[RFC] reducing the amount of skin xml files
my latest idea was to remove both the ok and cancel button.

instead, add an apply button (which gives the users a better hint that they actually need to save the settings).
and they can simple use back to close the dialog.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
Or just rename OK to Apply & Close and get rid of cancel and put in Reset to Last Save. I know they are long names and not simple. Best maybe just add apply button for now. So be like windows (not sure about other OS) OK - Cancel - Apply

I like OK. Cancel seems useless I would rather reset
Adding apply would be great.

P.S
Any thought on combining DialogSeekBar.xml and DialogFullScreenInfo.xml. I have done it on skinning side with aeon mq6 skin.
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi

Don't forget the Thank User button if i have helped!
|
V
I'll get it right soon. I mean DialogSeekBar.xml and VideoFullScreen.xml
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi

Don't forget the Thank User button if i have helped!
|
V
(2016-01-30, 03:51)ronie Wrote: my latest idea was to remove both the ok and cancel button.

instead, add an apply button (which gives the users a better hint that they actually need to save the settings).
and they can simple use back to close the dialog.
Ronie, sorry late back to my own party so to speak. I don't think there is any argument about deep sixing the Ok and Cancel buttons. I would just prefer that the back button just saved the changes and not bother with an apply button. I understand the reason for the button in this screen now, but either we make the screen behave as the other setting screens do, or in my case I change the look of the screen to match the look of a dialog, thus giving the user the visual hint that we ain't in Kanas no more.

I'll be happy with whatever the consensus is either way, but will change my skins look of this dialog/screen if the behaviour is different to other setting screens as I think it's bad UX the way it is currently.

Wyrm
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
(2016-01-29, 17:44)wyrm Wrote: So could you work your magic and fold addonsettings.xml into settings.xml and drop the OK and Cancel buttons. The Defaults button could be handled the same way the functionality is handled in settings.xml. That is adding a setting item to the end of the list for restore settings to defaults.

Ronie,

If the DialogAddonSettings.xml is not merged into the DialogSettings.xml, could you please make the id's of both dialogs the same? I'm using a lot of includes to reduce the amount of code (I think that for reducing the amount of code, using includes is equally effective as merging windows). The difference in id's between most settings-windows (the default controls id's range from 7 to 14) and the DialogAddonSettings-window (the default controls id's range from 3 to 8) really produces a lot of additional code.

And maybe you could merge the DialogMediaFilter.xml into the DialogSettings.xml? I'm using the same include, so both windows are pretty similar.

Thanks!
@Malthus - I'm pretty sure MediaFilter was merged if you look at the PR https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8856
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
(2016-01-31, 08:56)wyrm Wrote: Ronie, sorry late back to my own party so to speak. I don't think there is any argument about deep sixing the Ok and Cancel buttons. I would just prefer that the back button just saved the changes and not bother with an apply button. I understand the reason for the button in this screen now, but either we make the screen behave as the other setting screens do, or in my case I change the look of the screen to match the look of a dialog, thus giving the user the visual hint that we ain't in Kanas no more.

I'll be happy with whatever the consensus is either way, but will change my skins look of this dialog/screen if the behaviour is different to other setting screens as I think it's bad UX the way it is currently.

Wyrm

well, it is a dialog... and the fact you (and me as well) have coded it as a fullscreen window might be part of the problem.
if you look at it in confluence, i must admit it's quite obvious you have to hit the ok or cancel button.
and pretty much all other settings dialogs have ok/cancel buttons as well..
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2016-02-03, 00:22)Malthus Wrote: Ronie,

If the DialogAddonSettings.xml is not merged into the DialogSettings.xml, could you please make the id's of both dialogs the same? I'm using a lot of includes to reduce the amount of code (I think that for reducing the amount of code, using includes is equally effective as merging windows). The difference in id's between most settings-windows (the default controls id's range from 7 to 14) and the DialogAddonSettings-window (the default controls id's range from 3 to 8) really produces a lot of additional code.

i would love to but i think that requires a lot of code changes in kodi.
and i don't think i have the skills to make those changes.
(2016-02-03, 02:08)ronie Wrote:
(2016-01-31, 08:56)wyrm Wrote: Ronie, sorry late back to my own party so to speak. I don't think there is any argument about deep sixing the Ok and Cancel buttons. I would just prefer that the back button just saved the changes and not bother with an apply button. I understand the reason for the button in this screen now, but either we make the screen behave as the other setting screens do, or in my case I change the look of the screen to match the look of a dialog, thus giving the user the visual hint that we ain't in Kanas no more.

Wyrm

well, it is a dialog... and the fact you (and me as well) have coded it as a fullscreen window might be part of the problem.
if you look at it in confluence, i must admit it's quite obvious you have to hit the ok or cancel button.
and pretty much all other settings dialogs have ok/cancel buttons as well..
Ronie,

in both of our defenses on this one, maybe the file should have been called DialogAddonSettings.xml (oh, wait it is, guilty as charged) .

Will go and make the appropriate changes to make it look like a dialog. Will have to remember not to steal (Um, I mean borrow) code from you in the future Big Grin. Nah, not going to happen (the borrowing I mean).

Wyrm
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
Let me start by saying, I know CCM Helix is not supported and not kept up anymore, but I love it and continue to use it today on still the latest version of Kodi 17 nightly.

I was wondering since these dialogs have been consolidated into many fewer dialogs, some of the dialog boxes in CCM Helix do not show up. For example. Cleaning Library no longer shows any dialog at all, and it feels/looks like Kodi is frozen for a bit until the library clean is done. Then control is returned and I got about my business.

Is there a way for me to fix this?
(2016-02-14, 14:12)cabrio Wrote: Let me start by saying, I know CCM Helix is not supported and not kept up anymore, but I love it and continue to use it today on still the latest version of Kodi 17 nightly.

I was wondering since these dialogs have been consolidated into many fewer dialogs, some of the dialog boxes in CCM Helix do not show up. For example. Cleaning Library no longer shows any dialog at all, and it feels/looks like Kodi is frozen for a bit until the library clean is done. Then control is returned and I got about my business.

Is there a way for me to fix this?

Yes, update them yourself or rollback to Kodi 16.
Thank you, but I'm just not sure where to start. Maybe a point in the right direction?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=250862

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RFC] reducing the amount of skin xml files1