How is music being handled by Kodi?
I read the wiki section on Audio Engine and numerous threads about sound on this forum but I still can't get my head around how is music being handled by kodi.

I am clear on movies as once pass through is enabled all content is... well, passed through to the AVR and handled by it.

With the music it is not the case. My question actually relates to the fact that whatever format mp3, flac, 24bit/96 flac, you name it, is being played, I can only see the PCM indicator lit on the receiver. Especially with 'hd' music - 24bit flac files, there is no 24bit indicator is lit on the avr.
So how this is being handled? Does kodi recognise the stream, encodes it to pcm and then sends through to the AVR? That would meant that there is no option to 'pass through' the music stream and let avr handle it. I.e. all is software handled by kodi. Is this assumption correct? If so, is there a way to enforce flacs, mp3 ar actually any music to be transferred to avr and encoded over there? So, an option to in fact enabling sort of a pass through for music.
Much obliged for clarificationWink
if you bring up the context menu on a music file (right-click), you can select 'play using > dvd player'
iirc (don't shoot me if i'm wrong) that will allow passthrough for music.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2016-01-02, 14:19)ronie Wrote: if you bring up the context menu on a music file (right-click), you can select 'play using > dvd player'
iirc (don't shoot me if i'm wrong) that will allow passthrough for music.

thanks, and indeed there is a switch but absolutely no change whatsoever regarding indicators on the amp, still only PCM text is on

still, it would be good to get an answer for my other questions regarding how is audio handled by kodi?Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How is music being handled by Kodi?0