• 8(current)
Music New Features/Improvements Request Summary
Looks like there are some new tags introduced to iTunes recently

NEW: added support for iTunes-specific ID3v2 grouping tag field GRP1 as GROUPING.
NEW: added support for reading ID3v2.2 iTunes tag fields for classical music MOVEMENT, MOVEMENTTOTAL, MOVEMENTNAME.

Taken from the mp3tag changelog.

http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=57
Weighted Music Randomization

I love having music playback at random when navigating the menu, between shows, or even when letting Kodi idle. I have a smart playlist that grabs songs by tag, and is set to play in random order. This works great..
BUT
Some songs play too often, and I'd love it if I could give songs individual weights (e.g. rankings). Higher weighted songs would have a higher chance of playing - these would be songs that are always welcome to be heard at any given moment. Those that are lower-weighted would be rare - those ones that only need to be heard once in a blue moon.

I don't think this functionality exists, does it? It would give the music randomization process a nice "auto-curation" feature.
Hello.

I have 4 Kodi installs on LibreELEC hooked into stereos around the house and would love to be able to sync the audio for whole house audio. I have looked into this a little bit and it seems like some people are using Squeezebox to accomplish this and another potential seems to use snapcast. Is there any chance that an easier setup would be incorporated into Kodi so that we can have multi-room audio? Thank you very much for your consideration.
recognize/use "Sort by" tag in mp3s!
I really thought it would be included in v.17
(2017-05-29, 17:13)nostradamust Wrote: recognize/use "Sort by" tag in mp3s!
I really thought it would be included in v.17
If you mean the ARTISTSORT (TSOP), ALBUMARTISTSORT (TS02) and COMPOSERSORT (TSOC) tags then support for these has been added in v18. Perhaps you would like to test out the nightly?

To see the use you need to (re)scan music files into the library that have at least some of these tags embedded, and then add <useartistsortname>true</promptfulltagscan> to the section of advancesettings.xml. When the artist, album or songs nodes is sorted by artist name it is the sort name that will be used e.g. "Eric Clapton" with sortname "Clapton, Eric" can be seen under "C" for Clapton rather than "E" for Eric.
(2017-02-02, 17:13)unclefester Wrote: Hello!
I've been using Kodi as a hi quality music player (on Raspberry 2 + IQ Audio DAC, OSMC, all flac files and Yatse as remote) in my living room for almost a year now, and I must say it's almost perfect.
Right now I'm testing the new web interface on and from a laptop and it seems really, really fantastic!
Now it's possible to remotely command Kodi very nicely also from a notebook and, what's more important, it's much easier and faster to create playlists, which is not possible to do from Yatse.

The only 2 things I still miss by now are:

- A much requested feature I believe: Artist named by the MusicBrainz fields of SortOrder set. It's really really annoying to find Bob Dylan under "B" instead of "D".
- A great macro category to be put aside of Artist and so on, that uses Year to group the releases: I like to prepare playlist by group of years (i.e. decades and so on) and to make standings with my friends for particular years, and thus such a feature would be very appreciated.

Hello again!

I've got other few points:

- I'm very happy the ArtistSort feature is on the go. Fantastic!
- Unfortunately I noticed that the feature for creating playlists on the web interface is only for local, i.e. the playlist is created only on that notebook/device, and on that browser, but not in the Kodi system being used, for instance in my case: on my Kodi system on my OSMC OS, on my Raspberry Pi2.
The best would be to create playlists that resides on the central system, but graphically on a remote control like Yatse. But to be able to do this, the system needs to have particular API for playlist exposed. Is this API creation programmed in some way in the development of Kodi system? Or is there someone aware of a workaround to get this goal?
- Managing Multi-CD Boxes: when you have a double CD is not a terrible thing to handle... tap play on Yatse, and you listen to the 2 cds one after an other. But if you have a medium-big box, and it is recognized by MusicBrainz (or you register it in MB), like for example "The Island Years" by John Martyn, 17 audio CDs, that are ALMOST perfectly all the releases for Island... OK... it's a complete mess: you can't divide them like the original releases because in the box there is new bonus tracks for each CD, and if you want to listen to only a particular album it's very very difficult to distinguish it in the middle of all these tracks.
Is there something in the way that can help in managing these situations? Or maybe any workaround?

Thanks in advance
Alex
Thank you for this thread. I have been using Kodi since the XBMC "Dharma" days, and I use Kodi for both Music and Video playback. I am not a programmer, so please bear with me.

Fix the scraping algorithm to prevent gaps in artist information. Currently, even with proper artist.nfo files and directory structure, artist information for almost a quarter of my library doesn't get scraped. This includes artists that have all their information included in the artist.nfo file.

I hope this makes sense.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche
(2017-06-02, 11:54)linesma Wrote: Fix the scraping algorithm to prevent gaps in artist information. Currently, even with proper artist.nfo files and directory structure, artist information for almost a quarter of my library doesn't get scraped. This includes artists that have all their information included in the artist.nfo file.

I would be happy to see this raised as bug/support request on the Music Support forum (rather than languish in features). I am looking at scraper fixes/improvements at the moment for v18. Your library could make good test data if you are willing to upload the MyMusicXX.db file somewhere on the cloud (e.g. dropbox) and PM me a link to download it.

Most likely the issue is the way Kodi detemines a unique common folder for each artist where it expects to find the artist.NFO file. Once you have collaboration albums (more than one album artist), or artists featuring on other albums that are not album artists the algorithm for this breaks down.
(2017-06-02, 13:59)DaveBlake Wrote:
(2017-06-02, 11:54)linesma Wrote: Fix the scraping algorithm to prevent gaps in artist information. Currently, even with proper artist.nfo files and directory structure, artist information for almost a quarter of my library doesn't get scraped. This includes artists that have all their information included in the artist.nfo file.

I would be happy to see this raised as bug/support request on the Music Support forum (rather than languish in features). I am looking at scraper fixes/improvements at the moment for v18. Your library could make good test data if you are willing to upload the MyMusicXX.db file somewhere on the cloud (e.g. dropbox) and PM me a link to download it.

Most likely the issue is the way Kodi detemines a unique common folder for each artist where it expects to find the artist.NFO file. Once you have collaboration albums (more than one album artist), or artists featuring on other albums that are not album artists the algorithm for this breaks down.

I would be happy to help out. I will PM you with a couple of questions to make sure I give you what you need. This has been my biggest complaint/ gripe about Kodi since I started using it back in the "Dharma" days.
And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Friedrich Nietzsche
As it happens the scrapers are in the process of being reworked, and nfo support is still to be added to the new scrapers so it would be good to know what you define as proper artist.nfo files and how you create them, I'll leave you in Dave's capable hands on exactly what he needs.
(2017-06-02, 17:11)jjd-uk Wrote: As it happens the scrapers are in the process of being reworked, and nfo support is still to be added to the new scrapers so it would be good to know what you define as proper artist.nfo files and how you create them, I'll leave you in Dave's capable hands on exactly what he needs.

Thank you for your response. I used the Wiki page on music nfo's as a guide. I create the nfo files in notepad or gEdit depending on which platform I am using when I add the music files to my library. If the artist is listed on Musicbrainz, the nfo file just contains the url to the artist's page. If they are not listed there or I want to add additional information, my nfo files contain the following text:

Code:
<artist>
  <name>Bodyslam</name>
  <genre>Thai Rock</genre>
  <formed>2002</formed>
  <biography>The band is best known by the unique voice of the leading vocalist, Athiwara Khongmalai, and the band's live performances. Formed in 2002 from members of the band La-On (ละอ่อน), Bodyslam has gone on to be one of the most sucessful Thai rock bands.</biography>
  <album>
    <title>Bodyslam</title>
    <year>2002</year>
  </album>
  <album>
    <title>Drive</title>
    <year>2003</year>
  </album>
  <album>
    <title>Believe</title>
    <year>2005</year>
  </album>
  <album>
    <title>Save My Life</title>
    <year>2007</year>
  </album>
  <album>
    <title>Play Project</title>
    <year>2009</year>
  </album>
  <album>
    <title>คราม Kraam</title>
    <year>2010</year>
  </album>
  <album>
    <title>Dharmajāti</title>
    <year>2014</year>
  </album>

</artist>
http://musicbrainz.org/artist/3330d920-689e-40aa-94cf-96a86217272a

I have been in contact with Dave and hope to give him the information he needs in the next day or so.
Hi there. I moved from jriver MC to Kodi and one feature i really miss is the multiple ways you can add both audio and video to the current queue in JRMC, If you are familiar with JRMC their solution is elegant allowing more queue options than you probably would ever need whilst allowing the last used option to be immediately available. I imagine this would take some doing for Kodi though and no doubt would not be to everyones taste.

Kodi does however currently have the ability to invoke a 'choose menu' as the default select action for video with a 'queue' option available in the 'more' sub menu. I have a large music and music video library and often queue up a mixture of both media types. When scrolling through your collection you frequently just want to hear a song next rather than it being added to the bottom of a sometimes very long current queue. I would therefore really love to see the following 'improvements/features:

Expand /amend the menu invoked in 'media settings/video/default select action/choose' - to include 'queue', 'queue next', 'show info' and 'more'
&
Either a new setting in 'media settings/music/default select action' for option to choose the same menu as above for audio as well as video (perhaps options for audio could be 'choose' and 'default' (default setting would honour the current setting for music in 'player settings', 'choose' would override it) or add 'choose' as an option for music in 'player settings'

Of course the ability for the user to customise the 'choose' menu would be great and allow for loads more options both for queuing and other actions to be made available in the future. These options could then be added/removed /moved by the user as required to suit there preference . I suspect this would be a big ask though!

Keep up the good work

Many thanks
Hello.

I would like to be able to play PCM 32bit 352Khz and DSD512 files through an external USB DAC able to reproduce these formats (i have a Gustard X20U). It seems that now Kodi is only able to send PCM 24bit 192Khz files and to convert higher definition ones in this format.

Thanks for your work and for this thread.
(2017-10-27, 09:28)nuke2000 Wrote: Hi there. I moved from jriver MC to Kodi and one feature i really miss is the multiple ways you can add both audio and video to the current queue in JRMC, If you are familiar with JRMC their solution is elegant allowing more queue options than you probably would ever need whilst allowing the last used option to be immediately available. I imagine this would take some doing for Kodi though and no doubt would not be to everyones taste.

Kodi does however currently have the ability to invoke a 'choose menu' as the default select action for video with a 'queue' option available in the 'more' sub menu. I have a large music and music video library and often queue up a mixture of both media types. When scrolling through your collection you frequently just want to hear a song next rather than it being added to the bottom of a sometimes very long current queue. I would therefore really love to see the following 'improvements/features:

Expand /amend the menu invoked in 'media settings/video/default select action/choose' - to include 'queue', 'queue next', 'show info' and 'more'
&
Either a new setting in 'media settings/music/default select action' for option to choose the same menu as above for audio as well as video (perhaps options for audio could be 'choose' and 'default' (default setting would honour the current setting for music in 'player settings', 'choose' would override it) or add 'choose' as an option for music in 'player settings'

Of course the ability for the user to customise the 'choose' menu would be great and allow for loads more options both for queuing and other actions to be made available in the future. These options could then be added/removed /moved by the user as required to suit there preference . I suspect this would be a big ask though!

Keep up the good work

Many thanks
 I was just reviewing this thread, and think I agree on the "queue" issue.  This is what I think you want?

First assume a song or mixed music now-playing playlist exists (might be empty).

On the context menu for a song or music video (within music library view) you have the following 3 options

1.  Queue now -- stop playback of current media (if playing).  Add selected listitem at current position in the now playing playlist.  Start playback at this item.

2.  Queue next -- insert selected listitem into the "next" slot of the now playing playlist.  Currently playing item is unaffected.

3.  Queue last -- append selected listitem as last item in now playing playlist.

This functionality could be extended to m3u playlists and maybe albums (treat as playlist).

If no now playing playlist exists, any of these options would result in creating a now playing playlist with the selected listitem and there could be an option to "queue and start playback" or just "queue". 

I'm thinking primarily about local music / music video items.  Not sure how this would work with plug-in / streaming content.

I suppose JSON and Python interfaces would have to modified to support this as well.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Hi Dave,
Not sure if this request can actually be categorised as a new music player feature, but is music related. Basically, I wondered if it was possible when creating a Music Playlist in Kodi, the user has the option to save playlists to a local drive, outside of the Kodi playlist folder and play from there? Or even an option to automatically create a back-up to a local drive. I have had the misfortune (more than once) when installing a clean version of Kodi onto my machine of forgetting to make a copy of my current playlist folder, thus losing everything. On one particular occasion in my haste to install a clean copy of Kodi, I ended up deleting 70+ custom playlists, some with hundreds of tracks which had been compiled and individually added too over the course of several months. I realise these instances have been caused by own foolishness, but have always thought this would be quite a nice feature to have and safeguard accidentally deleting playlist collections by mistake...
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music New Features/Improvements Request Summary7