0)
jboss-vertx-2.1      Vert.x 2.1
jboss-wildfly-10     WildFly Application Server 10
jboss-wildfly-8      WildFly Application Server 8.2.1.Final
jboss-wildfly-9      WildFly Application Server 9

Towards the end it mentions...

Code:
Once you have this all setup, you'll need to setup an Amazon developer account and start setting up a new Alexa skill.

In the amazon developers page under Alexa Skill, i've chosen the option to create a new skill, but in the end point URL, which OpenShift url should i provide? You've suggest to use OpenShift, but there isnt much info about how one can go about setting up the application, functions for the echo and kodi on openshift on your instruction page.
I am sorry, i might sound a bit confused, but i am new to the amazon developer thing.. infact its completely new to me. I am just daring to try this out myself, and see if i can add more details here myself to help others.

Can you help
Ok, after spending a few hours on this trial and error, i think i was able to work my self up a few further steps.

The end result if i ask Alexa "Ask Kodi", i get the response "there was a problem with the requested skills response"

When i try to add an utterance to Amazon developer page to test out the Service Response output is..

There was an error calling the remote endpoint, which returned HTTP 403 : Forbidden

Anytips?
(2016-01-11, 20:17)Echellon Wrote: EDIT: It's fixed, thanks

Could you post to pastebin or on your github the full utterances?
It seems like the expander on the makermusings website isn't working.
Thanks a lot! Looking forward to trying this out.

- Brent

I'll be releasing an update today with some cool new features, so I'll create a new fully expanded utterances file for that. I'll post an update in here.

(2016-01-12, 00:26)MANswers Wrote: Never mind i was able to resolve this. google took me to a page, where people has similar issues, and it was recommended to use the older version of Ruby with RubyInstaller. After i uninstalled ruby and installed Ruby v1.9.3 the issue was resolved, moving on the next steps now. Will let u know how it goes and where i get stuck. Smile
Hopefully the solution i mentioned above should help someone.

I'll update the tutorial for this! Thanks

(2016-01-12, 01:53)MANswers Wrote: Need a further thrust here guys, i have a few questions.
As per the OP's instruction page, its mentioned..

Quote:Once you have setup an OpenShift account setup, go ahead and install the command line tool (You'll need Ruby installed). From the cli, you'll be able to create a new app that will create a folder with a git repo initialized.

I understand in order to create an app i have to use the command "rhc app create", but a bit more open instruction will help... whats the full command i should use? rhc app create "kodi"? or should i use the ones thats specified in the list
Code:
Short Name           Full name
==========           =========
diy-0.1              Do-It-Yourself 0.1
jbossas-7            JBoss Application Server 7
jboss-dv-6.1.0       JBoss Data Virtualization 6
jbosseap-6           JBoss Enterprise Application Platform 6
jboss-unified-push-1 JBoss Unified Push Server 1.0.0.Beta1
jboss-unified-push-2 JBoss Unified Push Server 1.0.0.Beta2
jenkins-1            Jenkins Server
nodejs-0.10          Node.js 0.10
perl-5.10            Perl 5.10
php-5.3              PHP 5.3
php-5.4              PHP 5.4
zend-6.1             PHP 5.4 with Zend Server 6.1
python-2.6           Python 2.6
python-2.7           Python 2.7
python-3.3           Python 3.3
ruby-1.8             Ruby 1.8
ruby-1.9             Ruby 1.9
ruby-2.0             Ruby 2.0
jbossews-1.0         Tomcat 6 (JBoss EWS 1.0)
jbossews-2.0         Tomcat 7 (JBoss EWS 2.0)
jboss-vertx-2.1      Vert.x 2.1
jboss-wildfly-10     WildFly Application Server 10
jboss-wildfly-8      WildFly Application Server 8.2.1.Final
jboss-wildfly-9      WildFly Application Server 9

Towards the end it mentions...

Code:
Once you have this all setup, you'll need to setup an Amazon developer account and start setting up a new Alexa skill.

In the amazon developers page under Alexa Skill, i've chosen the option to create a new skill, but in the end point URL, which OpenShift url should i provide? You've suggest to use OpenShift, but there isnt much info about how one can go about setting up the application, functions for the echo and kodi on openshift on your instruction page.
I am sorry, i might sound a bit confused, but i am new to the amazon developer thing.. infact its completely new to me. I am just daring to try this out myself, and see if i can add more details here myself to help others.

Can you help

Okay, creating the app will go something like this:
Code:
rhc app create kodi python-2.7
rhc env set KODI_ADDRESS='kodi.ipaddress' KODI_PORT='8080' KODI_USERNAME='kodi' KODI_PASSWORD='kodi' -a kodi

It should give you the URL of your app after the first command.

(2016-01-12, 07:27)MANswers Wrote: Ok, after spending a few hours on this trial and error, i think i was able to work my self up a few further steps.

The end result if i ask Alexa "Ask Kodi", i get the response "there was a problem with the requested skills response"

When i try to add an utterance to Amazon developer page to test out the Service Response output is..

There was an error calling the remote endpoint, which returned HTTP 403 : Forbidden

Anytips?

That sounds like you have the wrong URL endpoint setup on your Alexa skill. Make sure it matches the one from the commands above.
Okay, I've updated the skill with a few new tricks and updated the README file to hopefully be a little more helpful.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi15