[RFC] reducing the amount of skin xml files
(2016-01-18, 00:57)sualfred Wrote:
(2016-01-17, 22:43)ronie Wrote: yeah it's something worth exploring.
perhaps is should start with checking if it's possible to merge all the MyPVR**.xml files.

iirc, does this mean to return to pre-Helix? Where it was just a MyPVR.xml with different view types? (I hope I got it wrong).

i only had a very brief look at the core code last night. as far as kodi is concerned, those xml files are 100% identical so likely very easy to merge.
(with the exception of MyPVRGuide.xml which requires the hardcoded id's 10, 11, 12)

before helix we only had a single pvr window (MyTV) with a hardcoded id for each container.
currently we have multiple pvr windows (TVChannels, RadioChannels, TVRecordings, etc..) and that won't change.

in case of a merge, your MyPVR.xml could look like this:
Code:
<window>
    <defaultcontrol>50</defaultcontrol>
    <views>50</views>
    <controls>
        <include condition="Window.IsVisible(TVChannels) | Window.IsVisible(RadioChannels)">ChannelsView</include>
        <include condition="Window.IsVisible(TVRecordings) | Window.IsVisible(RadioRecordings)">RecordingsView</include>
    </controls>
</window>

i agree we should only go ahead with it if saves skinners the hassle of coding the same (or very similar) pvr window xml file 4 or 5 times.
it should indeed not result in a very cluttered / unreadable xml code.

at this point, i'm just throwing out ideas and nothing is set in stone ;-)
if the consensus is, it's not a good idea in this case, it won't happen.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
(2016-01-18, 11:50)thedeadman Wrote: In a similar vein, there are several notification dialogs ATM (dialogKaiToast, DialogExtendedProgressBar, DialogProgress). Might they also be collapsed into a single xml, e.g. dialogUserNotification.xml?

DialogProgress.xml is a modal dialog, so not possible to add that one.

we currently have these modeless dialogs:
- DialogBusy.xml
- DialogExtendedProgressBar.xml
- DialogKaiToast.xml
- DialogSeekBar.xml
- DialogSlider.xml
- DialogMuteBug.xml
- DialogVolumeBar.xml

(of which the last two have been merged)

if you or anyone else can think of some that could use the same xml file, let me know.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
My channels, timers and recordings window look completely different Wink

For sure, for me it's not a big deal to move the different layouts into one xml, but adding conditional includes/visiblities cost me more time (and code lines) than keeping them in in their own xmls. In my eyes this would be a step backwards.
And if I'm thinking back to the days I've learned skinning, I was happy to have own xml's for the most windows. It makes it easier to learn and to understand.

Long story short:
+1 for dialogs, which a very similar.
and "please not" for real base windows such as My**** Smile

Edit:
Merging MyPVRTimers and MyPVRSearch would make sense. I assume this two ones are nearly 1:1 in the most skins.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
from someone still trying to learn to skin, would merging not complicate learning etc?

I understand how seeing 4 instead of 14 would make you think there's less but will there still not be the same amount of code? i.e. if you merge 3 of 500 lines each into 1, then you have one xml of 1500 lines with multiple controls added for them to work as they did prior? Would that be correct or as usual with skinning am I misunderstanindg what the merging has to offer?

Current format helps, as you can debug and see where you are i.e. which xml is in focus, merging 4 into one just gives you one xml but no idea which control / visibility is actually in focus?

I'm sure if I knew what I was doing then this would probably make sense to me like it does to the skilled skinners who have replied?

Mike
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
Ronie, once again thank you, it's long overdue.

Now I know it's a throwback to the xbox days, but toast is what I scrape my Vegemite on in the morning. While you are at it, how about renaming DialogKaiToast.xml to DialogNotify.xml so that the function of the dialog is a little clearer?

Wyrm
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
(2016-01-18, 15:45)wyrm Wrote: Now I know it's a throwback to the xbox days, but toast is what I scrape my Vegemite on in the morning. While you are at it, how about renaming DialogKaiToast.xml to DialogNotify.xml so that the function of the dialog is a little clearer?

hehe, most of the skinners i talk to enjoy the exact same breakfast as you.
i'll add it to my shopping list.
(2016-01-18, 15:26)Mike_Doc Wrote: I understand how seeing 4 instead of 14 would make you think there's less but will there still not be the same amount of code? i.e. if you merge 3 of 500 lines each into 1, then you have one xml of 1500 lines with multiple controls added for them to work as they did prior? Would that be correct or as usual with skinning am I misunderstanindg what the merging has to offer?

nope, it doesn't work like that.
if you have three dialogs that all contain more or less the same code, you don't have to duplicate that code anymore in the new dialog.

perhaps you can have a look at this one:
https://github.com/ronie/xbmc/commit/34a...7a6810e78d

it merges 3 dialogs (a total of 177 lines) into a single one (with just 78 lines).
Marmite. Wink
Thanks Ronie for the additional explanation and example. I've never really had to work in the dialogX.xmls so don't know that much about them.
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
(2016-01-18, 18:17)Mike_Doc Wrote: Thanks Ronie for the additional explanation and example. I've never really had to work in the dialogX.xmls so don't know that much about them.

Lucky for you then. Wink
Great work on this Ronie, this is going to save a lot of duplicate skin code.
next one which is open for discussion:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8910
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Wow, great work.

Much appreciated.
Phenomenal™ Skin • ForumWebsiteGitHub
As I am new skinning and started by modding aeon mq6. I am welcoming the reduced xml's. One way I thought would be easier for new skinners having xml's moved to folders.

I have done this in aeon mq6 with the views and a few of my personal mods.

It would be good to have folders for. Views, PVR, Dialogs, Videos, Music, Custom Codes, Settings. Ect....

Just an idea.

The other thing is if this goes ahead, can skinning manual be updated to explain xml's and there function and how to find it within a skin. (Confluence) DialogkaiToast.xml had me stumped for a bit. Go the Vegemite...

Maybe rename it to DialogVegemiteToast.xml hahahaha
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi

Don't forget the Thank User button if i have helped!
|
V
Reducing enforced .xmls is definitly a step in the right direction. Infact, every step towards freedom is welcomed.
I see no reason to enforce any kind of xml structure - at all.

With dynamic plugin lists and onclick control, I have skipped almost all but the *nav.xml's myself (and they are the next to go, as I'd to test mixed media, Albums/movies/whatever in the same lists. (Think "Oh, Bruce Willis (old-timer-action-hero) made an album.. how awful, but how nice to know.. and here it is! right.. here.. next to Die Hard")

peace

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RFC] reducing the amount of skin xml files1