• 23(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2016-07-12, 05:00)CapnBry Wrote:
(2016-07-12, 03:00)dukester Wrote: yes, swap on an USB key didnt do anything for me either, only SDcard works.
I just tried it with a 4GB class 4 microsd, created the swap partition swapon'ed it, and started a 1080p video. Went back and scrolled through my movie list, no problem on Media Info 2 view. Then switched to thumbnail and started scrolling through and after a bit it hitched then froze. My SSH session was still open and I was able to type `free` and the characters echoed back, but when I pressed enter it never came back with the results. The thumbnail images eventually loaded after 20 seconds or so but the movie never continued playing and the UI is locked.

Is it possible to modify or override /etc/amremote/remote.conf? It is on squashfs so the only way I know how to deal with that is extract the filesystem to a USB, edit it, recompress it and reflash the device with the new fs image. I have a Harmony and I'd like to have more buttons like use this remote.conf.

FAKE EDIT: Herp derp just answered my own question. Checked the /usr/lib/systemd/system directory and found amlogic-remotecfg.service, which calls /usr/lib/openelec/remote-config, which checks for a file in /storage/.config/remote.conf first before loading the default.
Code:
wget -O ~/.config/remote.conf https://github.com/zehnm/wetek-core-harmony/raw/master/remote.conf
sync && reboot
Buttons all work great using the "Wetek Play" remote definition in Harmony. Hooray!

Are you still on OE, I suggest switching to LE which is miles better IMO.
Yeah OE has been working OK for me and now that I got my remote all working, I'll probably not invest much more time into it until I am really looking to kill another evening getting it all set up again.

Who is putting out the LibreElec builds? i.e. where can I find them?
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I think it's worth the effort to be on LE, Kszaq build are very good from what I have seen from his s805 thread and has all patches Alex added to OE.Just run on an SD card if you don't want to mess up your setup.

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-524.html
(2016-07-12, 05:21)jebise Wrote: miles better IMO.

lets not get too carried away, if anything imo its miles behind the OE build from Alex, im sure Kzsaqs will be on par or better, but that certainly is not the case currently, 2160p resolution doesn't even work at all yet. Horrible 4K playback, its basically like stepping back and using Alex first OE releases, when the device was still relatively new.

Also, It sure is neat how amlogic reworked their SOC to use a more generic approach, so the same build works on most all s905 devices including the illusive Wetek Hub, and all the 25$ chinese devices. YAY
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
(2016-07-12, 05:35)jebise Wrote: I think it's worth the effort to be on LE, Kszaq build are very good from what I have seen from his s805 thread and has all patches Alex added to OE.Just run on an SD card if you don't want to mess up your setup.

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-524.html
Interesting thanks. I forgot about the fact that I can run from SD, I'll give it a try tonight, thanks for the link!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2016-07-12, 14:20)dukester Wrote:
(2016-07-12, 05:21)jebise Wrote: miles better IMO.

lets not get too carried away, if anything imo its miles behind the OE build from Alex, im sure Kzsaqs will be on par or better, but that certainly is not the case currently, 2160p resolution doesn't even work at all yet. Horrible 4K playback, its basically like stepping back and using Alex first OE releases, when the device was still relatively new.

Also, It sure is neat how amlogic reworked their SOC to use a more generic approach, so the same build works on most all s905 devices including the illusive Wetek Hub, and all the 25$ chinese devices. YAY

All 4k content I've tried ran fine, mind you i don't have a 4k tv.
What are the boxes on Ebay that I found for 15/20$ - Are they the same as the 25$ one on first post?
Where was it available for 26$ ?? Cant find the source for that.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=282785

Cant PM or Reply to Martijn: Dont want piracy boxes, but could we get that Hardware and flash it with clean OE/ LE, then budget price for box is worth no? Is that hardware the same as the box on the post here.

PS:
Hardware is made by some manufacturer
But the KODI + Piracy Addons are added by someone else.

Why blame the cheap hardware DUE TO the Bad software added by some Sellers.

Can we not find these Super budget hardware and leverage it CLEANLY with OE/ LE releases from the Forums.

PPS: At no point am I talking or asking about http://kodi.wiki/view/Banned_add-ons - But about Hardware on which we can add clean Kodi - OE/ LE

As someone posted on a comment to the Kodi blog post. Banning them from forums doesnt do much.

Team Kodi should take pro active steps and make their LEGIT presence visible on the MARKETPLACES that sell these Piracy Boxes - Atlease online.

Announce Free listings for Software and beat the piracy guys by listing Clean Hardware boxes at same/ lower prices.
I am not sure whether this belongs here or in a new thread of its own. I don't have enough to warrant a new thread. Anyways... the last couple of days I have been playing with an Amlogic S905X box - Mini M8S II. There isn't actually much to talk about it right now because Kodi/SPMC barely works on it.

Audio passthrough is a hit or miss. DTS-HD Master Audio/DTS:X passthrough doesn't work at all. Dolby TrueHD/ Dolby Digital Plus passthrough works in the native video player, but not in Kodi or SPMC. Like other Amlogic devices this one also seems to be limited to stereo PCM.

Refresh rate switching doesn't seem to be working in Kodi, SPMC or at system level (HDMI self adaption).

HDR10 works in native movie player, Kodi, SPMC. It works at all 4K refresh rates.

Deep Color works only in 4K. It is for 10-bit Rec. 2020. There is definitely something wrong with the Rec. 2020 output. The colors look way oversaturated.

It doesn't look like it has frame packing 3D output. It seems to be just H-TAB/H-SBS.

There have been two OTA updates so far. Looks like it will become a usable device soon Smile
(2016-07-25, 07:49)wesk05 Wrote: There have been two OTA updates so far. Looks like it will become a usable device soon Smile
By the time "soon" arrives there will be another Android OS update and another (buggy) AMLogic SoC hardware release, and then this one will be dumped like a hot potato.
To accompany that will be another stream of bullshit marketing from clueless sellers !

As an example did you know the S905X SoC runs at 1.5Ghz only. You will see them blatantly advertised as 2Ghz SoC's.

You get what you pay for in the end with Android. Better support would come from Open Source LibreELEC Kodi on these sort of devices.

(2016-07-25, 08:39)wrxtasy Wrote: As an example did you know the S905X SoC runs at 1.5Ghz only. You will see them blatantly advertised as 2Ghz SoC's.

You get what you pay for in the end with Android. Better support would come from Open Source LibreELEC Kodi on these sort of devices.

http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/01/12/a...fications/

While I appreciate the S905 can do 2Ghz, obviously it's well-known that raw CPU speed isn't everything.

What is interesting is that the S905X gets VP9 4kp60 10-bit as well as HDR10, which is "better" than the S905.

I'm curious to know if you (and or LE team) are doing any development work for the S905X?

I was interested in the Wetek Hub for myself, as well as the Mini M8S in page 1 of this thread, the latter as a cheap LE box for a bedroom. I'm now wondering if I should hold off and wait for an LE build on a S905X chipset box?

Can you give any comment?

I only care about these chipsets for an LE installation, all the Android extra stuff doesn't really interest me.
(2016-07-25, 09:57)KoopaTroopa Wrote: What is interesting is that the S905X gets VP9 4kp60 10-bit as well as HDR10, which is "better" than the S905.

All of those shiny specs are pretty pointless if the only player that supports them is the system one, isn't it Wink

On the bright side, the team made it clear they have to go standard (mediacodec et al) forKodi to be useful on they soc in the future, and they got the message...
(2016-07-25, 10:06)Koying Wrote: All of those shiny specs are pretty pointless if the only player that supports them is the system one, isn't it Wink
Yes of course. This is kinda why I was asking if an LE build would eventually support the chipset? I was assuming eventually Kodi would, hence LE would.

(2016-07-25, 10:06)Koying Wrote: On the bright side, the team made it clear they have to go standard (mediacodec et al) forKodi to be useful on they soc in the future, and they got the message...
And this sounds good!

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if they "got the message" and they go standard then Kodi will be able to play back those "pointless" features of the chipset, yes?
Should have pointed out that this only handles the android part of things.
For OE/LE, i.e. pure linux, no clue...
Amlogic S905X can run at 2Ghz. See it (7:32 and 9:06): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olq3_We5tqQ
@wesk05, if Mini M8S II represents the shape of things to come w/S905X, sounds mostly disappointing.

Xiaomi Mi Box w/S905X-H advertises "H.264 MVC, up to 1080P at 60fps", "Supports HDR10/HLG HDR processing (software upgrade required)", and "Dolby Digital Plus and Up to 7.1 pass through" (similar to how nVidia advertised Shield before its release). Should be close as it was spotted on FCC' site. Hopefully this fares better... but, not holding my breath Wink.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
  • 23(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6