Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2016-08-17, 16:38)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-08-17, 16:09)gsmtech Wrote: Yup, Pi's made in Sony's factory in Wales, with some coming from different suppliers in China, I looked at a Rpi 3 for a long while before I purchased my Mini MX, I already own the Rpi1 and 2 , this time I thought lets try something different, the mini mx is way faster when running Kodi on LibreElec than my Rpi2, also seems much faster than a freinds Rpi3 I have had a play wiith.

Rpi 3 + case + power supply + SD card +optional bluetooth remote purely for kodi usage , makes is a more expensive and messier solution than a good android device. The other option a Odroid C2 is hideously expensive for kodi usage once you add all the parts up, over priced EMMC modules for one....on paper it's the exact same spec as a cheap android box S905, 2Gb Ram, on the board...everything else will cost more 16GB EMMC, power supply WiFi, Case, SD Card ...etc....Do the math .. it works out out to 4 times the cost of an Android box wth the same spec, in a neater one box solution. Considering the android boxes can run LibreElec and openelec in dualboot with android...wheres the benefit in building a Odroid C2 in kit form spending 4 x the cash ?
I'm not going to get into an argument that's been done to death so many times here.
I'll just summaize how it goes...

1. Tech specs are a distraction. Firmware / support is what's needed for a good, reliable kodi box.
vs
2. This box has incredible tech specs for the price. And it's really pretty.

I have a mini mxiii. I bought it on a whim, I'm happy with it, I've spent a fair amount of time messing with it to get it how I want.
I'm dependent on 1 or 2 developers to support it with libreelec / openelec.
I wouldn't even compare it to the pi as a kodi player if it's running android.
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty / tinkering.

The pi just works. And if it doesn't it soon will, because of the community behind it.

That I agree with, even if the Pi's I have dont do what I need kodi wise no biggy theres loads of other projects I can repurpose them for. The bit about being reliant on a couple of developers for the China android boxes is also true, at this point the Mini MX i have does everythign I need, it's a bedroom box, I dont need it to do anything more than it currently does so for my purposes it's spot on...It's so cheap that in a years time or less I can lob it in trash if it no longer does the job and buy a new box.

hardware specs + workable good openelec / Libreelec build is what should be considered if your buying a cheap box, as long as end users weigh up the pros / cons and are happy with what theyre getting. Do your own research and make your decsion. Technology moves too fast these days, cheaper devices easily give you the option to simply upgrade as often as you'd like without worrying about cost. Whos's realistically going to keep the same device for 3 years plus ? My RPI 1 is dog slow for anything video related, it's been relegated, my RPI 2 is still in use, but will probbaly soon be releagted.too.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - by 808? - 2016-06-14, 07:02
RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - by gsmtech - 2016-08-17, 16:49
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6