Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
I didn't know when the WeTek hub was going to come out so I bought one of the Beelink Mini MX (1GB RAM version) for $32 shipped and put Alex's OpenELEC build 6.95.3.2 on it straight away. It is really quite great and meets my needs perfectly.
  • Refresh rate switching works
  • Passthrough AC3, DTS, DTS-MA, Atmos is perfect
  • VSYNC looks good, no tearing
  • 4K 24FPS plays as easily as 1080p/720p
  • NFS share source with 4K content over gigabit ethernet is quick
  • IR remote works just fine to control, power up, power down.
  • Boots to kodi in something like 10 seconds, UI is as snappy as the dedicated PC it is replacing, even with hundreds of movies in the library.

Bad
  • Wifi 2.4GHz is garbage, 4K content stops and starts constantly, 1080p has occasional stutters
  • No built in bluetooth support, but can add external dongle (I don't use any bluetooth so this is fine)
  • 1080p 3D SBS plays entirely on left side of the screen when output resolution set to 4K, works fine in 1080p output resolution. (I have exactly one 3D movie so this doesn't bother me)

I haven't had any crashes or lockups in the past two weeks and have played a dozen or so movies on it, and a lot of test material. I run the Confluence skin and don't use any addons apart from the media scrapers though. I will probably get the WeTek once it is available now that I have seen how perfect this can be, but an S905 is slated to replace my i3-3225 media PC currently (which couldn't output 4K so bye-bye). Over the 10 years I've used XBMC/Kodi (and even done some development!) this is the first time that I've felt one of these streaming boxes has had the performance I've come to expect from my PC build. I still need to upload a more complete remote definition but that's trivial.

Thanks to everyone involved in the development, hardware and software-wise.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - by 808? - 2016-06-14, 07:02
RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - by CapnBry - 2016-06-27, 16:55
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6