Ubuntu 14.04 & haswell NUC
Hi!

I´ve been running Kodi on Windows for a long time but wanted to try linux.

My requirements are to boot in EFI, run Kodi in the front and dropbox, and torrent etc .. in the background. I´m running it on HSW NUC (D54250WYKH - it´s a D54250WYK + 2.5 inch hdd). Stability is important hence I thought using the latest Ubuntu LTS release (LXDE based 14.04), and Kodi from the stable branch.

Out of the box Ubuntu 14.04 didn´t support the integrated Intel NIC and I had to get the driver (e1000e) from the Intel site. Also had problems getting audio over HDMI to work. In my hunt for a solution I tried a more recent release from ALSA daily build snapshot. Still no success, so I enabled LTS Enablement Stacks This bumped the kernel to 3.19.xx along with some other changes. Still didn´t work.

My method used to check if sound was sent over HDMI was to watch streaming media using a browser. Finally I tried to set the default audio output device by creating this file "/etc/asound.conf"

Code:
pcm.!default
{
    type plug slave.pcm
    {
        type hw card 0 device 3
    }
}

And it worked! Wish I tried this option from the start. Not sure if the updated alsa driver, nor LTS enabledment stack was required at all.

I also added the Intel repos to get the latest graphics driver. Then I found this thread Linux - VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04 and learnt that the graphics driver in the release I was using was outdated (version 1.4.0) and reading at the Intel linux site Intel also had dropped support for Ubuntu 14.04.

So, here I am, have it all set up, stability is important, still want recent graphics drivers to make sure a get a pleasant video experience. Would it be a bad move to enable Wsnipex´s PPA to get intels more recently updated graphics drivers into my system?

Or should I start all over, using another more bleeding edge Ubuntu release?
my vaapi ppa is pretty safe, mesa as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ubuntu 14.04 & haswell NUC0