UPNP + FIREWALL...
Hi all !

It seems that UPNP ports are changing every time i restart my HTPC... is it normal?
This is quite anoying because i need to analyse them and update accordingly my firewall configuration. :-(

my question: is there a way to tell KODI to use specific (pre-determined) ports?

I am using Kodibuntu and just love it.

thanks guys!

PS: did a search but no interesting post...
I am encountering this problem as a well. Norton Firewall's pop-ups asking if I want to allow connections are driving me mad.

I'm wasn't even sure it was UPnP because Norton reports "an unknown service is starting." How do you know it is UPnP?

I told Norton to allow connections to Kodi but that is not sufficient to quiet the pop-ups. I eventually brute-forced it by allowing connections from the local network to all ports between 1000 and 2400 that are not used by other services. It seems to have done the trick but seems not great from a security standpoint plus it was a pain to enter the ranges while avoiding other services.

Failing a way to tell KODI to use specific ports, is there a list somewhere, even if just in source code, of the ports that will be tried? How is the port to use determined?
I've been looking at the ports Kodi is listening on.

It always listens on UDP port 1900, which is used by UPnP. It always listens on TCP ports 1085 and 1920 and one other TCP port which varies seemingly randomly every time Kodi runs. On the last 3 runs I have seen 1160, 1183 and 1213. I don't know what services Kodi is using any of these ports for. According to what I've found 1920 is for "Candle directory service". 1085 is for "Web Objects". Nothing is listed for 1160 & 1183. 1213 is apparently used by "MPC LIFENET".

What is Kodi using this random port for and how can it be set to a fixed value or a small range of values? Although the 3 listed here are fairly close, I've seen it use ports as high as the mid 2200's.
(2017-01-14, 15:29)msfc Wrote: I told Norton to allow connections to Kodi but that is not sufficient to quiet the pop-ups. I eventually brute-forced it by allowing connections from the local network to all ports between 1000 and 2400 that are not used by other services. It seems to have done the trick but seems not great from a security standpoint plus it was a pain to enter the ranges while avoiding other services.

Next time I restarted the system all these port permissions disappeared. Norton Firewall clearly has problems. I have turned off the port blocking part of the firewall. Nevertheless it would still be good to find an explanation of the random port used by Kodi.
I fix Home PCs as a profitable hobby and IMHO Norton creates more problems than it fixes. Your router should be blocking any inbound traffic, from the internet and there is no real reason to firewall internal network traffic.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2017-01-16, 09:40)speedwell68 Wrote: I fix Home PCs as a profitable hobby and IMHO Norton creates more problems than it fixes. Your router should be blocking any inbound traffic, from the internet and there is no real reason to firewall internal network traffic.
I agree. Unfortunately if you simply turn off connection blocking Norton keeps raising big red warnings. But I have found that if you click the Settings button beside "Connection Blocking", then pick the Advanced Settings... item in the drop down "gear" menu in the bottom left of the window that appears then uncheck the box beside "Enable services/ports firewall" in the Advanced Settings window all will be well.

I'd still like to know what Kodi is using this seemingly random port for, whether it is truly random or can the choice be controlled.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPNP + FIREWALL...0