• 89(current)
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options
Hey @wrxtasy, please feel free to update post #1. I've been out of the loop as to the latest with cheap AMLogic options.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
(2017-10-09, 02:59)wrxtasy Wrote: Sorry but this is not a Android DIY Firmware Forum, that is exactly what the Freaktab website Firmware ROM's & Tools sub-forums are for where all the instructions and help should be asked for regarding Firmware. The Subforum to look for is the AMLogic S912 for the Beelink GT1.

For any 1080p Netflix on any Android device you need at least Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x. And the correct Android Firmware frameworks.
If your box was not sold with that DRM forget about 1080p Netflix, HBO etc. it cannot be added via flashing any Firmware found on a website.
This is why specific MECOOL boxes names keep popping up, because they are now sold with Widevine L1 DRM and HDCP 1.x.

Right... I was just looking for a pointer to a link over at Freaktab, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, and since multiple people here posted with success on the M8S Pro+, I thought I'd ask. I have both the M8S Pro + and the Beelink. I want to drop the Nexus ATV hack onto the M8S Pro+ since it *does* have widevine L1. Nexus ROM fixes a ton of issues the Beelink GT1 (S912) has by the way... It clears up the stuttering video over the crap 7.1.2 branch firmware and it plays smooth. It just doesn't do much else other than Kodi.

Anyway, thanks.
(2017-10-10, 02:28)Hsbrown2 Wrote:
(2017-10-09, 02:59)wrxtasy Wrote: Sorry but this is not a Android DIY Firmware Forum, that is exactly what the Freaktab website Firmware ROM's & Tools sub-forums are for where all the instructions and help should be asked for regarding Firmware. The Subforum to look for is the AMLogic S912 for the Beelink GT1.

For any 1080p Netflix on any Android device you need at least Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x. And the correct Android Firmware frameworks.
If your box was not sold with that DRM forget about 1080p Netflix, HBO etc. it cannot be added via flashing any Firmware found on a website.
This is why specific MECOOL boxes names keep popping up, because they are now sold with Widevine L1 DRM and HDCP 1.x.

Right... I was just looking for a pointer to a link over at Freaktab, it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack, and since multiple people here posted with success on the M8S Pro+, I thought I'd ask. I have both the M8S Pro + and the Beelink. I want to drop the Nexus ATV hack onto the M8S Pro+ since it *does* have widevine L1. Nexus ROM fixes a ton of issues the Beelink GT1 (S912) has by the way... It clears up the stuttering video over the crap 7.1.2 branch firmware and it plays smooth. It just doesn't do much else other than Kodi.

Anyway, thanks.

Here is the link to get the ATV mod for your MeCool M8S Pro PLUS.  Make sure you don't have one of the affected eMMC's that will brick your box.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...oid-tv-7-1
(2017-10-10, 03:46)clarkss12 Wrote:
(2017-10-10, 02:28)Hsbrown2 Wrote:

Anyway, thanks.

Here is the link to get the ATV mod for your MeCool M8S Pro PLUS.  Make sure you don't have one of the affected eMMC's that will brick your box.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...oid-tv-7-1

How do I make sure my Mecool M8S pro plus doesn't have one of the affected eMMC's?
Any reason not to get a KM8Pro 2G/16GB S912? I plan to use KODI, maybe an emu, Netflix, Hulu, Prime, with hvec support..
Yes these important reasons - >> No DRM Widevine L1 or HDCP 1.x that is needed for 720/1080p Netflix and other paid for copy protected streaming Apps.
For AMLogic boxes - only the S912 MECOOL M8S Pro L, S912 MINIX U9 and also the WeTek Hub / Play2 have those.

For a properly working Amazon Prime App - you need a NVIDIA Shield or actual Amazon Hardware.
The 2017 AMLogic S905Z 4K HDR FireTV Gen3, released in 8 days time will also have Amazon Prime.

This stuff was already repeated in the post above yours:

Quote:For any 1080p Netflix on any Android device you need at least Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x. And the correct Android Firmware frameworks.

(2017-10-16, 05:21)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes these important reasons - >> No DRM Widevine L1 or HDCP 1.x that is needed for 720/1080p Netflix and other paid for copy protected streaming Apps.
- only the S912 MECOOL M8S Pro L or the S912 MINIX U9 has that.

No AMLogic Box will give you a properly working Amazon Prime App - you need a NVIDIA Shield or actual Amazon Hardware.

Quote:For any 1080p Netflix on any Android device you need at least Widevine L1 and HDCP 1.x. And the correct Android Firmware frameworks.

I didn't read the post thoroughly when I saw that the topic was a specific box. I'm okay with not having prime, as I only use it now and then, but Netflix is a necessity. Too many options, not enough concise answers like that. Thank you. Guess it's even further back to the drawing board. -_-
Quote:Yes these important reasons - >> No DRM Widevine L1 or HDCP 1.x that is needed for 720/1080p Netflix and other paid for copy protected streaming Apps.

For AMLogic boxes - only the S912 MECOOL M8S Pro L, S912 MINIX U9 and also the WeTek Hub / Play2 have those.

an the Mecool KI Pro (S905D) also

regards

Michael
(2017-10-16, 05:21)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes these important reasons - >> No DRM Widevine L1 or HDCP 1.x that is needed for 720/1080p Netflix and other paid for copy protected streaming Apps.

For a properly working Amazon Prime App - you need a NVIDIA Shield or actual Amazon Hardware.
The 2017 AMLogic S905Z 4K HDR FireTV Gen3, released in 8 days time will also have Amazon Prime.

I got the T95Z because I thought I could deal with the netflix/hulu at less than perfect quality. Never again. That thing is terrible. Returned it. Going with the new Fire TV at essentially the same price. Won't get "pro octacore performance" but at least it will be stable and I can return it. I'm sure there will be some custom goodness out there for Kodi soon enough. Might try another box if they're better. Have 70 or 80 bucks I need to use on amazon.
Is the the right S912 box? Thinking of (re)experimenting with 3D MVC on AMLogic (even if half-rez output). Or, wait for Sam to make this happen on Vero 4K?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Hey all,

So I've been browsing these forums to find the best cheap libreelec box, but i'm confused a bit.

requirements:
- Run librelec fluidtly
- Wifi
- 2gb ram/16gb Rom

I was thinking about the mecool that's around 30,- euro, but it has got no wifi. Maybe the tanix t3mini will work? I don't know how well the S905D is supported, and if wifi will work.

I'd be great if someone can point me in the right direction Smile
New box to replace the Xiaomi Mi Box, using the same Amlogic S905x SoC, running an Official version of the Android TV OS.  Price and availability unknown at this time.

http://en.sdmctech.com/product/android-tv_154.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti...sQpoEkcSN8
(2017-10-23, 00:20)clarkss12 Wrote: New box to replace the Xiaomi Mi Box, using the same Amlogic S905x SoC, running an Official version of the Android TV OS.  Price and availability unknown at this time.

That looks like it is an OEM supplier product, rather than one aimed at the general public. 

Suspect the purchasing company has to do some hoop-jumping to get Android TV release rights with suitable DRM?
(2017-10-23, 00:20)clarkss12 Wrote: New box to replace the Xiaomi Mi Box, using the same Amlogic S905x SoC, running an Official version of the Android TV OS.  Price and availability unknown at this time.

They say they are Google certified?! Hope its legit..

(2017-10-21, 12:28)robboman93 Wrote: Hey all,

So I've been browsing these forums to find the best cheap libreelec box, but i'm confused a bit.

requirements:
- Run librelec fluidtly
- Wifi
- 2gb ram/16gb Rom

I was thinking about the mecool that's around 30,- euro, but it has got no wifi. Maybe the tanix t3mini will work? I don't know how well the S905D is supported, and if wifi will work.

I'd be great if someone can point me in the right direction Smile

The Beelink MX III II has got good wifi, including 5Ghz. The Mecool can have wifi too for a few bucks spent on a wifi dongle. I've got the Beelink running LE and the Mecool running the Nexus ATV ROM (in-built wifi works on this ROM). They both work well.
  • 89(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget AMLogic S9xx Media Player Options6