Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2016-08-20, 05:21)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-08-19, 13:55)melhemk Wrote: I have been reading this thread for a while, and honestly all of the experts that I respect and love their posts everywhere are sadly starting to fall into contradictions, and giving gsmtech and others bullets to argue with.
I love WeTek products, and I agree 100% with the pricing in terms of support and firmware, but 2GB tradeoff for a slightly smaller size is just a bad engineering decision. People here are vouching that 1GB (and less) is enough for ELEC, yet discussing the costs of licenses which are for Android, and Android sure as hell could use more RAM, if not for KODI then for other Apps that WeTek is promoting as selling points for this product, that also need more storage..... see, it is a loop, and that is why I am saying that it is a bad engineering decision.

However that doesn't make it "overpriced" or "crap" products, there are no perfect products.

@gsmtech: you are saying a crappy Chinese box is 40$ - 50$ and you would throw it away after a year and get another one since it is not expensive, I think it is better to buy a 100$ WeTek hub that will serve for at least 2 to 3 years.

But seriously, let him enjoy his crappy Chinese products while we enjoy solid ones.

PS: Just wondering how much extra footprint the other RAM chip would need, I do not have a HUB, but can anyone send me the IC number of the RAM and Storage chips please?

I get what you're saying and mostly agree.

The Hub is a single product in what will become (eventually, with the Play2S) a four product lineup. It comes down to "do we think we have enough customers that will be happy with this to justify it being a product", and the answer is yes. There are people who need more RAM, and that's what the other three models have.

I still don't think 1GB of RAM is bad or a mistake. It's not just for LibreELEC/OpenELEC. I do 90% of my testing using Android. Before working at WeTek my main device was a Nexus Player, which also only has 1GB of RAM. I have never had any issue with it, and it's still one of the best Android boxes out there. The Core (2GB) almost never used more than a gig, and when it did it was because of games or me trying to run a minecraft server on it at the same time (again, on Android, and it ran fairly well).

I even increase the thumbnail resolution on the Hub and don't see any memory problems in Kodi. I'm actually making fake video libraries to try and break it by sheer library size, for testing purposes. It's harder than I thought it would be.

There is a difference between bugs or people breaking their own settings (the cache size modification users are typically the issue) vs there being a real issue.

So the previous spiel about the Hub having a compact footprint so only 1GB RAM would fit the board vs 2GB was all BS ?? Hence why the footprint size differences between the 1Gb chip vs the 2Gb chip asked for by the previous poster....havent been provided///

The new explanation makes more sense, theres a product line up, the Hub is the budget offering, they are saying if you want 2Gb RAM you have to buy the non-budget product and pay more cash...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - by 808? - 2016-06-14, 07:02
RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - by gsmtech - 2016-08-21, 21:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6