sheild tv and windows network share problems
I hope someone out there can point me in the right direction to get my movie folders shared over my windows network onto my shield TV. First off I have an old PC in my attic running windows 7, I have set up a home network which my laptop and main HTPC both connect to and are both running win7. Kodi on both these systems has no problems adding and playing my movie and music folders over this network. However when I try to add folders on kodi withmy shield TV I keep hitting a problem. It recognises the network and all my drives just fine but when I try to add a folder from any of these drives containg my movie and music collection it keeps asking for a 'user name' and 'password'.. This never happened on my laptop or main HTPC . No problem I guess but when I enter my information which I guess is 'homegroup' for username and my network password which I know, kodi just keeps going back asking me to input the information again asif I am entering the wrong information. The fact that my drives are setup to share without the need for entering a password has got me even more puzzled as to why this is happening.
I've never been able to access a SMB share from an android device without a username and password. If you're using "homegroup" to connect your Windows laptop to your Windows HTPC, that's what letting you connect without the need for a username and password on those devices. Android OS can't use "homegroup" credentials. Try adding a new user with a password to your laptop and HTPC, (use the same username and password on both). Then see if you can use those credentials when it asks for a username and password on your Nvidia Sheild TV. This works for me on my Shield TV.
Current equipment in my "Kodi system", v17.1:
HTPC Win 10, i5 4690K 3.5 GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvida GTX 970, 500GB SSD
Nvidia Shield TV 16GB w/ Flirc and 64GB microSD card
1st gen Fire TV Stick, (for traveling)
Qnap 431+ NAS w/ 9TB
HDHomeRun Plus/Extend
Old DTV remotes, Yatse app and Logitech Harmony Smart Control
Thanks for your reply. Would changing from home group to workgroup work? Never been very savy when it comes to networking
(2016-01-19, 08:51)mrhyde1969 Wrote: Thanks for your reply. Would changing from home group to workgroup work? Never been very savy when it comes to networking

I don't think so. I think you'd still need a username and password to connect even switched to a workgroup.
Qnap 431+ NAS w/ 9TB
HDHomeRun Plus/Extend
Do you perhaps use the same username and password on all your windows PCs?
Windows tries the current user credentials when accessing a smb share.
Try using your windows login and password in Kodi.
(2016-01-19, 16:56)wweich Wrote: Do you perhaps use the same username and password on all your windows PCs?
Windows tries the current user credentials when accessing a smb share.
Try using your windows login and password in Kodi.

I never set a windows login password. The password I presume it's asking for is the one I entered when I setup my homegroup network? I have never set a password for logging into windows on any of my pc's
Created a new user with a password. Still no luck. This is so annoying it's a killer for the sheild for me if I can't get it to connect to my windows network
debug_log (wiki)

We are all guessing what the issue is, lets see the log to see whats going on

Cheers!
Will try and get that debug soon. It's hard finding time atm work and kids ?. Thanks for help
are your windows sharing and security permissions setup up correctly?
(2016-01-20, 16:02)rontonomo Wrote: are your windows sharing and security permissions setup up correctly?

Hi. Yes I should imagine that they are , as stated I have no problems connecting my HTPC and laptop to my pc in the attick and sharing my folders over these three devices. I guess it's an android limitation
I really don't want to have to move away from smb shares. Just don't have time to start messing about. Was kinda hoping sharing files on the sheild would be easy but guess not
mrhyde1969, try one last thing to verify your Windows share.

1. On your "attic PC" in file manager, right-click on one of your media folders that has content in it, like movies.
2. Click on "Properties" and then click the "Sharing" tab at the top.
3. At the top is an area box titled "Network File and Folder Sharing" and in it, is a line that says "Network Path:". This should have your share path (i.e.\\ATTICPC\MOVIES). If it doesn't, that may be the issue, but even if it does, go to the next step anyway.
4. Click on the "Advanced Sharing..." button.
5. Make sure there is a check mark next to "Share this folder"
6. Click on the "Permissions" button.
7. There should be an "Everyone" group in the top white, "Group or user name:" box. Click it so it's highlighted.
8. Put a check mark by "Full Control" under "Allow" in the bottom white, "Permissions for Everyone" box.
9. Click "Apply" and "OK" all the way out of the dialog boxes. Then try to go to the share path from step 3 using the new username and password you created from your shield TV.

If all that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. You'll need to do a debug log like suggested. Good luck.
Qnap 431+ NAS w/ 9TB
HDHomeRun Plus/Extend
Have you tried disabling Password Protected Sharing?
It's under the "All Networks" section (at the bottom) of the advanced sharing properties window.
You can also try turning off the windows homegroup management.
I am continuing to have the same issues with my original shield. Sometimes I can get my share drive to connect and it works for a while, but then it will stop for no apparent reason and I can no longer get it to connect again even after this of all devices. My network share is on up to date Windows 7, shield had been updated to the latest 6.1 shield experience. I have also tried factory reset on the field and I seemed to work in the beginning them it stopped again ... Waste of time. What next

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
sheild tv and windows network share problems0