• 58(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2016-12-15, 18:31)gsmtech Wrote:
(2016-12-15, 17:19)winestock Wrote:
(2016-12-15, 11:59)gsmtech Wrote: I havent seen any S905X based devices with Gigabit Ethernet, they all seem to be 100Meg fast ethernet. The S905 based devices have some options....like the MiniMX V1 or the Odroid C2 development board but you will need to spend extra on Odroid to buy all the kit, board, case, EMMC module (if you want it), Micro SD card, power supply (or just use an old mobile phne charger), WiFi USB adaptor, bluetooth adaptor, compatible remote control, HDMI cable etc.... Easier and more convenient as well as cost effective to get a budget china box....no extras needed ready top go out of the box apart from a Micro SD card...

So which of the budget china boxes will have long term community support for Kodi LE? What good is cost effective if it won't have long term support.

I find the nice thing about the Odroid C2 is the eMMC.

Whats so nice about EMMC ?? EMMC is standard on every single cheap china box on the market, you have to pay extra for EMMC on Odroids...it's not even a feature it should eb standard part of the device.... yes the Odroid EMMC will be faster/higher spec than some of the slower EMMC supplien in budget china devices but it is also reflected in the price of the EMMC modules, Odroid have reduced the price of EMMC modules now, but they are still over priced.

Your right, long term support can not be gauranteed on cheap device...but does it reallt matter ? These devices in their current state play every format that their SOC supports and meet the playback needs of a lot of users out there, so , why spend more ...they are so cheap that in a years time you can simply bin the the device...and buy anoother newer more powerful device if you so wish..

The cheap china boxes have fixed eMMC whereas the Odroid can be expanded by simply buying a larger eMMC and plugging it into the back of the board. Who cares about long term community support? Anyone who is having issues with the OS due to bugs that come up.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
(2016-12-15, 20:42)hdmkv Wrote: Thinking of buying a Mini M8S II w/S905X (2GB/8GB) as S905's are hard to find or overpriced. Too bad all/most S905X are 100M LAN as @gsmtech noted.

Re: 23.976 in Krypton builds, any idea when this is expected to be supported? If not for a while, I'm thinking of going back to Jarvis builds on my Beelink MiniMXIII.

I've been running a S905X mini m8s II (2G/16G) for about a week now , I got it on promotion at nearly half the price my Mini MX V1 cost me 6 months ago . It runs really well even the 2.4ghz WiFi hasn't given me issues when I've tested it. I haven't managed to notice any issues with having 100meg Ethernet on the mini m8s II vs 1 gig on my mini mx either..

But I stream almost all my content from the internet so the file types and bitrates are not going to be high enough to saturate the 100 meg Ethernet port on the mini m8s II. So really for my use case I can do without 1gig Ethernet. But it would still be nice to have 1gig for future proof and faster LAN file transfers etc.

I can't really complain though at the price point I paid. It's exceeded my expectations. It boots faster than my mini mx v1 as well. Must be the SD card I'm using or maybe faster flash memory..

I'm running Kszaqs LibreElec latest build off SD Card the 32bit user space version that has the fixes for the memory leak in libre Elec. Memory sits at 10% usage 180 meg out of 2gig. Much better than previous 64 bit builds where memory usage would gradually creep up .
Thanks, ordered 2 for kids and guest rooms. On sale at gearbest.com now (not affiliated w/them). Hope it performs decently well.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2016-12-15, 21:19)hdmkv Wrote: On LibreELEC... w/Jarvis, perfect 23.976, but on Krypton, it's output at 24.000.
I see. Yeah that is an issue with the Krypton build, but I see another problem. I am in no way trying to undermine the efforts of kszaq, but the output is limited to 8-bit with both Jarvis and Krypton builds. HDR10 metadata is sent only when the output is 4K 50Hz or higher. In other words, it seems to work only with YCbCr 4:2:0 output. HDR clips that are in 23.976 do not seem to pass the HDR10 metadata (I tested the Life of Pi and Exodus clips). Also, you don't get HDR output when it autoswitches to 4K from 1080p resolution. It looks like the output resolution has to be set to 4K 50Hz or higher for HDR output to work.

I am sure these bugs will be fixed eventually.
(2016-12-16, 03:05)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks, ordered 2 for kids and guest rooms. On sale at gearbest.com now (not affiliated w/them). Hope it performs decently well.

Go to 16gb version fast emmc
Just one quick question...

Can I set the output format to YCbCr (or YUV) on these boxes?
I am only interested in LibreELEC.

There is an add-on for my Raspberry Pi (Leopold's Add-ons OpenELEC RPi Config) that enables selecting the output format (RGB Limited, RGB Full, YCbCr Limited, YCbCr Full) - is there such an addon for the S905X boxes as well?
Can nobody answer that question?

Do you maybe know what the standard or native HDMI color encoding of the S905(X) is?

If there is no regular setting or add-on, is there at least a code line that I can put in some .txt..?
(2016-12-20, 12:03)jd17 Wrote: Can nobody answer that question?

Do you maybe know what the standard or native HDMI color encoding of the S905(X) is?

If there is no regular setting or add-on, is there at least a code line that I can put in some .txt..?

theres no setting to switch it in the menus, but iirc it can be set via command line, i have no clue if its going to work correctly or even at all tho, why not ask at the libreelec forum where you can get some support from the guy working on the builds

https://forum.libreelec.tv/forum-38.html
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
That is a good idea - thanks!
YCbCr Is the standard colorspace output by AMLogic. It produces superior grey color shading vs RGB.

RGB can be output with the command found in This Post

That can also be put in the LE autostart.sh file for permanent RGB color output.

(2016-01-08, 23:18)hdmkv Wrote: Amazon is hypocritical... they ban Google's Nexus Player and Apple TV from sale (as they didn't want competition), yet allow (or at least don't clamp down on) many 'fully loaded' Kodi boxes that hawk banned add-ons, violate trademarks, and what have you.

Imagine that right? They let Roku on though lol.

--
I'm passionate about Kodi and setting them up on the Amazon Fire TV Stick: http://mytrendexpert.com/2016/12/17/amazon-fire-stick/
(2016-12-21, 00:28)wrxtasy Wrote: YCbCr Is the standard colorspace output by AMLogic. It produces superior grey color shading vs RGB.

RGB can be output with the command found in This Post

That can also be put in the LE autostart.sh file for permanent RGB color output.

Thank you, wrxtasy!
Do you by any chance know which YCbCr exactly it is? 420, 422, 444?
kszaq answered me in the LibreELEC forum as well, but he does not know that:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-524-po...l#pid24419
(2016-12-21, 09:14)jd17 Wrote: Thank you, wrxtasy!
Do you by any chance know which YCbCr exactly it is? 420, 422, 444?
For S905X, it is YCbCr 4:4:4 for all 720/1080 refresh rates and 4K 24/25/SMPTE. For 4K 50/60Hz, it is YCbCr 4:2:0. Deep Color mode enables 10-bit Rec.2020 output for 4K. For non-4K and Deep Color mode off, it is Rec.709.

For S905, it is the same thing except that there is no 10-bit Rec.2020 output.

With LibreELEC there is no 10-bit output at 1080 or 4K. It is limited to 8-bit. However, you can get 8-bit, YCbCr 4:2:0 Rec.2020 HDR output on S905X if the output is set to 4K 50/60Hz. This means that the images will be darker and will lack shadow/highlight details.
Thank you so much wesk05!

Now, as far as I understand it, chroma subsampling is independent of the RGB range, is that correct?
So YCbCr 4:4:4 can be either 16-235 or 0-255, right?
Do you know which one it is for S905X? Native video levels (16-235) or native PC levels (0-255)?

I just want to make sure - the RPi options are a bit confusing to be honest.
There is YCbCr Limited and YCbCr Full, but I never knew what the actual chroma subsampling is...
I only know that YCbCr Limited gives me the correct output on RPi2.
YCbCr Full however definitely sends PC levels.

I appreciate your help on this!
@jd17: YCbCr (all chroma samplings) can only have limited range for CEA-861 video formats. If the display declares selectable quantization, you can send full range YCbCr, but it is not very common. All broadcast and retail video content have 16-235 range.

S905X like almost every other SoC outputs YCbCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:0 with 16-235 range.
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6