• 62(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2017-01-09, 19:05)efegue Wrote: haha, this china bois!

"World's best android tv", right.

Not android TV ,but maybe worlds most capable kodi media devices in the 50 dollar and below category... unless of course you need DRM conent like netflix etc..

On a serious note there are limitations to budget devices and compromises which can be expected for the price your paying like:

- WiFi is not very good on some devices due to poor internal antennas, some cheaper devices also only support single band 2.4ghz WiFi, I know some people have soldered small external antennas to the boards and worked around this issues. Hard wired ethernet is always better option than WiFi anyway.

- Android buids from the manufacturers are generally pretty basic and crap, especally the Android 6 builds, Android 5.1 builds are more stable. You may be able to use a custom ROM like xannytech or a ported. Minix ROM though,

- Dont expect ongoing support after 2 or 3 OTA updates when the box is relatively new to market, manufacturers will drop support and move on to the next models off box meaning you once again need to rely on custom ROM support if you need android, or maybe your build will be stable by then... Generally android is stable on 5.1.on my Mini MX and on my M8S II I run the xannytech ROM.

- Of course if you dont need android and want a Kodi only device go with Kazaqs excellent LibreElec builds...and negate all android issues Wink

In short, do your research first, find out which budget devices are the good ones to go for, dont buy blindly based on price/spec alone. Most of the common cheap devices will all run LibreElec quite well...nexbox, beelink, MBox etc... with the exception of some WiFI/Bluetooth drivers which is why you need to do some reading on the LibreElec forums... Pleanty of fantastic bargains out there.

I wonder where all the more expensive "premium" branded devices are made ?? The same factories in China of course...with a 500 % markup
(2017-01-10, 13:40)gsmtech Wrote:
(2017-01-09, 19:05)efegue Wrote: haha, this china bois!

"World's best android tv", right.

Not android TV ,but maybe worlds most capable kodi media devices in the 50 dollar and below category... unless of course you need DRM nonent like netflix etc..

On a serious note there are limitations to budget devices and compromises which can be expected for the price your paying like:

- WiFi not very good on some devices due to poor internal antennas. I know some people have soldered small external antennas to the boards and worked around this issues. Hard wired ethernet is always better option than WiFi anyway.

- Android buids from the manufacturers are generally pretty basic and crap, especally the Android 6 builds, Androif 5.1 builds are more stable. You may be able to use a custom ROM like xannytech ot ported. Minix ROMS though,

- Dont expect ongoing support after 2 or 3 OTA updates when the box is relatively new to market, manufacturers will drop support and move on to the next models off box meaning you once again need to rely on custom ROM support if you need android, or maybe your build will be stable by then... Generally android is stable on 5.1.on my Mini MX and on my M8S II I run the xannytech ROM.

- Of course if you dont need android and want a Kodi only device go with Kazaqs excellent LibreElec builds...and negate all android issues Wink

In short, do your research first, find out which budget devices are the good ones to go for, dont buy blindly based on price/spec alone. Most of the common cheap devices will all run LibreElec quite well...nexbox, beelink, MBox etc... with the exception of some WiFI/Bluetooth drivers which is why you need to do some reading on the LibreElec forums... Pleanty of fantastic bargains out there.

I wonder where all the more expensive "premium" branded devices are made ?? The same factories in China of course...with a 500 % markup

Very balanced post stating the good points of a value for money android box, with appropriate warnings, WIFI, firmware build and support.

The key is picking the right box, people may think they are going to get that guidance when reading the thread title of this thread. However I think most people will be left confused.
Best budget box (amlogic s905) was mini mxiii,best budget box (amlogic s905x )is mini m8s ii 16gb,best budget amlogic s912(alfawise s92 -beelink Gt1)......Minix ,wetek (budget) I don't think so......
Some interesting results here about S905X and 100M LAN speeds. Wi-fi is terrible.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2017-01-10, 15:04)Bajann Wrote: Best budget box (amlogic s905) was mini mxiii,best budget box (amlogic s905x )is mini m8s ii 16gb,best budget amlogic s912(alfawise s92 -beelink Gt1)......Minix ,wetek (budget) I don't think so......

Best budget box (amlogic s905) was mini mxiii,best budget box - agree I have one
(amlogic s905x )is mini m8s ii 16gb - can't comment as have not tried, one but useful to know your view
best budget amlogic s912(alfawise s92 -beelink Gt1) - sent my GT1 back, brilliant hardware but problems running Kodi
Minix ,wetek (budget) I don't think so...... - agreed
M8S II 8GB and 16GB are both good... just make sure RAM is 2GB.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
is not also the case that as well as 2GB the faster the RAM the better (caching etc) ? there seems to be a rise in boxes coming with 3GB DDR4 RAM, which is good ?
But 16gb version have faster internal storage....(mini m8sii)
About Gt1 yes all amlogic s912 and amlogic s905x devices have some problems with kodi(amcodec) problem with hevc files (they fix that)Is rly good now with custom ROM but still need some modifications I hope they will fix some of isues -for me is better option amlogic s905x (libreelec)....
(2017-01-10, 16:19)JustAnotherUser Wrote: is not also the case that as well as 2GB the faster the RAM the better (caching etc) ? there seems to be a rise in boxes coming with 3GB DDR4 RAM, which is good ?

Noticed this as well. Looks like 2017 will be the year of cheap Android boxes with 3GB of RAM.

(2017-01-10, 15:04)Bajann Wrote: Best budget box (amlogic s905) was mini mxiii,best budget box (amlogic s905x )is mini m8s ii 16gb,best budget amlogic s912(alfawise s92 -beelink Gt1)......Minix ,wetek (budget) I don't think so......

Amlogic S912 devices are better off avoided completely for now, buggy android 6 builds and no compatibility or development work ongoing for LibreElec. They dont make good Kodi machines right now, who knows maybe in the future they will...but not right now..

As S905 devices are becoming increasingly harder to source , S905X is the way to go for now more or less the same price as S905 devices, sometimes cheaper and they work well with LibreElec .
Hi, what do you folks think of this box, TICTID M9C Pro? https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/...ezvid02-20

Thanks!
(2017-01-10, 18:17)nealsil Wrote: Hi, what do you folks think of this box, TICTID M9C Pro? https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/...ezvid02-20

Thanks!

I would avoid it as it only has 1GB of RAM, I would go for a 2GB of RAM box
(2017-01-10, 18:35)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 18:17)nealsil Wrote: Hi, what do you folks think of this box, TICTID M9C Pro? https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/...ezvid02-20

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick feedback. I know its a different category box but i just put a bid on a nvidia shield 16k. I know they have something new coming out soon but i'm hearing the current model is still better in some ways than the new one coming out. Any thoughts?
(2017-01-10, 18:38)nealsil Wrote:
(2017-01-10, 18:35)Jeffers24 Wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick feedback. I know its a different category box but i just put a bid on a nvidia shield 16k. I know they have something new coming out soon but i'm hearing the current model is still better in some ways than the new one coming out. Any thoughts?

Have a look here:-

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
My $40 Amlogic S905x Android box running Ubuntu 16.04, thanks to Balbes150 for porting this OS to this box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfbGaphtuUA
  • 62(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6