• 121(current)
Release Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi
The red section is from the official guide though Huh
From the beginning, follow the official documentation.

As for how to help you -- I didn't see a question. What exactly is confusing you?
(2017-08-17, 23:55)foreveradevil Wrote: I've finally managed to get time to try this and got all the way to the last part...I'm having trouble running the slot generator or the commmand line to generate the slots. It seems to be connection refused or something to do with the ports..I've turned off my firewall and no change..I am totally stuck. If I open a browser it won't let me connect to my kodi IP address either and says something like 'not accpetint requests from http' etc...

Did you enable the web server in Kodi?
Is there any reason not to run the skill on the same computer as Kodi? I'm just curious...for me this is the most straightforward option and I'm puzzled why it is not even mentioned in the official documentation...
On a related note...where are the instructions for self-hosted installation?
Because it's just a WSGI app hosted over HTTPS. It's not in the documentation because I don't feel like walking people through how to set up their own Web server Wink
Sure, walking through is unnecessary, but pointing to alexa.wsgi or just mentioning WSGI as you just did would would have saved me 30 minutes Smile.

Back to my first question - why do I need hosting at all? Why can't I run it on the same box as Kodi?

Update: other than latency, obviously.
Update2: or maybe there is no added latency...I don't know exactly how Alexa Skills work... I imagine the request go from Alexa servers to the server hosting the skill, but after that...does the response from the skill's server goes back to Alexa or directly to [Kodi server in this case]...
Alexa connects to a Web server hosting the skill and receives JSON in response. The web server can be on any internet-facing machine, provided it is HTTPS and can reach the target Kodi instance.
The request from Alexa first hits the web server running the skill. The skill processes the request and sends any necessary requests to Kodi's Web server. It then sends back JSON to Alexa to indicate status and any spoken response.

With regard to latency, the closer the skill server is to Kodi the better. The traffic between Alexa and the skill server is minimal, but the traffic between the skill server and Kodi can be somewhat substantial depending on the request.
Got a question here: do you need a dynamic ip or static ip address to get kodi working with alexa and how in the heck do get dynu setup if you need it cause its a little pain in the butt.
Please.

Thank You
Steve
Yes, you need a static IP or dynamic DNS. Without it, the skill will be unable to connect to Kodi when your IP changes, until you update it in the skill again.
Thats what i figure, but dyamic DNS is the only one i have not static IP. My Ip doesnt changes.
(2017-08-18, 03:11)jingai Wrote:
(2017-08-17, 23:55)foreveradevil Wrote: I've finally managed to get time to try this and got all the way to the last part...I'm having trouble running the slot generator or the commmand line to generate the slots. It seems to be connection refused or something to do with the ports..I've turned off my firewall and no change..I am totally stuck. If I open a browser it won't let me connect to my kodi IP address either and says something like 'not accpetint requests from http' etc...

Yes I have. Any suggestions?
(2017-08-20, 08:04)foreveradevil Wrote:
(2017-08-18, 03:11)jingai Wrote:

Yes I have. Any suggestions?

Are you specifying the port as well? Kodi's web server runs on a non-standard port, so if you chose the default port, it'd be:

Code:
http://localhost:8080

If you were browsing to it from a web browser on the same machine as Kodi.
New release -- changes:

v2.8.5 (08/20/2017)
  • Add support for playing music videos.

As usual, see UPGRADING.md if you're upgrading from a previous version.
  • 121(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kanzi: Amazon Alexa skill for Kodi15