Question about sharing library
Hi!

If i use a kodi instance as a "server" it shares on the same network trough UpNp the library, but sadly only as "file"

There is a way to share the library structure? Maybe pointing the mysql database to the kodi that share the library?

Thanks a lot
Do you mean like this: http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_Kodi ?

That allows all clients to use the same centralised mysql database on one "master" system.
(2016-01-15, 18:21)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Do you mean like this: http://kodi.wiki/view/MySQL/Setting_up_Kodi ?

That allows all clients to use the same centralised mysql database on one "master" system.

It's nice but i can't understand if it requires SMB or it also works on DLNA/UpNp :/
Neither for the database. SMB/NFS are for sharing files; UPnP can share files and the database; mysql is just the database (although clients obviously then have to be able to get at the files via the paths stored in the database, so you still need one of the other protocols).
(2016-01-16, 11:29)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Neither for the database. SMB/NFS are for sharing files; UPnP can share files and the database; mysql is just the database (although clients obviously then have to be able to get at the files via the paths stored in the database, so you still need one of the other protocols).
Worth noting that you can't use the library directly with upnp sources. You can view the library on another kodi machine, or use file views.
(2016-01-16, 11:29)Prof Yaffle Wrote: Neither for the database. SMB/NFS are for sharing files; UPnP can share files and the database; mysql is just the database (although clients obviously then have to be able to get at the files via the paths stored in the database, so you still need one of the other protocols).

(2016-01-16, 12:43)trogggy Wrote:
Worth noting that you can't use the library directly with upnp sources. You can view the library on another kodi machine, or use file views.

Yeah, the problem with UpNp is that MySql database does not looks like it will works because resource ate not static-linked.
And SMB is laggy for me :/
I would love to use NFS but this would cut out all the windows clients...
(2016-01-16, 13:58)Jhyrachy Wrote: I would love to use NFS but this would cut out all the windows clients...

Not entirely true - Kodi has its own NFS client built into the application. So while your Windows systems won't see the server through Explorer, Kodi as an application on Windows will. You could always still use SMB for 'casual' client access - that's how I use mine, SMB for files/day-to-day, NFS for Kodi with a shared MySQL database for all clients - Windows, Linux and Android.
(2016-01-16, 14:18)Prof Yaffle Wrote:
(2016-01-16, 13:58)Jhyrachy Wrote: I would love to use NFS but this would cut out all the windows clients...

Not entirely true - Kodi has its own NFS client built into the application. So while your Windows systems won't see the server through Explorer, Kodi as an application on Windows will. You could always still use SMB for 'casual' client access - that's how I use mine, SMB for files/day-to-day, NFS for Kodi with a shared MySQL database for all clients - Windows, Linux and Android.

Wow, nice then.

I'll made both like you.

Unrelated question that you are 100% legit to not know: since MySQL require static IP and i switch network from the router to a wifi-hotspot made by my linux server, there is a way to let the databse connect in both cases?

I think i could change the IP of the server while being the hotspot to being the same when i use my intranet, but i have no idea how.

TL;DR: in my intranet the server has IP 192.168.1.30. When the server make the hotspot, it has the IP 192.168.1.1, so MySQL will not work. There is a way for it to create the hotspot AND be 192.168.1.30, so that MySQL will work on both connections? Thanks.
I believe you can use a host name instead of an IP address in advancedsettings.xml, so that would theoretically take care of the changed address. I presume the same is true of the paths you'd have in the database, because the file paths would also change otherwise - so an NFS path using the host name would be necessary. I don't know that, though.

I'm assuming that your server only has one NIC? Otherwise, you could statically bind the two IP addresses and bridge between them - although you'd probably be better using a different subnet for one, as your server is now effectively acting as a router between the wired and wireless segments. Not really something I've ever played with, though.

You could also look up IP address aliasing, as I think that might allow both IP addresses to be live on the same NIC.
(2016-01-16, 17:09)Prof Yaffle Wrote: I believe you can use a host name instead of an IP address in advancedsettings.xml, so that would theoretically take care of the changed address. I presume the same is true of the paths you'd have in the database, because the file paths would also change otherwise - so an NFS path using the host name would be necessary. I don't know that, though.

I'm assuming that your server only has one NIC? Otherwise, you could statically bind the two IP addresses and bridge between them - although you'd probably be better using a different subnet for one, as your server is now effectively acting as a router between the wired and wireless segments. Not really something I've ever played with, though.

You could also look up IP address aliasing, as I think that might allow both IP addresses to be live on the same NIC.

thanks a lot, i'll take a look!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question about sharing library0