v15 Wrong Album tags in Kodi (mp3)
I added my music to kodi.
Several Albums are two times in the library.
Lets concentrate on one album:

I checked everything double, not whitespaces in the album and so on. This happens if I add this album to kodi:

He adds the Album two times.

In the first Album you can see this:

Track 9 and 11 are missing. They are in the "second" Album:

I tried to add these Album to another Media Player (AIMP) and this worked just fine:

I also tried to renew the library by removing the source and readding it. I also cleaned the library and did a new scan.
The problem remained.
Some ideas:

1. Agree this is frustrating. Removing source and rescanning will not fix.

2. When all songs have an album artist, Kodi will use album artist and album title to determine if a song is part of an album.

3. If there also are optional tags with the MusicBrainz album artist Id and album Id, Kodi will also use this to determine if a song is part of an album.

4. If you remove the album from your source folders and update, then replace the album and update again with debug logging turned on (see debug log (wiki)) and post your log to pastebin or xbmclogs, you might be able to see what is happening.

5. You might also look at the artist view (turn on "compilation artists" in music settings) and see if you have two entries for Reinhard Mey.

6. My biggest problem has been that I accidentally got non-printing characters in my artist or album artist tags that are encoded in UTF-16. Second problem is some songs have the MusicBrainz Id tags, but some do not, or the tags are not the same in every song.

7. Kodi 16 has many fixes and improvements in the music library.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Get mp3tag, check for extended tags. That is your problem.
I have the same issue, triple checked with mp3tag, whole album is properly tagged. It is happening on few albums, really don't know why. It's the same on 16rc1 and 15.2 final.
(2016-01-24, 10:38)9800pro Wrote: I have the same issue, triple checked with mp3tag, whole album is properly tagged. It is happening on few albums, really don't know why. It's the same on 16rc1 and 15.2 final.

then we need some sample files.
I'm sure @DaveBlake is willing to see what's causing it. Likely different content in the different tags
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2016-01-24, 03:24)helta Wrote: Get mp3tag, check for extended tags. That is your problem.

You seem to be right. I have this problem with several Albums... I guess I have to change every single album right?

edit:
If a dev is reading this:
The behaviour of kodi is not very good in this case. Extended tags seem to be non standard tags and therfore they should be ignored.
(2016-01-24, 10:42)Martijn Wrote:
(2016-01-24, 10:38)9800pro Wrote: I have the same issue, triple checked with mp3tag, whole album is properly tagged. It is happening on few albums, really don't know why. It's the same on 16rc1 and 15.2 final.

then we need some sample files.
I'm sure @DaveBlake is willing to see what's causing it. Likely different content in the different tags
Will get them later, going out with my kid nowBig Grin
(2016-01-24, 11:34)theincogtion Wrote:
(2016-01-24, 03:24)helta Wrote: Get mp3tag, check for extended tags. That is your problem.

You seem to be right. I have this problem with several Albums... I guess I have to change every single album right?

edit:
If a dev is reading this:
The behaviour of kodi is not very good in this case. Extended tags seem to be non standard tags and therfore they should be ignored.

I don't think your issue is having the Artist and Albumartist tags - these look the same as on my system. What might be the issue is that tracks 9 & 11 or that album are tagged slightly differently than the others.

When I add a new album to my PC I select all tracks and open them in MP3Tag, select them all again and amend the info on the left side to what I want (and saving) - normally this is altering the Genre and adding the AlbumArtist tag etc.... I also delete anything in the Disc field. If you have any field that says "Keep" other than the Title and Track fields, it means you have more than one entry for that Tag and that could be your issue - it might just be that on those two tracks, something is slightly different.

Either way running through the process in Mp3Tag should solve the issue - almost certain the issue will be with tags rather than Kodi.

Something else I noticed recently, albeit with Movies not Music, but Kodi was automatically picking up a deleted movie in my Recycle Bin and putting it in my library. I'd just got Psycho on Blu-Ray, so added it and deleted my DVD version on my PC, after updating library, both were still showing and the one in the recycle bin could still be played etc... Not a great issue at all, but just wondered if you have any files in your recycle bin it could be that - probably not as it is specific tracks that you have issues with not duplication.

Would be interesting to see what MP3Tag shows as your extended tags on the other tacks of that album? I had an issue the other day where an album had Artist, AlbumArtist and I think the third was Album Artist (with a space) - the first two were tagged as Bob Seger but the third was tagged as Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band, so the whole album was showing in my library twice.

Sorry for rambling, hope that helps!!
(2016-01-24, 17:07)Buff Wrote: I don't think your issue is having the Artist and Albumartist tags - these look the same as on my system. What might be the issue is that tracks 9 & 11 or that album are tagged slightly differently than the others.

When I add a new album to my PC I select all tracks and open them in MP3Tag, select them all again and amend the info on the left side to what I want (and saving) - normally this is altering the Genre and adding the AlbumArtist tag etc.... I also delete anything in the Disc field. If you have any field that says "Keep" other than the Title and Track fields, it means you have more than one entry for that Tag and that could be your issue - it might just be that on those two tracks, something is slightly different.

Either way running through the process in Mp3Tag should solve the issue - almost certain the issue will be with tags rather than Kodi.

I already did this before I was opening this thread. This was also my first thought. But as I already said: removing the extended musicbrainz tags solved my issue.

In the first posting I had this screenshort:
http://abload.de/image.php?img=2016-01-2...paepxh.png

You can see that everything is marked and only the title and track field show "keep" (beibehalten).

And for all other albums it was the same issue which had been solved by removing the extended tags.
Sorry hadn't realised that you had it sorted.

Rather than changing each single album you can just open the root folder in MP3Tag, select all tracks and delete the appropriate field - this won't alter anything else, but should sort your issue with the artist tags
I found my issue. Somehow even thou i removed album artist with mp3tag it remained in all but one song. Because of that Kodi showed me 2 same albums with that one song being alone in second. And now strangest thing, when i added album artist to that song in mp3tag under that column it's shown only under that song... Why does mp3tag show album artist column empty but under extended info album artist is filled...??
(2016-01-24, 17:27)9800pro Wrote: I found my issue. Somehow even thou i removed album artist with mp3tag it remained in all but one song. Because of that Kodi showed me 2 same albums with that one song being alone in second. And now strangest thing, when i added album artist to that song in mp3tag under that column it's shown only under that song... Why does mp3tag show album artist column empty but under extended info album artist is filled...??

mp3tag reads the tags and presents them in a consistent UI, regardless of the actual tag structure/layout (which varies by tag type. Sometimes that can make it harder to see just what is causing a strange problem.

99% of the time you don't have to concern yourself. When I can't understand what is happening, I will look at the file in a hex reader and see exactly what is in the tags, and look at the Kodi music database and see exactly what is in the database. Of course, it isn't reasonable to expect everyone to do that. But since music tagging doesn't really have strict rules, there's going to be differences in how different tagging software works and while Kodi might try to deal with any differences intelligently, it isn't going to get it right 100% of the time.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
Yea, i understand. Now i just select all music in mp3tag, expand id tags and remove all fields which are possible to make issues. I found that album_artist and albumartist are the biggest culprits.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wrong Album tags in Kodi (mp3)1