HEVC H.265 Video Card
Tried it on Linux - latest Milhouse LE build?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I haven't, but I am willing to give it a try out of curiosity.
I will let you know how I get on.
Unfortunately, I attempted to install LE 7.90.005 which I needed as a base install before I could add the latest Milhouse update.
The problem was that it would not recognize my graphics card and I got the error 'failed to start xorg'

I Have posted the problem on this thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2411100
(2016-09-08, 17:42)madmarkym Wrote: Unfortunately, I attempted to install LE 7.90.005 which I needed as a base install before I could add the latest Milhouse update.
The problem was that it would not recognize my graphics card and I got the error 'failed to start xorg'

You could remove the card and install without it? Then update and put card back in?
(2016-09-08, 17:42)madmarkym Wrote: Unfortunately, I attempted to install LE 7.90.005 which I needed as a base install before I could add the latest Milhouse update.

Yeah - pain with new hardware. Never the less I replied to you in the other thread. Please gather the named logfiles - we have friends at amd (Edit: linux) development and they can tell us, what should work and what not.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-09-02, 09:02)Stefanseiner Wrote:
(2016-08-28, 12:49)atoulmin Wrote: Anyone tried the rx 460?

I will,
just bought one this morning because 4K files are lagging on my AMD 5350 system

Still testing, but first result:
h.264 files (8 Bit AVC) work fine with the RX460, cpu load is about 27% (normal Windows background stuff) and the GPU is doing the decoding.

At Windows desktop usage the GPU needs 3 watts more power than the same system without GPU (using AMD athlon 5035 apu with 4x 2,05 GHz and build-in Radeon R3 iGPU), and now the complete power consumption of my system is about 30 watts.
While 4K playback the power consumption is about 55 to 58 watts.

BUT:
h.265 coded HEVC files are still not working because Kodi seems to be not able to use the hardware acceleration of the GPU, cpu usage raises to 100% and the little athlon 5035 apu is too slow.
Now I'm trying to get DSPlayer addon for Kodi working because of it's external LAV decoder which works fine in Media Player Classic -> Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
(2016-09-15, 10:38)Stefanseiner Wrote:
(2016-09-02, 09:02)Stefanseiner Wrote:
(2016-08-28, 12:49)atoulmin Wrote: Anyone tried the rx 460?

I will,
just bought one this morning because 4K files are lagging on my AMD 5350 system

Still testing, but first result:
h.264 files (8 Bit AVC) work fine with the RX460, cpu load is about 27% (normal Windows background stuff) and the GPU is doing the decoding.

At Windows desktop usage the GPU needs 3 watts more power than the same system without GPU (using AMD athlon 5035 apu with 4x 2,05 GHz and build-in Radeon R3 iGPU), and now the complete power consumption of my system is about 30 watts.
While 4K playback the power consumption is about 55 to 58 watts.

BUT:
h.265 coded HEVC files are still not working because Kodi seems to be not able to use the hardware acceleration of the GPU, cpu usage raises to 100% and the little athlon 5035 apu is too slow.
Now I'm trying to get DSPlayer addon for Kodi working because of it's external LAV decoder which works fine in Media Player Classic -> Kodi DSPlayer – DirectShow Player for Windows
Have you tried your HEVC files in MPC. Possibly it's not a Kodi issue but driver related. There are many posts about broken DXVA with all AMD RX modells, no matter what driver version, in the AMD community forum.
yes, MPC works fine with 10 bit HEVC files.

The X64 version and the X86 version of MPC.
Driver version: Crimson v16.8.3

With the actual v16.9.1 nothing is working, neither with Kodi nor MPC
Any news regarding the AMD Drivers, are the Issues fixed in the meantime reg HEVC 10Bit playback in Windows?
is it ok now with RX460 and Kodi 17 last version and latest drivers 17.1.2 for HEVC 10 bits ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HEVC H.265 Video Card1