Win kodi has stopped working
-Hello everyone

I have been running kodi on windows flawlessly for about four months until recently. Now every time I click to start kodi, immediately I get a notification that states that kodi has stopped working and that a problem has caused the program to stop running and that windows will close the program and notify me if there is a solution(it does not notify me of a solution), it then asks me to debug(I have Microsoft visual studios 2013 installed, and the debugger states that, quote "A heap has been corrupted" but does not specify where, what, or why) or close the program. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling kodi but that has not worked either.

I have already looked around on the forums and I have not found anything.

thanks
Cohen
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Something is corrupt, at this point, a registry fubar the only time I've seen something like this. To err with caution, a proper re-install might yet save the day, the issue 'if it's Kodi' will likely reside with the C:\Users\PatK\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata so renaming the roaming folder to Kodi_OLD and re-install should get you operational if it's Kodi that has gone corrupt, but beware there might be something in the o/s that is at the bottom of this.
Could be the guisettings.xml or profiles.xml contained in the userdata has got corrupt.
Thank you everyone

after a few trouble shoots of my own I found the problem. I had installed a driver for a game controller around the same time this error started appearing. the device driver had corrupted a few key aspects of the main source code for kodi for whatever reason. a simple uninstall of the controller and a complete reinstall of kodi fixed the problem.

Thanks again for the help
I just had the same issue. Kodi would crash as soon as I started it up. It would say "Kodi has stopped working" and then shut down. It happened right after I plugged my PS3 controller into my PC to recharge. As soon as I unplugged it, Kodi started to work again. (this is after 3 complete deletes and reinstalls, including registry entries)

Thanks Cohen for the tip about the game controller.
(2016-01-18, 03:53)nickr Wrote: debug log (wiki)

Why cant we download kodi from the websiteHuh
I was suffering this problem for much of my morning so created an account to share my resolution.

My Kodi on my study computer was fine, but the HTPC would "Kodi has stopped working" 10 seconds after starting the app.

The only real difference in the logs were this:
Code:
13:41:34 T:7480   ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: HTTP returned error 502
13:41:34 T:7480   ERROR: CCurlFile::Open failed with code 502 for http://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/gotham/addons.xml.md5
13:41:34 T:7480   ERROR: XFILE::CFileCache::Open - failed to open source <http://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/gotham/addons.xml.md5>
13:41:34 T:7480   ERROR: Failed to fetch checksum for directory listing http://mirrors.kodi.tv/addons/gotham/addons.xml for repository repository.xbmc.org.

I'd noticed the 502 on the Kodi download page too assuming something offline, I disabled the repo the only way I could given Kodi only gave me a few seconds before crash, I changed it directly in the program files directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons\repository.xbmc.org\addons.xml (I disabled it by renaming it to --addons.xml)

Its a pretty inelegant solution but better than Kodi not starting at all as it's now working as expected.

Hope that helps someone.
(2016-01-29, 05:46)dori_dave Wrote: I was suffering this problem for much of my morning so created an account to share my resolution.

My Kodi on my study computer was fine, but the HTPC would "Kodi has stopped working" 10 seconds after starting the app.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\addons\repository.xbmc.org\addons.xml (I disabled it by renaming it to --addons.xml)

Its a pretty inelegant solution but better than Kodi not starting at all as it's now working as expected.

Hope that helps someone.

The exact same thing was happening to me just now as well, and your solution fixed it. Thanks!
(2016-01-29, 08:01)VCDmonger Wrote:
(2016-01-29, 05:46)dori_dave Wrote: I was suffering this problem for much of my morning so created an account to share my resolution.

Hope that helps someone.

The exact same thing was happening to me just now as well, and your solution fixed it. Thanks!
This is really stupid thing to do.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Hoi Martijn,
I have the same trouble lately for me it did NOT solve the problem and think it is stupid to stop addonx.xml.

It starts kodi but after 5 seconds in main screen kodi gets into a loop end exits.

not to hijack this topic but here is my log.

Debug log
Put your log on pastebin and remove it from here please. And please make it a debug log.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-01-29, 08:32)nickr Wrote: Put your log on pastebin and remove it from here please. And please make it a debug log.

done. Sorry Smile
I'm now having the same error. Whats worse is I can't even get into debug mode to be able to get a log to post to pastebin. Grrrr. Was working so perfectly too. No crashes or anything. Did a complete delete and re-install; still crashes on startup.
(2016-01-29, 09:10)discocandy Wrote:
(2016-01-29, 08:32)nickr Wrote: Put your log on pastebin and remove it from here please. And please make it a debug log.

done. Sorry Smile
It's not a debug log.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi has stopped working0