• 79(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2017-07-25, 21:30)xboxuser Wrote:
(2017-07-25, 20:40)clarkss12 Wrote: MECOOL M8S PRO

Edit, I am waiting for the MECOOL M8S PRO Plus, Amlogic S905X, the one without the PLUS is an Amlogic S912. The

Thanks, I thought so. I just stumbled over that box during research, but built-in wireless is not supported by LibreElec yet ( as pointed out by wrxtasy some posts above ).

All my devices are hard wired with gigabit Ethernet.
I still have not received my box, but several people from Freaktab, have verified that the $38 US MECOOL M8S PRO Plus, does indeed play Netflix at 1080P resolution. I have no confirmation that it plays DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus). Magendanz has ported the stock Android 7.1 to the Android TV OS. When I receive my box, I will be testing Kodi on it, specifically, if it passes through HD audio.
You cannot get 1080p Netflix from any Android device unless the Hardware has been Netflix certified.
Anyone telling you otherwise is simply wrong and full of crap.

Max. 720p only with Widevine Level 1 DRM certificates and a "massaged" Netflix .apk

I did extensive testing and logging with a MINIX U9, that also has Widevine Level 1 DRM only.
There is simply no way around that Netflix Max. 720p restriction, no matter what ROM you use.

(2017-07-29, 04:27)wrxtasy Wrote: You cannot get 1080p Netflix from any device unless the Hardware has been Netflix approved.
Anyone telling you otherwise is simply wrong and full of crap.

Max. 720p only with Widevine Level 1 DRM certificates and a "massaged" Netflix .apk

I did extensive testing and logging with a MINIX U9, that has Widevine Level 1 DRM.

I think you are mistaken, but can't prove or disprove until I actually have my box. If you visit the thread for this box on the Freaktab forum, you will see several people have verified that it plays 1080P in Netflix. And from what I read, the Netflix app downloaded from the Android TV OS version Play Store WILL play Netflix in 1080P.
I'm not mistaken about regular tablet Android MM.

Interesting.

Ahh Android TV Nougat ROM. Looks like there is a hole in Netflix Android TV DRM security for some users devices. I wonder how long that is going to last.

Looks like they are using "borrowed" Google Nexus Player - Netflix ESN certificates. Ha ha. Will be very interesting to see what happens from this point going forward.

Since I am paying for he Netflix streaming service, I should be able to watch 1080P media on any device in my household. As long as the device meets the secure requirements, that device should be able to play at whatever resolution I am paying for.
I will check this out.

(2017-07-29, 04:51)wrxtasy Wrote: Looks like they are using "borrowed" Google Nexus Player - Netflix ESN certificates. Ha ha. Will be very interesting to see what happens from this point going forward.
I am not even sure about Widevine and HDCP license. VideoStrong is nowhere to be found.
The trouble is if a device does not have HDCP 1.x at the very least to prevent copying the 1080p DRM video output, that is when the Hollywood / Netflix content creators get worried.

So if this device running cloned Nexus Player approvals without HDCP 1.x you would expect a swift response from Google or Netflix. I said expect, if that happens or not will be interesting to see. Wink

(2017-07-29, 05:15)wrxtasy Wrote: So if this device running cloned Nexus Player approvals without HDCP 1.x you would expect a swift response from Google or Netflix. I said expect, if that happens or not will be interesting to see. Wink
It does enforce HDCP 1.x, in fact it is active even if it is disabled in developer options.
This box does support HDCP and Widevine level 1, that is why this box is capable of playing Netflix in 1080P.
You can clone all the boxes you want, but it won't help without the HDCP and Widevine level 1 that this box has.
Very interesting... The custom Android TV firmware indeed gets you Netflix 1080p and Dolby Digital Plus audio. Google Play Movies is still 480p, but with Dolby Digital Plus. HBO Go is 1080p with Dolby Digital Plus. Showtime Anytime doesn't work.

Since this is the Kodi forum, we will go back to Kodi performance: HD audio passthrough works, but there is no refresh rate switching. As I have mentioned before, getting 10-bit output is flaky.
Yes remember AMLogic Nougat Firmware has Google IEC 61937 - DTS & HD Audio Passthrough support now required by Kodi Krypton - which WeTek, Xiaomi and MINIX backported into their current AML Marshmallow Firmware.

Its one of the reasons why I have been banging on that cheap buggy AML MM Firmware devices are really not a good buy for anything but LibreELEC.

From reading this thread and others around the same subject, I got the impression that one of the differences between S905 and S905X is that the latter adds support for HDR (and VP9).
I'm assuming this means that eventually if HDR support makes it to LibreELEC on AMLogic hardware, it will be limited to devices running S905X?
(2017-08-05, 15:37)sergiomiranda Wrote: From reading this thread and others around the same subject, I got the impression that one of the differences between S905 and S905X is that the latter adds support for HDR (and VP9).
I'm assuming this means that eventually if HDR support makes it to LibreELEC on AMLogic hardware, it will be limited to devices running S905X?

VP9 & HDR support has already made it to AML S905X/S912 LibreELEC Kodi Krypton - its still really in the testing phase tho with AML Nougat Linux Kernels.

No one is jumping up and down due to (a) not everyone has a 4K HDR TV and (b) stuff all properly encoded HDR content. What movies I have researched thru travelling the net have 4K movies sizes at anywhere from 60-100GB+ Yes Gigabytes.

It has likely come to the point where 4K HDR Netflix and 4K HDR Amazon is very likely "near enough" for the majority of consumers and there will be no need for massive home storage as everything will be online streamed.

• 79(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6