Which ambient light system do you use?
(2016-02-11, 20:34)funkhouser Wrote: I'm trying to setup (PC, Linux) Kodi with Boblight. My 50 piece WS2801 strip isn't working properly. Only the first LED (nearest Arduino Uno connected USB) lights up and cycles through but it isn't controllable from the command line. Sometimes the 2nd, 3rd & 4th LEDs light up too, less often more random LED light will light up along the strip but only faintly and don't cycle. Only the LED nearest the Arduino lights up properly and cycles.

I'm confident in the power adapter, less so the connections to it. When I first plug in the strip all of the LEDs light up for a fraction of a second.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate is, is the strip a dud or is it a power/ grounding issue?

Check the connection of the led stripe. I have a stripe with the lpd8806 controller and although it was nice that the manufacturer soldered a cable with a plug to the end, he unfortunately soldered it to the output. That was why my leds were behaving oddly at first. So my best guess is check if you connected the arduino to the input of the stripe. I dont know about the WS2801 but with the lpd8806 it is +5V and GND for power and ground and DI (data input) and CLKI (clock input). Also the Arduino and the led stripe should have the same ground. This ensures there are no differences in potential.
(2016-02-10, 08:07)Piers Wrote: I'm considering building one, but all my HTPCs are low-powered.

Which CPU are the three above users using for their kits?

With Hyperion you don't need CPU power.... my setup is a arm board... RPi2.... but works it model 1 too... Wink
Okay, so it's really low-budget but looks decent IMO.... I've used a string of red christmas lights for ambient lighting, I'll have to see if I can find a pic.
Can someone give me a recommendation, I want to build a ambient light setup, what i would like to know before i go ahead with it is, What setup works best with a windows 10 htpc and KODI and what is the status with 3D compatability with SBS/TAB and MVC support
Main System - HTPC - Intel I3 6300 - Asrock z170 - 16 GB DDR4 - 128gb SSD - 65" UHD HDR Sony Android TV - Pioneer VSX 1130-K - 7.2.2 speakers
Other devices currently in use - 55" 3D UHD LG TV - 2 Fire TV's - Nexus Player - MiniMX s905 - Voyo Vmac Mini
Ubuntu Server - 12 TB NAS - MYSQL - Torrent Box
I need a little help. The main video source is the htpc. I have a PlayStation and we use the smart TV Netflix feature on occasion. I don't think I want to bother with making the PlayStation and Netflix support the ambient lighting. Leaning towards Hyperion. I have the following:

-Htpc running Ubuntu -ubuntu, x86, jodi 16.1, nvidia graphics.
-ws8212b led strip 150leds
-55'' tv
-1st gen raspberry pi
-5v 10a supply

Do I need an arduino? Anything else. I'm somewhat confused about how Hyperion interfaces.

Is it basically htpc w/ kodi add-on sends info to rpi over the network? Rpi sends led lighting commands through the strip.

Does this make the most sense for my setup?
(2016-01-28, 17:20)sualfred Wrote: 100x zones Adalight setup:
- WS2801 LED bulbs mounted on an selfmade metal frame
- Arduino based
- Controlled by AmbiBox on my Window HTPC