• 80(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
(2017-07-25, 22:34)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2017-07-25, 21:30)xboxuser Wrote:
(2017-07-25, 20:40)clarkss12 Wrote: MECOOL M8S PRO

Edit, I am waiting for the MECOOL M8S PRO Plus, Amlogic S905X, the one without the PLUS is an Amlogic S912. The

Thanks, I thought so. I just stumbled over that box during research, but built-in wireless is not supported by LibreElec yet ( as pointed out by wrxtasy some posts above ).

All my devices are hard wired with gigabit Ethernet.

I just got this box (MeCool M8S Pro+S905X 2/16) today (ordered yesterday! WooHoo for Amazon Prime)
Another confusing vendor nomenclature as the S905X and the S912 BOTH are designated the M8S Pro+

My very first reaction is in regard to the wireless - it's just as well you have ethernet, as the wireless on this device is pretty much worthless
I'm only getting about 1.6Mbps download in a location where I was getting about 60Mbps with the Mi Box - or if I use an external Wireless adapter
Only 2.4G - NO 5G (the Amazon description says Dual Band - it's NOT)
Also note that no S905X boxes - this one included - are gigabit - it's 100Mb

Have not yet tried LibreElec in dual boot but again the lack of ANY WiFi capability for LibreElec (let alone its already very poor performance on Android), is already testing my patience

Auto Frame Rate switching not working (in Android) from what I have seen so far - need to play with it some more

Already thinking about return to be honest - nice thing about Amazon!

I almost went with the S912 version then second guessed myself - might just give that one a go or just try the new(ish) Minix
I'm pretty sure its never been recommended to purchase any of these boxes for use with Android, LE only and the lack of wifi with LE for some chipsets is well advertised. By all means pick a S912 box, if you want to go backwards from your current situation.
Could not have summed it up better myself Wink

Freaktab Website has some pretty decent Alt. Firmware apparently - even a Android TV 7.1 ROM Wink

(2017-08-12, 03:44)DEcosse Wrote:
(2017-07-25, 22:34)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2017-07-25, 21:30)xboxuser Wrote: Thanks, I thought so. I just stumbled over that box during research, but built-in wireless is not supported by LibreElec yet ( as pointed out by wrxtasy some posts above ).

All my devices are hard wired with gigabit Ethernet.

I just got this box (MeCool M8S Pro+S905X 2/16) today (ordered yesterday! WooHoo for Amazon Prime)
Another confusing vendor nomenclature as the S905X and the S912 BOTH are designated the M8S Pro+

My very first reaction is in regard to the wireless - it's just as well you have ethernet, as the wireless on this device is pretty much worthless
I'm only getting about 1.6Mbps download in a location where I was getting about 60Mbps with the Mi Box - or if I use an external Wireless adapter
Only 2.4G - NO 5G (the Amazon description says Dual Band - it's NOT)
Also note that no S905X boxes - this one included - are gigabit - it's 100Mb

Have not yet tried LibreElec in dual boot but again the lack of ANY WiFi capability for LibreElec (let alone its already very poor performance on Android), is already testing my patience

Auto Frame Rate switching not working (in Android) from what I have seen so far - need to play with it some more

Already thinking about return to be honest - nice thing about Amazon!

I almost went with the S912 version then second guessed myself - might just give that one a go or just try the new(ish) Minix

Before you give up on it, give the mod by Magendanz, from Freaktab, a try. He has ported the ATV version to it, and I understand it is great. I have been waiting for about a month and a half, now, for mine.
Transferred from START HERE thread.

(2017-08-14, 13:22)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-08-12, 03:43)wrxtasy Wrote: Head over to the LibreELEC AMLogic subforum and start reading, I believe a few users have those already:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/board/38-amlogic/

Having read so much about LibreELEC I thought I would give it a go :-) preferably a Kodi 17.3 version, so I can copy my existing 17.3 build across

I have an S905x with 2Gb/16Gb and want to be able to dual boot from a USB stick.

I followed the link to the LibreELEC AMlogic subforum and I believe I can determine which device tree and version of LibreELEC to download.

My problem is once I have downloaded these, what do I do with the downloads?

The guide states I need to install a device tree, how do I do that?

What do I do with the LibreELEC download?

Something called Rufus is also mentioned, I do not know what this is.

Do I have to format the USB stick in a special way?

Is there a set of step by step set of instructions that I can follow?

Kodi is not a LibreELEC software support forum, please use the actually AMLogic LibreELEC forum where all support and detailed instructions are given:

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/9319-8...905-s905x/

HINT there is a HOW TO + FAQ link there staring you in the face...

@Jeffers24, I have a video that may help you. It is for installing Ubuntu, but same procedure for installing LibreELEC. It covers how to use Rufus to install you OS onto a microSD card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7nz00WggYc&t=1s
(2017-08-14, 16:10)clarkss12 Wrote: @Jeffers24, I have a video that may help you. It is for installing Ubuntu, but same procedure for installing LibreELEC. It covers how to use Rufus to install you OS onto a microSD card.

@clarkss12 thanks for info

I used this:-

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/index.php?titl...SD_Creator

Came with instructions so easier to use, just pointed to locally stored image and it created my LibreELEC bootable USB :-)

LibreELEC now booting on my box :-)

When using it, box has hung a few times, but still experimenting.
(2017-08-14, 16:36)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-08-14, 16:10)clarkss12 Wrote: @Jeffers24, I have a video that may help you. It is for installing Ubuntu, but same procedure for installing LibreELEC. It covers how to use Rufus to install you OS onto a microSD card.

@clarkss12 thanks for info

I used this:-

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/index.php?titl...SD_Creator

Came with instructions so easier to use, just pointed to locally stored image and it created my LibreELEC bootable USB :-)

LibreELEC now booting on my box :-)

When using it, box has hung a few times, but still experimenting.

Are you sure you grabbed the correct version for your box?? I have several different generic Amlogic boxes, but the options from that app does not apply to my boxes.
Absolutely dire unusable performance with LibreELEC so far.

Occasionally works as expected but 99% of the time unresponsive with the spinning wheel displayed and USB stick (Corsair CMFSL3X1 Flash Voyager Slider X1 USB 3.0 Capless Sliding Flash Drive - 128 GB) light constantly flickering.

The system does come back to life eventually but can take minutes

Any ideas on what I may be able to do to fix this?
Personally I wouldn't consider using LE over USB to be a fair representation of it. I'd install it to NAND or at least a very fast mSD card before blaming the box or software.
(2017-08-14, 18:09)jakejm79 Wrote: Personally I wouldn't consider using LE over USB to be a fair representation of it. I'd install it to NAND or at least a very fast mSD card before blaming the box or software.
Performance seems to vary a lot between (the cheap) boxes (as well as between sticks presumably).
On my mini mxiiis I struggle to see any difference between nand / sd / usb, other than boot time.
Others complain of rotten performance with usb.
It's the luck of the draw.
Its not luck of the draw if you do research properly and buy micro SDHC cards with good Random 4K performance.

ie the well proven Samsung EVO's and Sandisk Class 10 U1

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-microsd-card/

Personally using USB would be a last resort.

(2017-08-14, 19:30)wrxtasy Wrote: Its not luck of the draw if you do research properly and buy micro SDHC cards with good Random 4K performance.

USB is absolutely fine for me. On other boxes it's apparently shite.
If that isn't 'luck of the draw' maybe you could explain what it is.
There are good reasons for using usb - if you want to dual boot with android (and use the sd card in android) then using a usb stick is much much simpler.
(2017-08-14, 19:43)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-08-14, 19:30)wrxtasy Wrote: Its not luck of the draw if you do research properly and buy micro SDHC cards with good Random 4K performance.

USB is absolutely fine for me. On other boxes it's apparently shite.
If that isn't 'luck of the draw' maybe you could explain what it is.
There are good reasons for using usb - if you want to dual boot with android (and use the sd card in android) then using a usb stick is much much simpler.

I have various USB drives:-

Corsair CMFSL3X1 Flash Voyager Slider X1 USB 3.0 Capless Sliding Flash Drive - 128 GB

SanDisk Ultra Flair 128 GB up to 150 MB/s Read USB 3.0

SanDisk Extreme 64 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 245 MB/s

My thoughts are to use the Micro SD slot for a card to store info I want to stay with the box.

To use a USB drive that I could take with me and use in any box I want to including boxes in different countries.

This seems to be my most practical option/s

I was using the Corsair when I was having the LibreELEC performance issues, when LibreELEC performs badly my USB light is flashing continuously all I was doing was navigating menus, I just don't know what is happening when my USB light is flashing

When my USB light is not continuously flashing LibreLEC performs well

As I am new to LibreELEC and not having access to any android apps I don't know what to look at, any help would be appreciated
The light flashes whenever data is read or written to the USB stick, if this coincides with the trouble in LE, then that's a pretty big indicator what the problem is.

I'd imagine those read speeds are maximum sequential read speeds, not the random reads that makes more importance. I'd imagine a mSD would be much more portable than a USB stick, what with it being smaller and all.

My money would be the on the different sticks making the bigger difference over the boxes, but it's entirely possibly there is some variation in the boxes too.
  • 80(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6