Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2016-08-24, 09:11)MrBean Wrote: on topic?Big Grin I've used Raspberry PI, but now I want to test a Android box. (My requirements: budget, S905X, dual band wifi)

I found the NEXBOX A95X with Amlogic S905X, bought it yesterday for $41

There are 3 versions of the S905X, so be aware! (A95X is used for many models.) The one with 2GB DDR3 RAM 16GB eMMC ROM has better features like 5G WiFi, Android 6 and Bluetooth 4.0

admin edit: removed links to product, review clearly depicting box loaded with banned addons

I did something similar I already have a Rpi1 , 2 and a Amazon firestick. When I bought my android device it was because I wanted to try something different for a similar price point rather than try the rpi3. My android box is hands down the best of the devices I own and the one I use most. Although saying that my rpi2 is the only device that is left running 24/7 and so far it has been fine. It's not as fast as my android device though especially when running libreelec.

The S905X SOC is fairly newish to market and does not have a lot of support yet. I don't believe it's all that different than a S905 non X either in terms of features, performance. You were better off getting a normal S905 box, these have been on the market for a while now and are supported better as devs have had time to discover and fix bugs etc. S905X supports VP9 hardware decoding and HDR support according to CNX Software website, but the S905X permfromance was actually lower than the normal S905 when benchmarked, this maybe due to unoptimized software thougfh and Android 6 support for the SOC. Android 6 is not very stable on Amlogic deevices from the reviews I've read.

S912 boxes are now coming to market. It's probably better sticking with normal cheap S905 box if you need a box today and wait for the S912 boxes to become more well supported. Not worth buying a S905X unless you have any VP9 or HD content you want to play.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Budget AML S905 Boxes Shootout! - by 808? - 2016-06-14, 07:02
RE: Budget AML S905/S905X/S912 Media Player Options - by gsmtech - 2016-08-24, 10:08
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6