• 69(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
@wesk05 does this include ALL AMLogic boxes - ie the S912 - U9 ? ....

and what about the Zidoo X9S and the nVIDIA Shield ?

So current bottom line is that SDR 10 bit 709 stuff will play fine - but Rec 2020 SDR (which I believe to be a valid content type?) and any Rec 2020 HDR stuff won't ? (Is Rec 2100 Rec2020+HDR?)

Is this irrespective of player solution - i.e. are there any HDR10 compatible Netflix or Netflix-type Android apps that correctly handle HDR output as HDR10 with metadata? I'm assuming Dolby Vision has yet to trouble this area?

It would be intellectually satisfying (!) to know if there are any solutions currently available in the Intel, AMLogic, AMD, nVidia etc. arena that correctly decode HEVC or similar content in 10 or 12 bit encoded in HDR with HDR10 and/or HLG and/or Dolby Vision HDR and output this over HDMI in a suitable HDR format for suitable displays.
I own a S905X box (LibreELEC Jarvis) and a HDR10 + DV TV.

- 2160p 8 Bit HEVC BT.709 is no issue at all.

- 2160p 10 Bit HEVC BT.2020 HDR10 test files play absolutely fine and I don't see a difference compared to the TV's internal media player. The TV detects HDR and the info button tells me "2160p HDR". Colors look accurate and there does not seem to be additional banding.
I do not know if the 10 Bit color depth is converted to 8 Bit, unfortunately the TV does not give me that detail.

- 2160p 10 Bit HEVC BT.2020 Dolby Vision plays fine as well, but looks very off, the TV does not detect DV.

- 2160p 10 Bit HEVC BT.2020 SDR is fine as well - I think. I have to check again, but I am pretty sure that I tested those kind of files too.

I have not tested HLG yet because I know that the TV needs a firmware update for that.
(2017-03-08, 09:20)wrxtasy Wrote: @wesk05 does this include ALL AMLogic boxes - ie the S912 - U9 ? ....

and what about the Zidoo X9S and the nVIDIA Shield ?
To the best of my knowledge, it is like this on every single HDR capable Android box. None of them are capable of processing HDR. They all simply passthrough the HDR10 metadata.

(2017-03-08, 12:02)noggin Wrote: So current bottom line is that SDR 10 bit 709 stuff will play fine - but Rec 2020 SDR (which I believe to be a valid content type?) and any Rec 2020 HDR stuff won't ? (Is Rec 2100 Rec2020+HDR?)

Is this irrespective of player solution - i.e. are there any HDR10 compatible Netflix or Netflix-type Android apps that correctly handle HDR output as HDR10 with metadata? I'm assuming Dolby Vision has yet to trouble this area?

It would be intellectually satisfying (!) to know if there are any solutions currently available in the Intel, AMLogic, AMD, nVidia etc. arena that correctly decode HEVC or similar content in 10 or 12 bit encoded in HDR with HDR10 and/or HLG and/or Dolby Vision HDR and output this over HDMI in a suitable HDR format for suitable displays.
All HDR capable Android boxes can decode and output in 10-bit/12-bit Rec.2020 color space with HDR10 metadata passthrough. What they don't do is process HDR content and convert it to SDR content or do gamut mapping. They dither/truncate to 8-bit and simply strip the HDR10 metadata.

Rec.2100 has several new features, notable being it defines dynamic HDR metadata, full dynamic range and ICtCp color space.

On Windows, madVR can process HDR10 and output it as SDR. I am not sure whether it keeps the wide color gamut or does gamut mapping also.

(2017-03-08, 13:37)jd17 Wrote: I own a S905X box (LibreELEC Jarvis) and a HDR10 + DV TV.
S905X is a HDR10 capable SoC.
(2017-03-08, 18:53)wesk05 Wrote: All HDR capable Android boxes can decode and output in 10-bit/12-bit Rec.2020 color space with HDR10 metadata passthrough. What they don't do is process HDR content and convert it to SDR content or do gamut mapping. They dither/truncate to 8-bit and simply strip the HDR10 metadata.

So there are HDR10 solutions for Android that will happily play 10/12-bit Rec 2020 4:2:0 stuff (presumably H265/HEVC?) and output 10/12-bit video with HDR10 metadata passthroug - i.e. they will play HDR content and output it in HDR properly.

However they don't correctly convert HDR content to SDR (so if you play HDR material but have an SDR display you are not getting a proper result) - as they just output 8-bit truncated HDR video without metadata, rather than properly converting to SDR.
(2017-03-08, 19:43)noggin Wrote: So there are HDR10 solutions for Android that will happily play 10/12-bit Rec 2020 4:2:0 stuff (presumably H265/HEVC?) and output 10/12-bit video with HDR10 metadata passthroug - i.e. they will play HDR content and output it in HDR properly.

However they don't correctly convert HDR content to SDR (so if you play HDR material but have an SDR display you are not getting a proper result) - as they just output 8-bit truncated HDR video without metadata, rather than properly converting to SDR.

They will play 10-bit HEVC HDR content and properly output it in 10-bit YCbCr 4:2:0 (Amlogic S905X/S912) or 10-bit YCbCr 4:2:0/12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 (Shield, Zidoo X9S & other Realtek RTD1295 players) with HDR10 InfoFrame and Rec.2020 colorimetery. I have no idea about HiMedia H10/H5. None of them support Main 12 HEVC profile. So, no 12-bit HEVC content.

Correct.
@wesk05

great info there....but i doubt that HDR to SDR conversion is a top request for 99% of people. And anyway in 2018 most Soc's will do it probably...hell even TV's might...

if these new Soc play HDR just fine...then i guess all is good for at least 3 years. From a french review himedia q pro even outputs correcrtly HLG metadata....but never read himedia claim it....
(2017-03-09, 20:53)nenito2k Wrote: From a french review himedia q pro even outputs correcrtly HLG metadata....but never read himedia claim it....
That is very interesting. Android 7.0 seem to support HLG only in VP9 profile 2/3. It doesn't seem to support HLG in HEVC. Also HLG transport requires HDMI 2.0b. Does this mean that Himedia Q5/10 Pro has been upgraded to HDMI 2.0b? The SoC is from late 2015. I didn't think that it supported VP9 profile 2. Do you have a link this French review?
(2017-03-09, 20:53)nenito2k Wrote: @wesk05

great info there....but i doubt that HDR to SDR conversion is a top request for 99% of people. And anyway in 2018 most Soc's will do it probably...hell even TV's might...
We'll see, I don't expect all SOC's magically do correct tone mapping.
Some will argue that still 99,9% view devices are SDR: link
At that link and and this there are some good readings about HDR mapping and test clips.
@wesk05 answered in q pro thread...
I'd like an S905X box with gigabit Internet. What are my options?

Piracy Cop
(2017-03-19, 01:48)Piracy Cop Wrote: I'd like an S905X box with gigabit Internet. What are my options?

Piracy Cop
You're unlikely to find one.
There are plenty of gigabit S905.
(2017-03-19, 01:48)Piracy Cop Wrote: I'd like an S905X box with gigabit Internet. What are my options?

Piracy Cop
I don't believe the S905X SoC supports Gigabit Ethernet. Best you might get is an external USB 2.0/3.0 to Gigabit adaptor which will be faster than the on board 100Mbs NIC ? (USB 3.0 adaptors will run at 2.0 speeds, but seem to be easier to find than USB 2.0 these days - presumably as 2.0 ones maxed out at 480Mbs tops and probably quite a lot less)
Noggin is correct - you need to get a S905 device like the ODROID's or WeTek's if you want GigaE support.
The S905x chipset does not have the necessary GigaE controller onboard. This controller was sacrificed in the name of cost cutting on the S905x.

ASIX Chipset USB > Ethernet Adapters only for AMLogic devices. You will likely pay through the nose for a decent GigaE one and then there are no guarantees on how well it will work when device is switched to standby and then woken up again.
Personally I would just buy a S905 and be done with it instead of stuffing about with uncertain, compromised solutions.

Piracy Cop

Why? What media do you think you'll need GigE for?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
  • 69(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6