• 104(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2019-07-21, 17:39)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks @wrxtasy. I haven't closely followed recent/new AMLogic options since my Tanix TX92 w/CoreELEC (installed to internal, wiping out stock Android) still runs mostly flawlessly.

But, I'm intrigued by S922X-powered ODROID-N2 (or Beelink GT-King), mostly for CE use, but maybe dual-boot w/unofficial Android TV as well. Looking for better/faster performance overall. Not that TX92 is slow, but sometimes I wish it could be a tad faster (library scans, navigation).

Wondering whether S905X3/Y3/D3 would be closer to S912 performance or better? Or, go for  S922X, but worth it for mostly CE use?

Hi mate.

The ARM Mali G31 GPU in the S905X2/3 will have about the same rendering performance for CE Kodi vs the Mali T-820 in the S912.
However with CE and correct Linux ARM Mali GPU drivers this time around, there will no issues with external Subtitles as some saw on the S912 for example.

The faster CPU package in the S905X2/3 will have better Multicore performance vs the previous generation. I would expect (untested) Kodi Leia Netflix to have no issues with 1080p software decoding. The faster, more powerful S922X definitely has no 1080p SW decoding issues.

What also might be slightly quicker is DDR4 RAM and storage performance.

Overall those things might add up to be a wee bit faster for the upcoming S905X3.

CE Kodi Leia feedback with these new gen. devices:

However Multichannel LPCM Audio output from Kodi is not yet support with CE Kodi Leia on these new chipsets vs the previous S9xx chipsets. This may cause issues for those with 7.1 AAC content. Kodi can transcode to 5.1 DD as an easy workaround.
Personally I do not hear any difference for 5.1 AAC content, with Kodi high quality sampling selected.

Also I’m currently having issues, again with 4:2:2 Chroma at greater than 30Hz output with my Yamaha AVR. We saw the same problems, which were fixed with the previous v3.14 Linux Kernel devices. 4K 24p movies are fine.

Install to internal is not yet supported, nor is Android Dual Booting, except on the Odroid N2 that can use Petitboot.

The plug in eMMC modules that the Odroid N2 uses are superior for speedy bootup, scraping and backup purposes.
The S922X Odroid N2 is the most stable of the lot, anything else is really a WIP. The S922X variants have a bit of a faster ARM G52 GPU vs the S912’s.

The S922X / A311D development boards can also boot from USB3 sticks / SSD’s.

These new ARM G series GPU’s have slightly better picture quality. Anti Aliasing (removing jaggies) from picture outputs on cartoons and text from Broadcast TV graphics is great.
We now have full HDR metadata output as well including Max CLL/FALL Infoframe passthru so connected HDR displays can do correct tone mapping.

HDR10+

Google has added support very recently for HDR10+ in Android v10.0 Q.
Currently the Android AML Linux Kernel used on these next gen devices is based on Android v9.0 Pie support.
This means that the CoreELEC v9.0 Pie based Linux Kernel will very likely not yet have HDR10+ support until AMLogic distribute updated Android Q Kernel code.

Buyer beware alert !

The S922X Beelink GT1 King should be avoided at this point in time due to Gigabit Ethernet issues Beelink will need to sort out.

Also some of these new AMLogic chipset Android devices now come with a locked bootloaders and cannot run the LibreELEC or CoreELEC Kodi OS.

Be very careful what you buy if you want to run these Linux OS’s. Consult the LE or CE forums first.

Thanks for the detailed recommendations. Sounds like I can stick with my S912 dedicated CE box for now; the main advantage with Odroid N2 would be Max CLL/Fall. But with projectors and their limitations with 4K, I don’t think I’d see any benefits.
(2019-07-22, 11:23)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-07-21, 17:39)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks @wrxtasy. I haven't closely followed recent/new AMLogic options since my Tanix TX92 w/CoreELEC (installed to internal, wiping out stock Android) still runs mostly flawlessly.

But, I'm intrigued by S922X-powered ODROID-N2 (or Beelink GT-King), mostly for CE use, but maybe dual-boot w/unofficial Android TV as well. Looking for better/faster performance overall. Not that TX92 is slow, but sometimes I wish it could be a tad faster (library scans, navigation).

Wondering whether S905X3/Y3/D3 would be closer to S912 performance or better? Or, go for  S922X, but worth it for mostly CE use?
However with CE and correct Linux ARM Mali GPU drivers this time around, there will no issues with external Subtitles as some saw on the S912 for example.
Hi,
thanks for your answer. Currently I'm using an old software (libreelec 8.xx) for my Amlogic S912 tvbox. Which build of Coreelec do you recommend to have "correct Linux ARM Mali GPU drivers"?
Mac Mini 2009 (Intel Core 2 Duo - nVidia 9400M), Ubuntu Linux 14.04, Kodi 15.1
(2019-08-03, 20:41)el_Salmon Wrote: Hi,
thanks for your answer. Currently I'm using an old software (libreelec 8.xx) for my Amlogic S912 tvbox. Which build of Coreelec do you recommend to have "correct Linux ARM Mali GPU drivers"? 

9.0.3 (latest stable release)
Ordered an Odroid N2 via ameridroid.com to try out; couldn't resist Smile.
Just beware the current 4.9 kernel outputs HDR10+ files as SDR.
(2019-08-04, 05:36)atoulmin Wrote: Just beware the current 4.9 kernel outputs HDR10+ files as SDR.

I’ve seen TV tests with HDR vs HDR10+ Blu-ray content (HDTVtest YouTube) and the conclusion is HDR10+ makes sweet FA difference visually on 4K HDR TV’s that have great dynamic tone mapping.

(2019-08-04, 06:43)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-08-04, 05:36)atoulmin Wrote: Just beware the current 4.9 kernel outputs HDR10+ files as SDR.

I’ve seen TV tests with HDR vs HDR10+ Blu-ray content (HDTVtest YouTube) and the conclusion is HDR10+ makes sweet FA difference visually on 4K HDR TV’s that have great dynamic tone mapping.

Yeah agree, but my point was that some MKV’s are encoded with HDR10+ so if you play them on the N2 at the moment you do not get HDR. There is an issue with the kernel. You only get SDR output.
I have a handful of HDR10+ titles... I assume a kernel fix is in the works by AMLogic?
(2019-08-04, 15:45)hdmkv Wrote: I have a handful of HDR10+ titles... I assume a kernel fix is in the works by AMLogic?

I suspect support will be added when there is a Android TV v10 Q - AML Linux corresponding Kernel released, because Google have added HDR10+ support supposedly to that future Q OS.
HDR10+ support code might actually be missing from the current Android Pie based v4.9 AML Linux Kernel.

Here is the latest Beelink Android box with the new Amlogic S905X3 SoC.  It has Widevine Level 1 and HDCP 2.2.  The strange part, is that it is rooted AND has an UNlocked bootloader.  Let the games begin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy41AZ8Ucx0&t=44s
(2019-08-26, 04:18)clarkss12 Wrote: Here is the latest Beelink Android box with the new Amlogic S905X3 SoC.  It has Widevine Level 1 and HDCP 2.2.  The strange part, is that it is rooted AND has an UNlocked bootloader.  Let the games begin.

The question is with WV L1 and HDCP 2.2 - is does Kodi Leia Netflix Addon work ?

Or are Beelink WV Keys also blacklisted by Netflix servers ?

A lot of potential Beelink owners need to be made aware that Beelink's previous flagship device the GT King has a major problem with it's Gigabit Ethernet due to hardware board design and lack of pre fabrication testing it seems.

So it's buyer beware at the moment with the Beelink brand.

(2019-08-26, 05:35)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-08-26, 04:18)clarkss12 Wrote: Here is the latest Beelink Android box with the new Amlogic S905X3 SoC.  It has Widevine Level 1 and HDCP 2.2.  The strange part, is that it is rooted AND has an UNlocked bootloader.  Let the games begin.

The question is with WV L1 and HDCP 2.2 - is does Kodi Leia Netflix Addon work ?

Or are Beelink WV Keys also blacklisted by Netflix servers ? 
Have not tried it yet..
Hi any news on this?
I would buy an amlogic to run ce but cannot be able to keep a choose Smile
Ugoos are well known brand that seem to have good quality control over the internal components they use in their devices, so hardware is likely to last longer vs generic Chinese Android devices.

The Ugoos X2 Cube with included Gigabit LAN seems good bang for the buck.
That will give you 4K HDR & HD audio , inc lossless Multichannel for a snappy CoreELEC Kodi platform.

Plug n Play these days, the polished, powerful, ODROID N2 - CoreELEC edition works well too. All you really need is 2GB RAM for a snappy CE Kodi. Smile

• 104(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6